Sam Keller Gone

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Probably best for the team if everyone stays healthy. I think Rudy is a better fit offensively and does not have a lot of the "issues" Keller has off the field.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=72130

EDIT - Koetter now says that Keller is weighing his options refuting earlier article about him leaving. The resident Koetter-bashers are going to have a field day with this one.

Last edited:

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, that was unexpected. Who will back up Carpenter now? Shaw left a couple months ago, if I'm not mistaken.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sun Devil Jay said:
Shaw is still with the program.
Shaw transferred to Texas Tech. Looks like some of the players are running the program. This is something that could divide the team. Backup qb is true freshman Sullivan.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Probably best for the team if everyone stays healthy. I think Rudy is a better fit offensively and does not have a lot of the "issues" Keller has off the field.

I love the caption to the side of the photo:

On Friday, ASU coach Sam Keller had named Sam Keller the Sun Devils' starting quarterback. TRIBUNE

LOL, Sam named himself the starting QB.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
So what happened? This is bizarre.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
When Keller won the starting job, Carpenter told Koetter he was going to transfer. The players heard about it, and since they all apparently don't like Keller and love Carpenter, they called a meeting with Koetter, and he then decided that he would take the one with more eligibility.

That's the rumor going around anyway.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Renz said:
When Keller won the starting job, Carpenter told Koetter he was going to transfer. The players heard about it, and since they all apparently don't like Keller and love Carpenter, they called a meeting with Koetter, and he then decided that he would take the one with more eligibility.

wow.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Renz said:

That's messed up. 4-7, here we come!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank God we locked up Koetter! :bang:

Look, I've never been a Koetter fan. But, I don't care who you are, if the inmates are running the asylum, you're screwed.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:

EDIT - Koetter now says that Keller is weighing his options refuting earlier article about him leaving. The resident Koetter-bashers are going to have a field day with this one.

"Issues"? Care to explain this further w/o getting into too much detail?

I agree it's a bad situation IF the players are forcing Koetter's decision.

However, I do think Carpenter has the tools to be a dominating QB for the Devils.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Renz said:

I had heard that too from a friend of mine on the team. Keller is a jackass though, I don't mind saying. I've dealt with him enough to know what he's all about. While I think it's weird that the team did this, I think it says volumes of how Sam is viewed. The QB is the leader of the team and if the players don't like him it can derail a season. Perhaps Koetter is doing the right thing. It's not like Rudy isn't capable. It will undoubtedly hurt our QB depth though. Interesting wrinkle to start the season though. Hope it pans out. Go Devils!

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Press Conference Info
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Koetter cleared up the speculation re: Keller after practice tonight.

He said that Keller did NOT quit the team, but was excused from attending tonight's practice to think about his options. Keller needs to weigh his options because Koetter said that he realized he made a mistake on Friday in naming Keller the starter and appointed Carpenter the starter over the weekend.

Sam took the news very hard and is now trying to figure out how he wants to proceed.

Well done, Dirk.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Any chance we'll ever find out more about his "mistake"?

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
I'm not a big Koetter fan either but really this isn't his fault.

You play as a team and he named who he thought was the best option at QB. The team though thought otherwise and didn't agree.

If he would have named Carpenter the starting QB right from the get goKeller would have left anyways.

If he named Keller and stuck with his gut then his team turns on him.

It's a lose-lose situation for him either way.

OP
OP
MaoTosiFanClub

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
sly fly said:
"Issues"? Care to explain this further w/o getting into too much detail?

I agree it's a bad situation IF the players are forcing Koetter's decision.

However, I do think Carpenter has the tools to be a dominating QB for the Devils.
Check your PM on the first question.

ASU will be fine, Carpenter's the better QB for ASU's system and I don't see chemistry becoming an issue if the team truly did want Rudy to start.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Koetter is a first class A-hole. He had the whole offseason and training camp to figure this out and he screwed up. I guarantee the rumor about Carpenter transferring are real. Nice quotes from carpenter about not wanting to play in the Insight Bowl and the knock on Fresno St. Real class. Carpenter pulled this same crap in high school when he transfered.

Dirk has been with the program long enough. It is in worse condition now then when he inherited it. This is the same guy who platooned Jeff Krohn with Andrew Walter, fails to prepare his team for games repeatedly, has players on his team get arrested for MURDER, and now this. As an ASU grad and life long fan I am appalled. Dirk, you suck, and I hope for the sake of the program you continue to fail, which you will, until the glorious day when you are fired.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:

ASU will be fine, Carpenter's the better QB for ASU's system and I don't see chemistry becoming an issue if the team truly did want Rudy to start.
Mind sending me the PM too? Ive heard some pretty wild rumors about Keller and wanted to know if they match with what youve heard.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually read about this on the U of Miami board. Lots of head scratching going on.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:

Mao - send me one too. I have heard some innuendo about Keller and his night life but it has to be a lot more prevelant than what i though if team mates are calling him out for it.

This saddens me because i really like Keller. Granted i would have been much closer to the situation (and have more knowledge of it) if i would have been living in Scottsdale when he became starter but from what i saw on the field, i loved his moxie.

Guess the kid really is like Brett Favre. For better or worse.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the problem I have with this whole situation. If Koetter is going to listen to the players why wasn't he talking to them before the decision was made to go with Keller. Frankly, Carpenter is the better quarterback anyways, so as long as he stays healthy I think ASU is in better shape.

I have read in some places that Keller wants to go to the NFL, or that he has a good shot in the NFL. I don't see it. He may aspire to be in the NFL, but I don't think he's good enough to be an NFL quarterback. I know they can sometimes fix it, but I hate that throwing motion.

I would also like to know these rumors about Keller if someone feels like enlightening me.

Joe

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Renz said:

You can pretty much tell that's what happened by the way Carpenter ***** footed around it when asked if he had thought about transferring.

The rule Kruger used to transfer out in basketball is not open to Keller here correct?

This sure does sound like Koetter caves because his soph QB is transferring and he'd rather keep him for 3 years than keep his senior for one. Hope the kids on the team made the right choice, the old be careful what you ask for comes into play. But Carpenter sure was impressive last year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard