Rock Band 2

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Tonight, my friend, tonight. Spent last night putting together the ION drum set.

Ssssswwwwwweeeeetttttt!

I won't get to play it until Saturday, though, or my wife will :mulli:
Officially jealous. Be sure to report your findings back here on the ION kit, please.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Officially jealous. Be sure to report your findings back here on the ION kit, please.

Summary at the bottom for all the D personalities out there...

Got the kit Tuesday. Unboxed and put it together - 1 hour. It was straight forward, just a lot of pieces. Good construction, solid, everything adjustable (everything. Including the X-Box controller).

The pads are larger, and the sound has been reduced, but is still there when you wack them. I had an old RB1 set that I put the pad layers on, and the ION set is softer - which is a plus. There's a short cymbal arm for the yellow cymbal (high hat, on your left over the snare or red pad), and a long one for the green cymbal (crash, on your far right).

The set is larger than the RB1 set. There are two arms that come out that are adjustable from 0 to 90 degrees that hold the snare / high hat on the left and the crash / low tom on the right (more on this in a bit). Put the cymbals on, and you can really tell the difference.

I'm waiting on my ride cymbal (blue) to show up - it was an extra, along with my 2nd kick petal.

Since everything was adjustable and bigger, I popped in RB1 and set it up to a great calibration song - GG&HT on medium. Simple, consistent rhythms for long periods of time to figure out if everything was working properly, and if the pads / cymbals were in the right spot. Play / adjust / play / adjust / play / adjust - that took about 30 min.

The adjustments are very easy to make on this set - it's a big plastic wing nut for most every attachment that you would normally adjust (pads & cymbals), so it takes seconds to move something. The permanent members have a hex head, so it takes a bit longer (all the tools for assembly were included in the box).

First impressions on Ion vs RB1 drum set - massive improvement on the kick petal. Smoother, easier, had rubber pads on the bottom as well as adjustable spikes to keep it in place. It just sits where ever you put it, so it's much more comfortable IMO vs. the RB1 kick where it had to be right in front of you. Steel construction - which is much appreciated!

It's a bit faster too - I use the heel down method (I know that I will have to learn the heel up before too long) for bass, and previously, on quick bass beats (like the 1 and; around 160 BPM) I'd miss the second beat. No longer - it was easy to hit them both. When I get the 2nd petal, I'm gonna be a bass beating machine!

The bigger pads are nice, especially considering that you're fighting that muscle memory that you developed playing RB1 on their set for so long. Cymbals, when set properly, are a blast to play. I love coming down full force on the crash.

I wish that the set went just a little higher - but I'm 6'5", so everything is a bit small for me. Adjusted quickly.

Great rebound on the pads - they feel good to play on. They are velocity sensitive, and there is only a thin color ring which is removable. Cymbals take a bit of getting used to, but once properly adjusted (found that out by hitting nothing but air more than once) where you're hitting the rim consistently, it's a piece of cake.

The hardest part learning to play this set is getting used to the idea that you're supposed to be up top 90% of the time, not on the pads (other than the snare), and sometimes you do stupid things. It's the process of learning, though.

A friend of mine is a drumming nut, and he's coming over on Sunday to watch the game. I'll get his opinion (since one of the major selling points of this set was that it could be hooked up to a drum brain and be taken on stage IRL) then.

A few of the bad things - it appears that the pads are just a bit too sensitive, I've had songs where I score a 100% and barely make 4 stars. Going to freestyle mode in RB2 in practice, I think I have to retrain on the force of hitting the pads. Cymbals - it's easy to miss or hit the nut if they're not adjusted properly. Wish it was a bit taller. Doesn't break down at all - it's a permanent fixture in your living room. Your arm will get tired playing the high hat all the time.

I'll post more about RB2 & the Ion set the more I play. RB2 has some great features, including the ability to tell during the fills what item your hitting - that gives you a snare, hi mid & low tom, plus the high hat and the crash. Makes a major difference in game play. The Drum Tutor is AWESOME - 76 rhythms w/ variable speeds from 45 BPM to 200+ BPM. Import from RB1 took 400 credits from XBOX live and about 5 minutes - easy to do. Some improvements in the tour as well. Working my way through the play list now.

Summary:
Good: Fully adjustable. Kick petal is awesome. Bigger pads. Feels & looks like a real drum set.

Bad: Cost. Doesn't break down. Everything is wired.

Is it worth it? As soon as I get my sticks on a standard RB2 and/or a GHWT drum set (the Ion is supposed to be compatible with GHWT since it is compatible with RB1), I'll let you know. $350 vs. $100 is a big difference.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
A few of the bad things - it appears that the pads are just a bit too sensitive, I've had songs where I score a 100% and barely make 4 stars. Going to freestyle mode in RB2 in practice, I think I have to retrain on the force of hitting the pads.

Fixed that problem - I was playing a song and noticed that if I really thrash on the blue pad, the yellow will register a hit, and vice versa. Solution - move the supports farther apart, and angle the pads in. Same pad location, no false hits. I think the hit is also travelling down my high hat into my snare - so I move that as well and the problem went away.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Thorough review. Thank you.

Great review.

Vote with your wallet folks! A$FN proudly accepted here!

J/C

Had my buddy over Sunday - played for a couple of hours. He really liked the action of the bass petal - much smoother and more realistic. Also liked how sturdy the set was, along with the rebound action of the pads - 10x easier to do a drum roll in his opinion.

Only bad thing was we had to play Livin' on a Prayer and Anyway You Want It about 10 times so the ladies could sing along. We may perma ban it from our group.

You must be registered for see images

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Fixed that problem - I was playing a song and noticed that if I really thrash on the blue pad, the yellow will register a hit, and vice versa. Solution - move the supports farther apart, and angle the pads in. Same pad location, no false hits. I think the hit is also travelling down my high hat into my snare - so I move that as well and the problem went away.
Apparently there will also be a software download that will allow you to tweak various settings via a PC. Can't recall where I was reading that...

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coming this November to WalMarts near you -- AC/DC Live: Rock Band. Its a stand alone product, but can be exported to RB/RB2. $40 gets you the following live tunes:

"Thunderstruck"
"Shoot to Thrill"
"Back in Black"
"Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be"
"Heatseeker"
"Fire Your Guns"
"Jailbreak"
"The Jack"
"Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap"
"Moneytalks"
"Hells Bells"
"High Voltage"
"Whole Lotta Rosie"
"You Shook Me All Night Long"
"T.N.T."
"Highway To Hell"
"For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)"
"Let There be Rock"

Honestly, $40 for 18 songs is pretty rough. Wouldn't be bad to snag a used copy on ebay though.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/914/914601p1.html

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, downloaded tracks are $2 a piece. Just put them all on XBL and let us download the ones we want. I won't be buying that one.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, $40 for 18 songs is pretty rough. Wouldn't be bad to snag a used copy on ebay though.

Rock Band's AC/DC package comes complete with fine print

Posted Sep 30th 2008 11:30PM by Xav de Matos
Filed under: News, Rock Band 2
You must be registered for see images
Some of the fine print for Rock Band's upcoming AC/DC track package has been clarified thanks to a report by Variety. What we can now confirm is the 18 song pack will be a standalone product that can be played by itself or transferred to an Xbox 360and act as downloadable content for Rock Band or Rock Band 2.

The standalone version will feature most, but not all, of the features found in both Rock Band titles. Players can play all four instruments (vocals, guitar, bass and drums), will not play as AC/DC themselves but as standard in game avatars because the product features no character customization. Players can participate in a tour style mode which plays through the entire set list, participate in tug-of-war and a score duels mode but the disc itself does not support online play.

In order to get online with the AC/DC tracks players must transfer the songs to their hard drive, as was required to play Rock Band songs in Rock Band 2 - which also opens up other restrictions such as character customization. Where things get hairy is that transferring the package can only be activated "once per disc," to prevent players from buying one copy and sharing the music with other machines.

The information was parsed from Paul DeGooyer, senior VP of electronic games and music at MTV who also stated the AC/DC tracks were only exclusive to Rock Band for "a term."

Link

DCR's right, let us choose from XBLM. :computer:

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
New rule at my house.

You wanna sing "Anyway You Want It" and "Living On a Prayer"?

Fine - get through "Tangled Up in Blue" first.

I swear that I have these songs memorized...

