Talk of rule changes

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Talk about the catch rule change and going to the college rule of 15 yds. on PI if it's more than 15 yds. downfield. PI calls on deep routes are going to go up so high it won't be funny. As a DB are you going to give a WR a possible TD catch or a big 40-50 yd catch when all you have to do is interfere and limit it to 15 yds.?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...quirement-on-catch-rule/ar-BBJFyAz?li=BBnb7Kz

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Yeah, I dislike this a lot in college, and I'm not a fan of the idea of implementing it in the NFL. In college, it makes sense, because some of the talented teams with major downfield talent can just smoke less athletic kids and end up down the field more often than not after interference... but in the NFL, the DB should be able to keep up, not just mug them.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I agree...they need to leave PI alone...and IMO, the standards for what exactly "IS" PI needs to go down the further down field they get.... ie,... what pass interference is at 15 yards...aint PI at 40 yards... once they get 20 yards downfield these guys need to be allowed to battle for position...and the ball

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leave P I alone. The field will be littered with flags and scoring will go way down. Forget about Hail Marys. NCAA needs to adopt the NFL current rule. Offense sells tickets not flags.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deep passing lanes are going to become Murder Alley if this PI rule changes. Hope it doesn't change.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Deep passing lanes are going to become Murder Alley if this PI rule changes. Hope it doesn't change.
Right? I can see lots of injured WR's due to them getting face planted in the turf the moment a deep ball comes their way

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right? I can see lots of injured WR's due to them getting face planted in the turf the moment a deep ball comes their way

If this rule passes it needs to be accompanied by the NCAA flagrant/defenseless player/targeting rule ( which I believe is long overdue).

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
If this rule passes it needs to be accompanied by the NCAA flagrant/defenseless player/targeting rule ( which I believe is long overdue).

Not sure I understand, the hitting of a defenseless receiver rule would not change. It is not pass interference to hit a defenseless receiver, or are you just saying you would like to see the "targeting" rule move to the NFL?

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Talk about the catch rule change and going to the college rule of 15 yds. on PI if it's more than 15 yds. downfield. PI calls on deep routes are going to go up so high it won't be funny. As a DB are you going to give a WR a possible TD catch or a big 40-50 yd catch when all you have to do is interfere and limit it to 15 yds.?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...quirement-on-catch-rule/ar-BBJFyAz?li=BBnb7Kz

Exactly, total crap. I have a novel idea, go back and let the guys play... holding a guy is not allowed but the contact stuff should be flushed down the proverbial toilet in a contact sport

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Hate the possibility of changing the PI call. It’s dumb.

I can’t wait to see a DB tackle a WR on a last play 60 yard Hail Mary & then win the game.

Once again the NFL is over analyzing rules, calls & penalties :bang::doi:

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score

So simply committ PI on any deep route? 60 yard bomb to end zone? Just tackle his feet while ball in the air. Bethel could make all pro at DB!!!

OP
OP
cardpa

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
So simply committ PI on any deep route? 60 yard bomb to end zone? Just tackle his feet while ball in the air. Bethel could make all pro at DB!!!
You got it! No DB is going to even think twice about PI when they know the most the offense could get out of it is 15 yds. Imagine the odds of an offense being able to pull out a win with say 30 seconds or less with the new PI rule. Hail Marys for get about it.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
What if there were some maximum yardage allowable? Like 30 yards???

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I watch a lot of college ball and PIs commited intentionally to prevent big plays are rare.

I hate it a lot more when some receiver cons the ref into a 40 yard PI when the replay clearly shows they initiated contact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree, if I am losing the fight and it is 20+ yards, I would PI all day long with this rule.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I watch a lot of college ball and PIs commited intentionally to prevent big plays are rare.

I hate it a lot more when some receiver cons the ref into a 40 yard PI when the replay clearly shows they initiated contact.

The problem here is, in the NCAA, the player breaking free for a long pass is generally the better athlete and has already sprinted 10 yards ahead of the DB while the ball is in the air.

In the NFL, most DBs are keeping up with the receiver and can simply maul them if the pass is a certain length.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
A 40 yard PI has the potential to dictate the outcome of a game.

Reducing the award to 15 yards takes that away from the officials and puts it back with the players.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Reducing the award to 15 yards takes that away from the officials and puts it back with the players.

there are always perspectives. a mere 15 yd penalty will guarantee zero wins at the gun via hail mary as all the WR's would just be tackled in the endzone or pushed out of bounds....
of course then I guess you get into that whole "game ending on an offensive penalty" thing... but what it would do is take away the hail mary and force teams to use more clock to get down field... not something the league wants I think... not with how they gush over "last second heroics" all over NFLN

right now, deep pass PI calls are fairly rare anyway... the officials tend to let them play more as they should... it only becomes a bummer when they actually make the call... because it is usually in favor of pitt, or NE, or dallas...lol

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dumb idea. What this game doesn't need is more flags. Aside from the political stuff and the DV stuff, too many penalties is the #3 reason why people are turning off the game. As was said, now players when they know they're beat on a long pass are just going to grab their legs and tackle them. 15 yards is a whole lot better than a 42 yard penalty.

OP
OP
cardpa

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
You know how this is going to play out. They will change the rule and people will complain whether it be fans, offenses, etc. and then they will modify the rule and we will then have blatant pass interference which will be subject to the opinion of the referee. Did the DB intentionally interfere in order to prevent the WR from catching the pass for a longer gain? I can see this going down the rabbit hole. This will get worse before it gets better.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I view this from the opposite POV.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson