USA Today: Three theories why the offense is struggling

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Fix 1 & 3 then 2 takes care of itself. To me the biggest problem is lousy first down calls. Lots of behind the line losses and 2 yard runs up the middle. They are perpetually behind the chains.

I’m still waiting for someone to tell me what that play is where AI runs a deep loop behind the QB. Then he stops and I guess jumps up and down?

FB94

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Very interesting read. I hope KK does some self scouting and decides to change play sequences with more vertical route layers or crossing routes both starting with pre snap movement. Move Dhop around to both sides. Past few weeks haven’t worked so nows the time to swing for he fences

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I feel like I wrote that, since it is just what I have been saying for a week or so in different posts. Thus I agree wholeheartedly.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I couldn’t agree with this more :

“I don’t have any fancy stats to back this up, but from watching the Cardinals over the last two years, it feels like Kingsbury calls plays as if his only goal is to gain just enough yards for a first down. Like every series of downs is its own drive and the first down marker is the goal line.”

This EXACTLY what it feels like watching every drive.

BritCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Please tell me you are kidding... This has been discussed ad nauseum not only here but across the NFL at draft time.

No I'm not kidding. That's like saying, "we discussed what mattress to buy before we bought it. Let's never discuss how uncomfortable it is now we slept on it a year or two. We must stick with what we said before we used it".

Any discussions had during the draft process had nothing to do with NFL performance. It must be mentioned on here 20 times a week that we have no game down the middle of the field, without anyone actually saying "Is it because Kyler is short?". So let's say it.

Why don't we have any game down the middle of the field? Is it because Kyler is short?

The USA article above literally says we throw a bunch of screens and short, wide passes on RPO's because Kyler has trouble over the middle of the field.

BritCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I have been saying #'s 1 & 2 for 12 months now. Too many horizontal throws, and too many throws to the sticks.

No depth, no verticality, and little imagination to the routes our WR's run.

Kliff is going to get picked apart by the buzzards if we don't win in NY this weekend. If we then lose to Philly and San Fran........ I think he's toast.

Another thing I've noticed is that so many of our route are run in isolation. They are simple 1 on 1 matchups. The WR has to beat their guy straight up with no help.

No motion. No pick plays. No crossing routes. Even when they run out of stacks or bunches with trips to one side their routes don't cross or do anything to throw off the coverage.

For example, if you have trips to one side, it's common to see the outside guy run an inside crossing route against man coverage. That way the DB has to run through the traffic of the two other WR's and their coverage running up field.

It's basic stuff, and we never do it.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Doesn't take a genius to figure out KK is a fraud. Dude probably kills it in checkers though!

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Kliff horribly misusing RPO

How do you come from college and not know how to attack with the RPO as a head coach?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No I'm not kidding. That's like saying, "we discussed what mattress to buy before we bought it. Let's never discuss how uncomfortable it is now we slept on it a year or two. We must stick with what we said before we used it".

Any discussions had during the draft process had nothing to do with NFL performance. It must be mentioned on here 20 times a week that we have no game down the middle of the field, without anyone actually saying "Is it because Kyler is short?". So let's say it.

Why don't we have any game down the middle of the field? Is it because Kyler is short?

The USA article above literally says we throw a bunch of screens and short, wide passes on RPO's because Kyler has trouble over the middle of the field.

I don't think you are reading all that is out there. Kyler being short the batted passes has been discussed more than most topics before the draft. Batted passes wasn't an issue in college for him. Does that mean that it was discussed by the FO, of course we will probably never know, but I would hope that it was.

I think his inability to throw down the middle IMO has to with more the pocket collapsing as well as Kyler not being able/not willing to step up in the pocket, not necessarily his height. I think batted passes are up across the league this year.

SoonerLou

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Let's get this out in the open because it's been hinted at several hundred times without actually being said.

Is Kyler too short to properly succeed at QB?

There are clearly issues in the middle. Our offense is basically U shaped. At best is a skinny donut with a big hole in the middle.

Can any QB succeed with whole areas of the field out of the game plan?
Trent Dilfer said Kliff cant call a traditional game plan with a QB like Murray. He needs to be in the run game to really get him going. So that makes it tough for Kliff. However, part of the problem is that Kliff doesnt incorporate traditional run action to compensate for Murray's lack of height. That sets up those plays over the middle that Russell Wilson lived off of early in his career. So while its important to run more RPO's its all important to mix in a healthy bit of under center hand offs/play action.

I think it will be an issue, but its why I'm disappointed Kyler hasnt improved (or coached up) on throwing on the run. Its ok if he's good enough elsewhere to make up for it. If not...well its just tough.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Trent Dilfer said Kliff cant call a traditional game plan with a QB like Murray. He needs to be in the run game to really get him going. So that makes it tough for Kliff. However, part of the problem is that Kliff doesnt incorporate traditional run action to compensate for Murray's lack of height. That sets up those plays over the middle that Russell Wilson lived off of early in his career. So while its important to run more RPO's its all important to mix in a healthy bit of under center hand offs/play action.

I think it will be an issue, but its why I'm disappointed Kyler hasnt improved (or coached up) on throwing on the run. Its ok if he's good enough elsewhere to make up for it. If not...well its just tough.

I agree. What I don't get is throwing on the run isn't the only way to throw outside the pocket.

Wilson is the king of moving outside the pocket, resetting and throwing from a traditional stance.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. What I don't get is throwing on the run isn't the only way to throw outside the pocket.

Wilson is the king of moving outside the pocket, resetting and throwing from a traditional stance.

To make a comparison, as a freshman at UCLA everyone could see Westbrook had talent but he was totally out of control and had a ton of turnovers and misses on drives where he got to the rim but was off balance. During the offseason he did a ton of work but the one thing that REALLY helped was the simplest thing, learning to jumpstop. The most basic thing they teach you that the first week of basketball practice at any level, but it helped turn Westbrook into a high lottery pick.

When Kyler does move outside the pocket even his reset isn't really "right" he doesn't plant his feet right. So if you teach him the football equivalent of the jumpstop, it would be huge for him to move, stop set and hit someone downfield

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another thing I've noticed is that so many of our route are run in isolation. They are simple 1 on 1 matchups. The WR has to beat their guy straight up with no help.

No motion. No pick plays. No crossing routes. Even when they run out of stacks or bunches with trips to one side their routes don't cross or do anything to throw off the coverage.
Weird, i could've sworn i saw Arnold catch a TD pass last weekend on a crossing route that completely broke the Rams' secondary. :shrug:

...dbs