Sam Keller Gone

Chainthroer

Registered
Reaction score
Koetter comes off as really unorgainzed here. Why didn't he just go with the best QB in the first place? And, why on earth did he let Dereck Shaw get away? Struggles to learn the offense! I thought that's why you have coaches!

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No matter how he came to the decision Carpenter is the better option and he will be here the longest. BTW did anyone catch when Keller was named the starting QB on Friday, he referred to Carpenter as "the other guy"? That small comment right there lets me know all I need to know about Keller.

mesacardsfan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think this hurts ASU more than some of you think. Carpenter played crap defenses once he came in last season! Keller had already played the tough part of the schedule and think Rudy will be exposed a little. Now in the long run they will be fine Rudy will be very good. Dirk still screwed the pooch on this one though by naming Sam the starter in the first place he looks like a huge Jackass!

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
clif said:
No matter how he came to the decision Carpenter is the better option and he will be here the longest. BTW did anyone catch when Keller was named the starting QB on Friday, he referred to Carpenter as "the other guy"? That small comment right there lets me know all I need to know about Keller.

Good call, clif. I noticed the same thing. I think he even used that phrase twice.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
krepitch said:
Good call, clif. I noticed the same thing. I think he even used that phrase twice.

I think people fish for this stuff, I am sure he made up his mind already and is looking for things to enforce his already formed opinion.

Example Terry Richardson, said this
We were there for an hour, but it felt like ten minutes,” recalled Richardson. “Koetter asked us if we wanted to say anything and we just went around the table, going back and forth on the whole situation.

What player calls their coach by their last name? you could argue Richarson is a punk and doesn't respect Koetter. Can you imagine a Penn State player calling their coach, "Paterno", lol hardly.

Carpenter said this "I have no idea what he’s going through, but I know Sam needs to do what’s best for him and his future. Just like at a certain point I had to do what was best for my future."

Ok exibit B, OMG capenter called keller "he" what a jerk.

Furthermore, I read this like Carpenter played a little hardball here, hardly team first, eh??. But if you are Capenter fanboi then, it's oh well I love the kid he remnds me of Jake the Snake oh the glory dayswhooopiiedoooda. Ignorant bliss.

I don't buy it, this crap is too easy, you can twist quotes to make any point you want.

The bottomline, is whether it was player A is marginally better than player B, and this case it is debateable at best, you don't yo-yo someone great guy or ***** around like Koetter has to Keller. It looks bad and for anyone who likes the move from a program perspective is short sighted.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Are some of the "issues" regarding Keller the same rumors I've heard about his .... choice of company?

Also, the rumor here in the office is that Carpenter was making noise about transferring to Notre Dame, where he'd replace Quinn next season.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Sun Devil Jay said:
Are some of the "issues" regarding Keller the same rumors I've heard about his .... choice of company?

Not sure...I've only read the ones that people have posted after the article on azcentral.com.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Regardless of what actually happened, it's going to be hard to root for this team this year. Very unlikeable, imo. :|

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
It's definitely going to be a distraction all season and is going to leave a bad stench over the season.

OP
OP
MaoTosiFanClub

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Sun Devil Jay said:
I heard something about one of his roommates, but that's completely unconfirmed and if it were true there's no way Koetter would allow him back on the team so I find it very, very hard to believe (as in I think it's most likely BS started by an Arizona fan or someone else who doesn't like Keller). PM me if you think it is one and the same.

The most prevalent rumor which is pretty well known around the Valley has to do with his partying. Maddog could probably shed some more light on this publically should the situation allow him to, I certainly don't want to call out a college kid on a public message board with second hand information even if it is reliable and been making the rounds for months.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
First off, I'm not trying to "toot my own horn." I know Keller and am more or less trying to stick up for him as I'm sure these rumors are false. I'm not sure what they are but if it's anything that would get him kicked off the team, I highly doubt they have any merit. PM the rumors to me and I can let you know if I've heard it.

I was a student athlete at ASU (didn't play any of the "major sports", graduated May of 2005) and lived on the same floor with all the football players in my class my freshman year at Sonora Hall. I got to be pretty good friends with some of them (Chad Christensen, Lee Burghgraef, Cornell Candidate, Grayling Love, Nick Baker...) and got to know some of the guys who came in the classes after me. The only reason I knew Keller was becuase I used to go out with Christensen quite a bit and Keller would come out every once in a while (he was young then, frosh and soph year). As he got older (by now the starting QB), I would see him out more often at the Scottsdale nightclubs, primarily Pussycat Lounge. He goes out a lot with Jamaal Lewis and other recievers. IMO, he went out too much during last season and it got worse after his thumb surgery. I wouldn't talk to him much when I saw him out but from our conversations he seemed like he was fine and had everything in control. Sure, he goes to the bars and gets his picture taken while he's drunk with girls hanging all over him but he's no Ryan Keeley. Now that he wants out, people are quick to start saying he was out of control and did this and that.... He could have been a little more careful but he was the star QB and soaked it up. He gave it his all on the field and stayed out of trouble. I'm sick of people blowing incidents like this out of proportion (Kyle Orton and Roethlisberger incidents as well) as it's really no big deal at all. Their just having a good time.

I feel bad for the guy as Koetter could have handled it a lot better. Koetter tried to pimp both guys and it made him look like an idiot. Hopefully Sam can go somewhere decent and make his way to the NFL

I'm not calling anyone out on this board for starting rumors. From the posts I've read in this thread it seems that you are making it clear that it's a rumor and you can't verify it.

Last edited:

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I like Carpenter a little better but I also liked Keller and this was a big surprise. If Carpenter can stay healthy I'm happy with the decision but I didn't expect him to change his mind after 2 days. I don't really like a coach who can't make those decisions. I wonder why Keller lost his starting job. Either because the players persuaded Koetter to choose Carpenter because he is better for the team or they told Koetter about Keller's "night-life"
and some things like that. That's what my teacher thinks. It could also be because Carpenter thought of transfering and we wouldn't have him for the next 3 years. I don't understand why he would transfer though with 2 more years of eligibility...

I heard if Keller leaves then some Boon guy is our QB and he's supposed to suck. :)

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Our backup now is Danny Sullivan, a true freshman. I guess he has looked good so far but us obviously inexperienced. After that it's Dax Crum and Brett Boon. Be careful saying a backup ASU qb sucks, people said the same exact thing about Walter and worse things were said about Carpenter. They seem to be doing fine now

spikecop02

Registered
Reaction score
I have lost a lot of respect for Dirk, he basically toyed with Keller

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I don't mean to rub this in guys but this does reflect pretty poorly on Koetter. And this is not exactly his first bout with making bad decisions. I think Carpenter is a step below Keller and I agree with the guy that says he faced inferior competition while putting up better numbers. Keller played against LSU and SC for gods sakes.

I was really pulling for Keller as he was my type of QB. I guess if his teammates were willing to say something, Carpenter was the right choice but i feel like Koetter has no pulse for his program. This is another black stain during his five year tenure now and i am wondering how much longer he gets if the Devils get less than 8 wins. Boivin said it best when she said "Always Something University"

I also wonder how many people are doubting Stoops value as a head coach now compared to Koetter. You guys can have Dirk. And for what its worth i will take Tui over Carpenter too;)

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
I don't mean to rub this in guys but this does reflect pretty poorly on Koetter. And this is not exactly his first bout with making bad decisions. I think Carpenter is a step below Keller and I agree with the guy that says he faced inferior competition while putting up better numbers. Keller played against LSU and SC for gods sakes.

I was really pulling for Keller as he was my type of QB. I guess if his teammates were willing to say something, Carpenter was the right choice but i feel like Koetter has no pulse for his program. This is another black stain during his five year tenure now and i am wondering how much longer he gets if the Devils get less than 8 wins. Boivin said it best when she said "Always Something University"

I also wonder how many people are doubting Stoops value as a head coach now compared to Koetter. You guys can have Dirk. And for what its worth i will take Tui over Carpenter too;)

page me when you get to 4 wins.
;)

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:

Comedy! We're too busy pumping out NFL QB after NFL QB to worry about whatever his name is. And that uncaged monkey that roams your sideline is a complete embarrassment. For a "program" that has done absolutely nothing, you talk quite a big game. You keep talking about recruiting, well lets talk about it. Everyone puts so much emphasis in the recruting rankings before these kids even get to college (In UofA's case, they can't even get eligible). Koetter has a track record of finding "2 or 3 stars" and turning them into blue chips. Hagen, T Rich, Burgess, Herring, Carpenter, Cantanese, Robinson.......... Recruiting rankings are a complete joke.

Koetter did butcher this. He tried to pimp them both and it backfired on him. I've said since last spring that it doesn't matter who starts, their both great QB's. If anyone has a preference on who should start, it's for very minimal reasons. If Rudy stays healthy all year, this will all be in the rear view mirror. I have always questioned Koetters leadership capabilities and this doesn't help. He handled the presser last night like a complete dick which makes him look worse. I feel bad for Keller as Koetter really did screw his life up

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are Keller's options now? The only way he can play this year is if he transfers to a lower division school, right? Is he a 4th year or 5th year senior? If he has to sit out a year before entering the draft that's really going to hurt him.

PAQ77

Registered
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
Comedy! We're too busy pumping out NFL QB after NFL QB to worry about whatever his name is. And that uncaged monkey that roams your sideline is a complete embarrassment. For a "program" that has done absolutely nothing, you talk quite a big game. You keep talking about recruiting, well lets talk about it. Everyone puts so much emphasis in the recruting rankings before these kids even get to college (In UofA's case, they can't even get eligible). Koetter has a track record of finding "2 or 3 stars" and turning them into blue chips. Hagen, T Rich, Burgess, Herring, Carpenter, Cantanese, Robinson.......... Recruiting rankings are a complete joke.

Busting out NFL QB after NFL QB??? Now THAT'S funny! Umm, yeah, there's Plummer... And second stringer Walters. Yeah, that's quite a assembly line of NFL QB's you're pumping out there.

And I guarantee you that if you took an HONEST poll of Sun Devil fans, the majority would want Mike "The Uncaged Monkey" Stoops roaming your sidelines.

And don't even get started with getting recruits eligilble... You guys had your own troubles this offseason, just like every program does when it comes to getting players to qualify. It happens everywhere... And just so you know, it's starting to look like Gabe Long just might suit up for us this year as well. That's bad news for whoever is taking snaps behind center at ASU...

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Koetter should have called Carpenter's bluff. If Carpenter transferred he would have had to sit out a year. If he stayed behind Keller he could have at least played if Keller struggled or got hurt. Transferring for Carpenter would have been stupid. He would have had two years to start after Keller left.

I can see Keller wanting to transfer. I wouldn't want to sit on the bench my last year in college either.

DevilPrideBAS

Registered
Reaction score
PAQ77 said:
And I guarantee you that if you took an HONEST poll of Sun Devil fans, the majority would want Mike "The Uncaged Monkey" Stoops roaming your sidelines.

Out of complete honesty, i think you are nuts. I would never ask for Stoopid to be ASU's coach. I like to win more than 3 games every year. Get a clue man

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
PAQ77 said:
Busting out NFL QB after NFL QB??? Now THAT'S funny! Umm, yeah, there's Plummer... And second stringer Walters. Yeah, that's quite a assembly line of NFL QB's you're pumping out there.

And don't even get started with getting recruits eligilble... You guys had your own troubles this offseason, just like every program does when it comes to getting players to qualify. It happens everywhere... And just so you know, it's starting to look like Gabe Long just might suit up for us this year as well. That's bad news for whoever is taking snaps behind center at ASU...

Well let's not forget Danny White... Mark Malone... Jeff Van Raphorst ... Dennis Sproul... Not cranking them out, but not just Jake Plummer either.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
DevilPrideBAS said:
Out of complete honesty, i think you are nuts. I would never ask for Stoopid to be ASU's coach. I like to win more than 3 games every year. Get a clue man

ARGHHHH!

You guys can't be this ignorant. IT TAKES THREE YEARS TO GET OUT OF THE MORASS MACKOVIC CREATED! BILL PARCELLS, BILL BELICHECK AND LOMBARDI HIMSELF WOULD HAVE TAKEN THREE SEASONS! LOOK AT DENNY GREEN IN ARIZONA! CHANGING THE CARDINALS LOSING CULTURE EVEN FOR A COACH THAT HAS WENT 15-1 AND BEEN TO TWO NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES TAKES TIME!

If you look at everything besides wins and losses (and im not disregarding this fact - I just believe they will come this year and next) he is head and shoulders above Koetter who had the benefit of a pretty good program left for him by Bruce Snyder. Trust me i follow Sun Devil football as closely as i do Wildcat football. Stoops out recruits Koetter, his team plays harder and is more motivated (see two years ago in Tucson where we had no right to be on the field with you guys talent wise and we smacked you in the f--king mouth and beat you. and we should have beat you last year to if not for injuries to Tui, Bell and a special teams TD) and he is as strong x and O's defensivly as Koetter is offensivly. Plus he has had none of the mental "i'm a first year coach" screw ups that Koetter has had IN HIS FIFTH YEAR. He had a freaking murderer on his team and was as clueless as everyone else to the problems with the kid. You can talk all day how you are happy with Koetter but this time next year i believe your argument to be mute. I don't care that you had a three year head start and are still mediocre. If we are 7-5 in Stoops fifth year i will be severly disappointed. And it wont happen. He has a plan and we FINALLY have a QB.

You guys are so deep in your own myopia you can't even acknowledge the good things happening down south. None of you will admit for a second that we are doing things to not only be 7-5 like you, but a ten win team for the next few years with our true frosh QB at the helm. I can acknowledge you guys have an amazing offense and i like some of your players (Miller, Keller, Herring) but like i keep saying. With all the garbage you guys have around your program, your mediocre success and no semblence of any defense, I will take my team's futures over yours. And I wouldnt have said that three years ago so there is little bias involved.

So page ME when you guys meet the preseason hype and don't show the heart of a mouse. Page ME when you guys win a big game. Page ME when you stop a team on offense. Page ME when your program isn't ridden with scandal and shrouded by drug and murder innuendo.

Your defensive reaction makes me think you guys are more worried than you let on that we will be better than you at basketball AND football very soon.

And what will all you Devils fans be saying then????

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard