Rule Changes - SMH

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Why don't they just do away with the kickoff and have every offense start from the 25? I mean now the touchbacks will increase.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I hate that the kickoff is effectively being phased out, gradually.

I like the two personal foul rule.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I am not sure about the 2 personal foul rule. Some of the personal fouls are face msks that aren't that extreme, or a late hit that wasn't extremely late. It will cause alot of defensive players to not play as hard as they usually do as they don't want to get ejected.

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I hate that the kickoff is effectively being phased out, gradually.

I like the two personal foul rule.

One of the most exciting plays (kick offs) is slowly being phased out. How many times watching games have you cursed out a player for not even making it back to the 20. Add another 5 yrds and they will elect to do the TB.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Re: the 2 personal foul rule. Only 1 player (Redskins LB) last year would have been tossed due to the rule...so it's not like it's going to have any impact at all....don't stress it.

Re: kickoffs - I wanted the ball at the 20 every time...I never wanted a run back as we rarely got to the 20. I see the rule causing MORE contact as coaches will have the kicker skyrocket the ball and try to have it land on the 5...and allow special teams to cream them inside the 20.

The horse collar rule is gonna get funny due to a few items brought up on NFL Radio. If a player grabs a guys hair and pulling them down but you can't tell the hand if it's on the name plate....there's a lot of ambiguity within this rule that's going to cause issue...and it can't be reviewed under instant replay.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Chip Kelly being concise and coherent as always about his opposition to the rule. lol

“You ever see A Few Good Men?” Kelly asked? “Why the two orders? Right? If you already have the ability to throw them out of the game, why do we have to put a second order in to throw them out of the game? Throw them out of the game. If they’re not playing the right way, and we already have the ability to eject them, why do we have to put another order in?”

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I am not sure about the 2 personal foul rule. Some of the personal fouls are face msks that aren't that extreme, or a late hit that wasn't extremely late. It will cause alot of defensive players to not play as hard as they usually do as they don't want to get ejected.

"for certain types of unsportsmanlike conduct fouls."

This is what the rule states, so I do not think it is for all personal fouls. Just the ones deemed to be D.B. penalties.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have no idea why a touch back will be brought out to the 25 yard line, at this point a squib kicks a plenty.

phazing it out.

Why don't they just do away with the kickoff and have every offense start from the 25? I mean now the touchbacks will increase.
They pretty much are. screw it, saves a roster spot for a KR guy

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score

Kickoffs make for natural additional TV breaks.. and everyone knows the only thing more important than player safety is the all-mighty dollar!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kickoffs apparently account for an abnormally high % of player injuries. They're slowly phasing it out I agree, but it's because of player safety not money or boredom etc.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't care that they are phasing out kickoffs, I just wish theyd get It over with.

Score? Cool, other team gets the ball at 20. Go!

Why go through this long painful process of moving the touchback and kickoff points and safety zone around returner, etc. Just get rid of it if that's what youre trying to do.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kickoffs apparently account for an abnormally high % of player injuries. They're slowly phasing it out I agree, but it's because of player safety not money or boredom etc.

The cynic would say that player safety is all about money though. The owners wouldn't care about it if it wasn't costing them money.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Wondering how long it will take kickoffs to be lobbed to the goal line. Higher and slower trajectories that force a run-back will cause poorer field position (on average) than touch backs.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They should do rock-paper-scissors for field position on kickoffs.

But make sure they wear gloves - no need for paper cuts.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
Re: the 2 personal foul rule. Only 1 player (Redskins LB) last year would have been tossed due to the rule...so it's not like it's going to have any impact at all....don't stress it.

Pretty sure that Odell Beckham would have been ejected under this rule in the game against Carolina when he went at it with Josh Norman the entire game. In fact, I think this rule was created just because of that game.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is what the NFL wants. To the powers that be, defense is boring so they do what they can to increase scoring. They do it in all sports. Basketball instituted the 24 second clock, the 3 point line, made zone defense illegal, and now travelling is arbitrary. In baseball, they lowered the mound, tightened the ball, and even turned a blind eye to steroids. In football, you can't hit a "defenseless" receiver, allow a lot of holding, looking at QB's sideways draws a foul, and now they're going to yellow and red card players forcing these players to think twice about making a big hit. They want the Arena league scoring outside. I mean, they must have hated this past Super Bowl. In short, these new rules are horrible and eventually all these changes are going to destroy the game.

Reaction score
The kickoff rule change is being done with the intent to increase touchbacks, thereby reducing the injuries incurred during kick returns.

But the rule change could very possibly backfire. Teams may not be so willing to give up the additional 5 yards on touchbacks; choosing instead to kick high and short of the goal line forcing the opponent to attempt the return. Which if all other things remain equal would cause an increase in injuries.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is what the NFL wants. To the powers that be, defense is boring so they do what they can to increase scoring. They do it in all sports. Basketball instituted the 24 second clock, the 3 point line, made zone defense illegal, and now travelling is arbitrary. In baseball, they lowered the mound, tightened the ball, and even turned a blind eye to steroids. In football, you can't hit a "defenseless" receiver, allow a lot of holding, looking at QB's sideways draws a foul, and now they're going to yellow and red card players forcing these players to think twice about making a big hit. They want the Arena league scoring outside. I mean, they must have hated this past Super Bowl. In short, these new rules are horrible and eventually all these changes are going to destroy the game.

People are saying that the new rule outlawing all chop blocks will have the opposite effect and could cause scoring to drop.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure that Odell Beckham would have been ejected under this rule in the game against Carolina when he went at it with Josh Norman the entire game. In fact, I think this rule was created just because of that game.

Nope. He would not have. If the refs did their jobs and actually called 2 of them against him, but they didn't. They let about 2 of them go before they finally called one.

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score
The kickoff rule change is being done with the intent to increase touchbacks, thereby reducing the injuries incurred during kick returns.

But the rule change could very possibly backfire. Teams may not be so willing to give up the additional 5 yards on touchbacks; choosing instead to kick high and short of the goal line forcing the opponent to attempt the return. Which if all other things remain equal would cause an increase in injuries.

If kickoffs are phased out, will there be no more on-sides kicks?

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If kickoffs are phased out, will there be no more on-sides kicks?

I kinda like this idea: Instead of kicking off, the "kicking" team instead is given the ball at their own 30 (or 25, or 35, or whatever works best) with a 4th and 20 (or 25, or whatever works).

Most of the time they will elect to punt, which is pretty much like a kickoff, though they could punt it out of bounds and there's a much greater likelihood of the returner calling for a fair catch compared to a kickoff scenario - and the "kicking" team can't recover the punt - so the returner has a much better opportunity to protect himself without worrying about the "kicking" team recovering the ball as on a kickoff.

On the other hand, the "kicking" team could elect to "go for it" and convert their 4th down, either from a conventional offensive set or a fake punt formation. The line-to-gain could be adjusted as necessary to make the odds of converting close to the same as the odds of successfully converting an onside kick.

It's kinda out there, but seems like a clever way to eliminate kickoffs (if that's what the NFL decides to do) while retaining the small chance for the kicking team to retain possession, and still having the "receiving" team end up with the ball at about the same point on the field as with a kickoff, and retaining the small chance for the receiving team to score on the play.

You might even see a Hail Mary play on the "kickoff". That would be interesting! Definitely need to set the starting line of scrimmage far enough back that a Hail Mary would have a very remote chance of success.

...dbs

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
The best thing I've heard is no more chop blocks. I've always hated those and thought they should be done away with.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard