Sarver on Gambo

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I have been hot and cold with gambo over the years, but Sarver is on 620 right now, Gambo is ATTACKING Sarver and I have never been as impressed as I am in this moment...

Good for Gambo to ask the tough questions and put Sarver on the spot to explain the Suns at this point..

Link http://arizonasports.com/?nid=244&a=22156&p=17&n=

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
AsUdUdE

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sarver getting upset and attacking claiming Gambo lies about the suns!

Gambo asks for examples, and Sarver cites JO story..

Gambo says Suns fans are completely unhappy, Sarver says he completely disagrees saying the Suns season ticket holders are happy with the suns..

He is completely full of it

OP
OP
AsUdUdE

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Gambo asked Sarver to not lie and be honest, if the coaching "interview" process was a chiarade, because Gambo was told Hunter would get the job right after the Bucks game..

Sarver claims process completely open, and Dan Marajle not good enough Hunter was..

What a crock..

OP
OP
AsUdUdE

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Overall, GREAT interview, worth checking out on arizonasports.com

Probably the best most in-your-face interview I have ever heard from Sarver (finally someone had the balls to call him out)

I am very happy..

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
for Sarver to claim that Suns fans are OK is a crock. Just that statement makes me wonder if he is even in touch with reality.

Hunter is probably a better coach than Majerle. I have no problem with that. The question is whether Hunter is a better coach than Gentry.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I'm really, REALLY hoping Sarver is just protecting his current staff, is fully aware of the disaster that is the Suns, and blows it all up in the offseason.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hunter is scheduled to be on the show at 12:30. Should be interesting.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I cant decide who I dislike more listening to that interview.

Gambo is a douchebag too calling Jermaine O'Neal a cancer and leader of the worst culture of all time in the NBA etc.

Gambo is just irrational too. Remember him hating Mayo and saying Courtney Lee was a better player.

Bayless2Budinger

Registered
Reaction score
It was nice to see a interview where hard topics were hit and not shied away from but per usual Gambo is full of ****.

He claims that Sarver is delusional to think they could have been .500 but Gambo claimed this team was going to be mediocre.

He called out the signing of Shannon Brown for 2 years and 7 million but he said it made sense before the season.

It's also pretty obvious that Majerle is playing Gambo for the fool that he is. He fed him crap about the players feelings on Hunter and fed him crap on Hunter disrupting the coaches throughout the year. That is Gambo's source and it shows how crappy these "reporters" are that they will report anything including stuff from a bitter man.

And now he posts this

O'Neal was the leader of a team that is well known to have had the worst culture in NBA history

The guy is a troll and will say anything to get listeners.

Bayless2Budinger

Registered
Reaction score
As much as I dislike the guy, Sarver handled himself well. Yes he claimed fans weren't unhappy but a couple seconds later mentioned that the fans were unhappy and that this is tough for everyone around. If people want to attack him for one slip, then there is obviously ulterior motives in their feelings.

Hunter doesn't need to be a better coach for Gentry. Hunter just needs to be better for this team. The players and the team were not showing any signs of improvement, it was time for a change.

He also never said Gambo lied. He did say that the media was "lying".

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
As much as I dislike the guy, Sarver handled himself well. Yes he claimed fans weren't unhappy but a couple seconds later mentioned that the fans were unhappy and that this is tough for everyone around. If people want to attack him for one slip, then there is obviously ulterior motives in their feelings.

Hunter doesn't need to be a better coach for Gentry. Hunter just needs to be better for this team. The players and the team were not showing any signs of improvement, it was time for a change.

He also never said Gambo lied. He did say that the media was "lying".

Yes you are right Sarver did handle himself well. He earned some respect imo.

The thing about the season ticket holders not being unhappy seems delusional though. I am guessing he just repeated what his account management team told him about season ticket holder meetings. Though the point 'divide' made seems logical too.

Worst thing was that he said he expected this team to be competetive and still thinks they can be. Though not sure if he was serious about it or just needs to sell the image as the owner and doesn't want to set the bar low which he talked about as well.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just listened to Hunter interviewed by Burns and Gambo. Here are my observations.

1. Gambo asked some tough questions like "did you purposefully disrupt this team?" Of course, he denied it all.
2. When he asked about Hunter being a puppet for Babby and Blanks, Hunter laughed in an odd uncomfortable forced way. Sounded like he was lying about being his own man.
3. Communicated no particular vision or strategy for going forward.

I am not impressed. He is not well-spoken and not a good interview. That does not mean he cannot coach.

After the interview was over Gambo said that Hunter told Chancy Billups over dinner last fall that there was a good chance he would be coach of the Suns soon.

Gambo suggested that Hunter was a plant to disrupt the coaching staff (shouting contradictory instructions from the bench during games, mocking Gentry etc) so that Gentry could be fired.

Said that mgmt wanted more time for Beasley, Johnson, and Marshall and Gentry was unwilling to do it.

If Hunter was a plant for those reasons, then the problem with our mgmt is that they are bad people, not just unskilled at their job. That kind of unethical behavior is just not acceptible.

I do not have a problem with firing Gentry for not playing younger players. I am all for playing younger guys, even Beasley. Treat this like one long preseason. If Gentry cannot do that, fine, fire him.

But if they actually planted Hunter to disrupt, that is just an ugly was to do business and I would want no part of it.

You might not like some of the decisions that JC made, but he was a stand up, direct, guy who did not play these kinds of games.

What decent player would want to be in that kind of atmosphere.

Hopefully Gambo is just wrong about that.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cant decide who I dislike more listening to that interview.

Gambo is a douchebag too calling Jermaine O'Neal a cancer and leader of the worst culture of all time in the NBA etc.

Gambo is just irrational too. Remember him hating Mayo and saying Courtney Lee was a better player.

I haven't listened to the interviews but Gambo just went up a notch in my eyes for this comment. I've been beating around the bush about this for more than a month now. I'm, obviously, too far removed to know for sure but O'Neal's attitude and performance on the court coupled with a comment here and there really concerned me. It's funny that you call him irrational for the same thing that many of us would call him insightful. BTW, he was wrong on Lee over Mayo but that doesn't invalidate every single thing he says.

Steve

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
The most interesting thing about the interview was Sarver saying Blanks has done a great job evaluating talent?? What??? My only thought was of course he can't say something bad since he can't cut ties with all the scouting and evaluations they have done with this years draft having so many high picks, but who can you bring in at this point to help. If you say he sucks and he will be out he will end up trying to pick the worst player, the problem is I think he is still going to make a bad choice. :(

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
A shame that he starts off the interview by saying that he's not going to sell the team...

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
A shame that he starts off the interview by saying that he's not going to sell the team...

Actually he said no one has made an offer. I am sure he would sell the team if he had someone making an offer. Fans complained that we wanted Sarver out of basketball decision, then when he does that for a few years now, we still want him to sell the team. The people he has hired suck, but just like the Cardinals there will be changes. I don't expect Blanks, Babby and maybe even Hunter will last past the draft next year.

But we will be stuck with them until the draft unless you know of a great GM available before the draft or right now... and Jackson will not come work for the Suns.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The most interesting thing about the interview was Sarver saying Blanks has done a great job evaluating talent?? What??? My only thought was of course he can't say something bad since he can't cut ties with all the scouting and evaluations they have done with this years draft having so many high picks, but who can you bring in at this point to help. If you say he sucks and he will be out he will end up trying to pick the worst player, the problem is I think he is still going to make a bad choice. :(

And? He brought up that they do hindsight analysis of the draft and their rankings and that their evaluations in the past have been very close. How would you be able to verify this?

markieff was not a terrible pick. The jury is still out on Marshall, not like the guys picked after him are tearing it up either.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The simple fact is that this is the way NBA players are today. One of the marks of a great coach is taking that group and crafting a team.

Its what made Phil Jackson great. It was how he managed various egos.

He would give players books as gifts. It was probably a way of humbling his illiterate players.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And? He brought up that they do hindsight analysis of the draft and their rankings and that their evaluations in the past have been very close. How would you be able to verify this?

markieff was not a terrible pick. The jury is still out on Marshall, not like the guys picked after him are tearing it up either.

"Luke Zeller is one of the best shooters in the world."

Lance Blanks.

Yep... thats your guy. He is a horrible talent evaluator. He has had 3 years to put together a roster to his taste, talked about how thrilled he was this year to have HIS team on the court and he had assembled one of the least talented and least athletic teams in basketball.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

Your right Morris was a solid pick were he was. I am very down on Marshall. I guess I am just getting caught up in the media points since Blanks doesn't play nice with the media they have to bash on him.

I just hope brining in Hunter does equal more games won vs lotto teams. Maybe they can try to win a few against playoff teams. :)

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

Lance Blanks.

Yep... thats your guy. He is a horrible talent evaluator. He has had 3 years to put together a roster to his taste, talked about how thrilled he was this year to have HIS team on the court and he had assembled one of the least talented and least athletic teams in basketball.

There is always one player that slips through the cracks and has a great year. If there was 4-5 then you can make a case.

Least athletic?? Have you watch the Wolves or Dallas play? Heck Indy has lots of "Athletics" but play slow and under the basket. The only unathletic players are Marshall, Dudley and Scola.

Fyi Blanks came in after the 2010 free agency and there was the lockout so you can cut that down just to 1 1/2 years.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

Lance Blanks.

He said that in practice he is one of the best shooters in the world that is a big difference.

Also he was an undrafted FA. Not sure how that refers to draft evaluation now anyway..

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just two questions as I listened to parts of the interview with Sarver:

1. If the season ticket holders are largely satisfied with the Suns, where is the crowd?

2. And if Blanks is good at evaluating talent, where is it?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just two questions as I listened to parts of the interview with Sarver:

1. If the season ticket holders are largely satisfied with the Suns, where is the crowd?

It's a down economy, people have to save up to go homeless.

2. And if Blanks is good at evaluating talent, where is it?

That was based on the conversations Bob and Lance had last year at the All Star Game. Blanks was constantly pointing out the guys with talent.

Steve