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Contents of the free DLC pack coming in November:

• The 88 - "Sons and Daughters"
  • Authority Zero - "No Regrets"
  • Between the Buried and Me - "Prequel To The Sequel"
  • The Cab - "Bounce"
  • The Chevelles - "Get It On"
  • The Cocktail Slippers - "Give It To Me"
  • Dealership - "Database Corrupted"
  • Endeverafter - "I Wanna Be Your Man"
  • The Ghost Hounds - "Ashes To Fire"
  • Hollywood Undead - "Young"
  • Kutless - "The Feeling"
  • The Len Price 3 - "If I Ain't Got You"
  • Lesley Roy - "I'm Gone, I'm Going"
  • Opiate for the Masses - "Burn You Down"
  • Semi-Precious Weapons - "Magnetic Baby"
  • Shaimus - "Like a Fool"
  • Thenewno2" - Crazy Tuesday"
  • Tickle Me Pink - "The Time Is Wrong"
  • Underoath - "Desperate Times, Desperate Measures"
  • X Japan - "I.V."
Uh... well the important thing is that its free.
http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/922/922241p1.html

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Contents of the free DLC pack coming in November:

• The 88 - "Sons and Daughters"
  • Authority Zero - "No Regrets"
  • Between the Buried and Me - "Prequel To The Sequel"
  • The Cab - "Bounce"
  • The Chevelles - "Get It On"
  • The Cocktail Slippers - "Give It To Me"
  • Dealership - "Database Corrupted"
  • Endeverafter - "I Wanna Be Your Man"
  • The Ghost Hounds - "Ashes To Fire"
  • Hollywood Undead - "Young"
  • Kutless - "The Feeling"
  • The Len Price 3 - "If I Ain't Got You"
  • Lesley Roy - "I'm Gone, I'm Going"
  • Opiate for the Masses - "Burn You Down"
  • Semi-Precious Weapons - "Magnetic Baby"
  • Shaimus - "Like a Fool"
  • Thenewno2" - Crazy Tuesday"
  • Tickle Me Pink - "The Time Is Wrong"
  • Underoath - "Desperate Times, Desperate Measures"
  • X Japan - "I.V."
Uh... well the important thing is that its free.
http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/922/922241p1.html

Very dissapointed in Rock Band 2 Free download content. Yes it's free but if I don't care about these songs I will never play them.

Finally had the time to put in Rock Band 2. Don't know if anybody else noticed this but the timing is definitely tougher on Rock Band 2. Either that or its an issue using the old drums. I have not decided whether or not to spend the extra money on the ION kit or the stock kit so I am using my old drums.

At any rate, when I tried playing a few songs, the timing just seemed unforgiving on Medium. Unless I was exactly on the note, I missed it. What's weird is that it seems to happen on me on the "blue" pad more then the others. That might just be placement. At first I thought it was the blue pad going. So, I popped in Rock Band 1 again and I was just as accurate as always with no apparent issues. Went back to Rock Band 2 and was missing (especially Blue) more often on the same song I just played in Rock Band 1.

So, either there is a compatibility issue or Rock Band 2 is just plain tougher. Don't know which yet.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very dissapointed in Rock Band 2 Free download content. Yes it's free but if I don't care about these songs I will never play them.

Finally had the time to put in Rock Band 2. Don't know if anybody else noticed this but the timing is definitely tougher on Rock Band 2. Either that or its an issue using the old drums. I have not decided whether or not to spend the extra money on the ION kit or the stock kit so I am using my old drums.

At any rate, when I tried playing a few songs, the timing just seemed unforgiving on Medium. Unless I was exactly on the note, I missed it. What's weird is that it seems to happen on me on the "blue" pad more then the others. That might just be placement. At first I thought it was the blue pad going. So, I popped in Rock Band 1 again and I was just as accurate as always with no apparent issues. Went back to Rock Band 2 and was missing (especially Blue) more often on the same song I just played in Rock Band 1.

So, either there is a compatibility issue or Rock Band 2 is just plain tougher. Don't know which yet.

Did you do any calibration?

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you do any calibration?

Yes. I tried the calibration. However, again, if its a calibration issue I would think that the I would be having an equally hard time with all the pads.

Question, when your doing the beat calibration it says to hit the "green" pad when you hear the beat. Did you hit the green as fast as you could after the sound or did you anticipate the beat and match your hits exactly with the beat?

Last edited:

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I believe you're supposed to time the hit with the center mark - that tells the machine what the delay is. If you time it with the sound, it will always be off visually.

I'll plug in my old drum set tonight and play a couple of songs and will let you know how it works out.