Recipe-a-Day #10 - Hawaiian Chicken with Pineapple Salsa

CQ

Recovered WoW-aholic
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made this in a massive quantity for my hubby's 30th bday party. I haven't made it since then, I should though, because I seem to remember it was pretty tasty!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hawaiian Chicken with Pineapple Salsa[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Serves 4[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4 chicken breasts, halved, skinned and boned[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1/2 cup brown onion, diced[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2 Tbsp lemon juice[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2 cloves fresh garlic, minced[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 Tbsp soy sauce[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 Tbsp honey[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 Tbsp fresh cilantro, minced[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, crushed[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 8 ounce can of Dole crushed unsweetened [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]pineapple (reserve juice)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Strain the juice from the pineapple, reserving the juice. Place pineapple in a covered bowl and chill. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Put the pineapple juice in a small bowl and whisk in the soy sauce, garlic and honey. Pour over the chicken halves in a shallow dish, coating all sides. Cover and let marinate for up to 6 hours or more in the refrigerator, basting occasionally.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
When you're ready to cook the chicken, take the pineapple from the refrigerator and add the onions, lemon juice, brown sugar and cilantro. Mix together well.

Remove the chicken from the marinade and grill or broil. Check doneness by making sure that the chicken is no longer pink in the center.

Pour the marinade into a small saucepan and boil for a few minutes until reduced by half.

Top the chicken with the reduced salsa and serve.[/FONT]

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I marinated some chicken breasts in an elitist salad dressing.

How long should I broil the chicken?

(no way jose on the pineapple)

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I marinated some chicken breasts in an elitist salad dressing.

How long should I broil the chicken?

(no way jose on the pineapple)
bone-in, or boneless?

Although, I'm guessing by the time of this post, the chicken has already been broiled & eaten.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
bone-in, or boneless?

Although, I'm guessing by the time of this post, the chicken has already been broiled & eaten.
Done and done by the time I read it. :) Cooked to an internal temp of 140 degrees. Tasted okay, but a little overcooked.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was almost moist enough, just kinda tough and fleshy.
:( Bummer.

I was just reading about cooking chicken, and the two types of heat...dry & moist. Dry heat, like broiling, grilling, etc., you should use a high heat for a short amount of time, and moist heat, like steaming, you should use a lower heat for longer. (iirc--I think that sounds right).

I will have to work on that; I have a tendency to overcook chicken...although I did make some not too long ago that was really good :)

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
The foreman grill cooks a better piece of chicken than Colonel Sanders ever did.

Crispy and moist in 9 minutes. I love my foreman grill for chicken. Beef not so much.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard