Sam Keller Gone

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Keller to Nebraska?

Source: ASU's Keller could be headed to Nebraska
By Mark Schlabach
ESPN.com

Arizona State quarterback Sam Keller, who was named the Sun Devils' starting quarterback on Friday only to lose the job to sophomore Rudy Carpenter two days later, has been told by coach Dirk Koetter that he will be released from his scholarship, a source close to Keller said Monday night.

According to the source, the senior is seriously considering transferring to one of three schools, and Nebraska might currently be his top choice. The source said the quarterback could remain at Arizona State, but that the possibility of returning to the Sun Devils team "seems unlikely."

The Lincoln (Neb.) Journal Star reported on its Web site Monday night that two sources close to the Cornhuskers program said Nebraska offensive coordinator Jay Norvell had phoned the team's quarterbacks to inform them of the coaches' intent to bring Keller aboard. One of the sources, however, said "it's not a done deal."

The newspaper also reported that Mike Keller, the quarterback's father, said his son had been released from his scholarship by Arizona State.

Keller, who started seven games for Arizona State last season before breaking his thumb, would have to sit out this coming season under NCAA transfer rules if he decides to leave the Sun Devils for another Division I-A program. He would have one season of eligibility remaining in 2007.

Keller was one of the top-rated passers in Division I-A in 2005 before he was hurt, completing 58 percent of his passes (155-for-264) for 2,165 yards with 20 touchdowns and nine interceptions.

Carpenter rallied the Sun Devils to a 4-1 record in their last five games last season and was named MVP of Arizona State's 45-40 victory over Rutgers in the Insight Bowl. He led Division I-A in pass efficiency by completing 68 percent of his passes (156-for-228) for 2,273 yards with 17 touchdowns and only two interceptions.

The players were involved in one of the most intense position battles in college football during preseason camp. Koetter announced Keller would be the team's starting quarterback Friday, but then abruptly reversed his decision two days later after meeting with the school's athletic director and a group of team leaders.

"It's simple. I made a mistake on the quarterback situation and I'm changing my mind," Koetter said after Sunday's practice.

Keller, from Danville, Calif., would seem to be a perfect fit for Nebraska coach Bill Callahan's West Coast offense. Cornhuskers starter Zac Taylor is a senior, and highly regarded freshman Harrison Beck went AWOL during Nebraska's preseason camp and transferred to North Carolina State.

If Keller leaves Arizona State, the Sun Devils would have only one other scholarship quarterback on their roster: freshman Danny Sullivan.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2557069

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does Keller have any eligibility left? In order to transfer to a Division I school, he would have to sit out a year and burn that year. Did he ever redshirt?

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
wallyburger said:
Does Keller have any eligibility left? In order to transfer to a Division I school, he would have to sit out a year and burn that year. Did he ever redshirt?
He doesn't lose a year of eligibility, he just can't play this year. He would be able to play one season for the Huskers in 2007.

OP
OP
MaoTosiFanClub

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
DevilPrideBAS said:
Out of complete honesty, i think you are nuts. I would never ask for Stoopid to be ASU's coach. I like to win more than 3 games every year. Get a clue man
At the same time, I certainly would not want a head coach who in five years at his position has not come close to sniffing the Pac-10 elite and seems to severely botch a key personnel move just about every offseason. The harsh reality of both programs is that they both have not had a proven quality head coach in around twenty years which is why the Territorial Cup and the rivalry is about as stale as as a Devil Rays-Orioles matchup.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
Our backup now is Danny Sullivan, a true freshman. I guess he has looked good so far but us obviously inexperienced. After that it's Dax Crum and Brett Boon. Be careful saying a backup ASU qb sucks, people said the same exact thing about Walter and worse things were said about Carpenter. They seem to be doing fine now

Turns out Sullivan is local to me, from Los Gatos Highschool which is about 15 minutes away from where I live. They had an article in the paper this morning that says the rumor is Keller is going to Nebraska and that Sullivan is now NOT going to redshirt this year since he figures to be the top backup.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
So who is looking the worst in this whole mess, given what we know now? Keller? Carpenter? Koetter?

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Interesting watching this one the news this weekend then seeing that he's coming to Nebraska. If you guys don't know Nebraska lost there Soph QB about 2 weeks agos, kid was a 5 star prospect out of Florida. Didn't want to "compete" for the job just wanted it handed to him. So Keller will be a good transition QB and should be a great help to our current Sr. QB for input, they can learn from each other.

Growing up a Husker fan I thought I would never root for another College team, but I am slowly but surley watching ASU...my second favorite team.

You must be registered for see images attach

PAQ77

Registered
Reaction score
Renz said:
He doesn't lose a year of eligibility, he just can't play this year. He would be able to play one season for the Huskers in 2007.

I thought I read somewhere that he will redshirt this year since it was available as he came in as a true freshman to backup Walters. Could be wrong though...

PAQ77

Registered
Reaction score
krepitch said:
So who is looking the worst in this whole mess, given what we know now? Keller? Carpenter? Koetter?

With rumors about Keller and how his team mates felt about him put aside, I think the loser in the whole thing is Koetter. He tried to have his cake and eat it too by playing both QB's along into thinking each could be the starter. I think he did it so that as it got closer and closer to the season it would be harder for either to transfer after he made a decision. Turns out that both were thinking of transferring regardless. So his backtracking and reversal of his decision really makes him look foolish. I think this really sets the ASU program back a few years because now the head coach looks wishy washy and downright selfish. It's going to be very interesting to see how they pull out of this throughout the season. And don't think for a second this won't be brought up by other schools during recruiting wars. What I'm even more interested in seeing is how Carpenter does against big time teams rather than the weak teams he faced last year. There's got to be a ton of pressure on him and on Koetter now because if his performance last year was a mirage due to the teams he faced, all hell's gonna break loose and Keller is gonna be laughing in Nebraska.

PAQ77

Registered
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
ESPN now says Keller to Nebraska is as good as done. Good fit, he'll get a shot to make up for his five interception day against USC last year in Lincoln in 2007.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2557069

My first thought when I heard this was that why would any QB go to Nebraska?? But then I remembered who their coach is and the style of offense that would be played. I think it's a good fit... Although I think Oklahoma would have been a better choice.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PAQ77 said:
With rumors about Keller and how his team mates felt about him put aside, I think the loser in the whole thing is Koetter.

Koetter without a doubt. I don't think it could've been handled much worse than it has been. And, that's really all on the head coach. Personell, perception of the program, that's all the head coaches domain ultimately. I think we're seeing the drawback of having a head coach who is still heavily involved in the X's and O's on one side of the ball. (Hell, he's all the X's and O's.) I think Koetter failed to see the big picture when he made the decisions he did. First, in naming Keller the starter in the first place. And, second, then backing off it almost immediately.

He screwed the pooch. And, if the team has a bad season, this mistake could haunt the program for years.

At least we won't have to worry about this job be a "stepping stone" job for Koetter anymore though. :mad:

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
I think this thing is getting kinda of blown out of proportion. Getting rid of a cancer is much better than letting it grow. Think of it as chemotherapy - its rough, but in the end it's what's best for the team. I can't fault Koetter for not knowing every off the field problem Sam has. How is he supposed to know? Seriously! He can't be every where at once and babysit every player. Most parents don't know what's going on with their kids all the time, so how would a coach know what's going on with 80 players? I would rather have a coach who is willing to fix a situation than sit on his ass in fear of the public chastizing. The team will ralley around Rudy and by all indications our defense is much improved. I think it will be a good season for the Sun Devils inspite of the media attention this is receiving. I haven't backed up Koetter for everything, but I will on this one.

PAQ77

Registered
Reaction score
RedStripe27 said:
I think this thing is getting kinda of blown out of proportion. Getting rid of a cancer is much better than letting it grow. Think of it as chemotherapy - its rough, but in the end it's what's best for the team. I can't fault Koetter for not knowing every off the field problem Sam has. How is he supposed to know? Seriously! He can't be every where at once and babysit every player. Most parents don't know what's going on with their kids all the time, so how would a coach know what's going on with 80 players? I would rather have a coach who is willing to fix a situation than sit on his ass in fear of the public chastizing. The team will ralley around Rudy and by all indications our defense is much improved. I think it will be a good season for the Sun Devils inspite of the media attention this is receiving. I haven't backed up Koetter for everything, but I will on this one.

This is a good point... To a certain extent. Sure, you can't know what player #80 on your roster is doing. But when the guy is in a battle for your starting QB position and was voted team captain, is supposed to be the leader of your team and (according to some) even a possible Heisman candidate, YOU SHOULD KNOW WHAT HE'S DOING. I'm not saying hold his hand everwhere but come on... He should have some idea of what Keller's off the field personality is. That's like saying that Pete Carroll had no idea what Matt Leinart did in his spare time.

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
RedStripe27 said:

The guy was voted team captain...thats not a team cancer. Who votes for the captains...the same guys that went to Koetter. Rudy got mad, was packing his bags and the other players went to coach and he changed his mind.

What Coach should have done, going in is tell Rudy hey you got 3 years left, you wouldnt lose your spot if you get hurt Sam isn't either. You can't let the inmates run the asylum.

OP
OP
MaoTosiFanClub

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
EndZone said:
The guy was voted team captain...thats not a team cancer. Who votes for the captains...the same guys that went to Koetter. Rudy got mad, was packing his bags and the other players went to coach and he changed his mind.
Nobody knows what truly happened although you are right in that it obviously was more than Koetter's "mistake" explanation.

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Nobody knows what truly happened although you are right in that it obviously was more than Koetter's "mistake" explanation.

I think Koetter was right in trying to keep Rudy here, but I think he went about it the wrong way.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
EndZone said:

What Coach should have done, going in is tell Rudy hey you got 3 years left, you wouldnt lose your spot if you get hurt Sam isn't either. You can't let the inmates run the asylum.

If the team went out of their way to not have Keller be the starting QB, it would seem that he is somewhat of a cancer doesn't it? Maybe not in the T.O. sense, but definately in some sort of way.

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
RedStripe27 said:
If the team went out of their way to not have Keller be the starting QB, it would seem that he is somewhat of a cancer doesn't it? Maybe not in the T.O. sense, but definately in some sort of way.

No it could mearly mean they didn't want Rudy to leave and they were both equal QB's Kellers last year...Rudy has 3 years left...how long ago did they vote for Team Captain...couple weeks.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
EndZone said:
No it could mearly mean they didn't want Rudy to leave and they were both equal QB's Kellers last year...Rudy has 3 years left...how long ago did they vote for Team Captain...couple weeks.
Keller was a captain last year so it was somewhat given to him by default this year. I have a couple very close friends on the team, and the team really just didn't like Keller. They didn't want him to leave necessarily, but they didn't want him to be the leader of the team. He wasn't someone they wanted to go into battle with. Not to mention they felt that Sam's off the field problems could come back to bite them during the regular season. You need to be able to trust your leader, captain and QB. That was clearly not the case when it came to Sam Keller. Also by a couple players accounts, Rudy played slightly better during Camp T.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RedStripe27 said:
Keller was a captain last year so it was somewhat given to him by default this year. I have a couple very close friends on the team, and the team really just didn't like Keller. They didn't want him to leave necessarily, but they didn't want him to be the leader of the team. He wasn't someone they wanted to go into battle with. Not to mention they felt that Sam's off the field problems could come back to bite them during the regular season. You need to be able to trust your leader, captain and QB. That was clearly not the case when it came to Sam Keller. Also by a couple players accounts, Rudy played slightly better during Camp T.

Look, all that may very well be true. But, by Koetter doing such a dramatic 180 on his decision it's opened the door to mob rule. Why couldn't Koetter have said he would personally talk to Keller about their concerns? And, challenge them to show leadership by trying to exert positive influence on a teammate rather than throwing him under the bus? Then, if Keller wasn't receptive, bench him. At that point, it would've been where Keller had no option for transferring.

And, frankly, Rudy's threat to transfer stinks. I mean, he had three years of eligibility left and a great chance to start and play a lot this season. He pretty much looks like a pouty kid who didn't get his way and threatens to take his ball and go home. Koetter needed to try and get him out of his pissy "poor me" attitude and realize the bigger picture in which he still had a very bright future at ASU. Including a coach who would be loyal to him when he was a senior and they have a prospect or two on the bench.

Now, anytime Rudy, or some other player, doesn't like one of Koetter's decisions, why wouldn't they expect that they can pull the same type of move? I'm telling ya, he's dropped a notch in his player's eyes. They had better win this season, that will work things out. But, if they have a bad season, Koetter is toast as ASU coach. He might not be fired right away, but he won't be successful. Hope I'm wrong, but that's how I see it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard