15 Horrifying Reasons to Never Let Anyone You Love Near a McDonald's

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The evil empire and the primary reason to pass UHC.

:barf:

By Sarah Irani, EcoSalon. Posted August 15, 2009.

Erectile dysfunction, the truth behind the "special sauce," and a burger from 1996. Keep reading if you dare.

The Golden Arches: the ultimate American icon. Super Size Me taught us that fast food culture brings obesity, heart disease, hypertension and a whole slew of other problems. How bad do you really want that Big Mac? Here are 15 reasons you’ll never let anyone you love get near those Golden Arches.

1. Real food is perishable. With time, it begins to decay. It’s a natural process, it just happens. Beef will rot, bread will mold. But what about a McDonald’s burger? Karen Hanrahan saved a McDonald’s burger from 1996 and, oddly enough, it looks just as “appetizing” and “fresh” as a burger you might buy today. Is this real food?

2. You would have to walk 7 hours straight to burn off a Super Sized Coke, fries and Big Mac. Even indulging in fast food as an occasional treat is a recipe for weight gain…unless you’re planning to hit each treadmill in the treadmill bay afterwards.

3. Containing less fat, salt and sugar, your pet’s food may be healthier than what they serve at McDonald’s.

4. In 2007, the employees of an Orlando-area McDonald’s were caught on camera pouring milk into the milkshake machine out of a bucket labeled “Soiled Towels Only.” That particular restaurant had already been cited for 12 different sanitary violations. Though McDonald’s proudly stands by its safety standards, and not every restaurant has such notorious incidents, the setting of a fast food restaurant staffed with low-paid employees at a high turnover rate arguably encourages bending the rules. (McDonald’s isn’t alone in this, of course – Burger King is actually ranked as the dirtiest of all the fast food chains.)

5. McDonald’s supports the destruction of the Amazon rainforest. Much of the soy-based animal feed used to fatten fast-food chickens is grown in the Amazon. Are those chicken nuggets really worth acres of irreplaceable trees? (Especially considering how important carbon sinks like the rainforest are to halt global warming!) Fast food supports a completely unsustainable system of agriculture. It’s cruel to animals, unhealthy for humans, and bad for the planet.

6. Even Prince Charles, while touring a diabetes center in the United Arab Emirates, commented that banning McDonald’s is key to health and nutrition. Don’t let the salads and chicken breasts fool you. The “chicken” at McDonald’s, by the way, comes with a whole lot more than chicken.

7. As if feeding children high-fat, high-sodium, low-nutrition “food” weren’t bad enough, some Happy Meals in 2006 contained toy Hummers. It’s as if McDonald’s was encouraging a whole generation of kids not only to guzzle food, but to guzzle gas as well. Would you like a few barrels of petroleum with that?

8. The processed fat in McDonald’s food (and other fast food) promotes endothelial dysfunction for up to 5 hours after eating the meal. Endothelial tissue is what lines the inside of blood vessels.

9. For those who enjoy sex, take note: erectile dysfunction is connected to endothelial dysfunction. Morgan Spurlock of Super Size Me commented that his normally healthy sexual function deteriorated in just one month when he ate only food from McDonald’s. Even his girlfriend commented on camera that “he’s having a hard time, you know, getting it up.”

10. How many cows does it take to keep the world loaded with Big Macs? I had to do a some research and a little math, but according to a brief video inside one of McDonald’s 6 meat processing plants, about 500,000 pounds of beef is processed per day, per plant. If an average beef cow weighs 1,150 pounds, that means 2609 cows a day are turned into burgers. That’s 952,285 cows per year. And that’s just in the United States. Eating a hamburger may not be worse than driving a Hummer, but it’s bad. One hamburger patty does not necessarily come from one cow. Think about that. You’re eating bits of hundreds of cows.

11. Maybe you just pop in for an inexpensive latte. Watch out for the caramel syrup (Sugar, water, fructose, natural (plant source) and artificial flavor, salt, caramel color (with sulfites), potassium sorbate (preservative), citric acid, malic acid) or the chocolate drizzle (Corn syrup, water, hydrogenated coconut oil, high fructose corn syrup, glycerin, nonfat milk, cocoa, cocoa (processed with alkali), food starch-modified, disodium phosphate, potassium sorbate (preservative), xanthan gum, artificial flavor (vanillin), salt, soy lecithin). Please don’t put that stuff into your body. Eat healthy cheap food instead – you can be well and still save cash.

12. Are you a vegetarian with a French fry craving? You better skip McDonald’s because their fries actually contain milk (and wheat) and though they’re fried in vegetable oil, the oil is flavored with beef extract. (McDonald’s famously misled customers for years.)

13. Do you want high blood pressure? Hit the drive-through. Eating a McDonald’s chicken sandwich (any of “˜em, take your pick) will give you about 2/3 of the recommended daily amount of sodium. And if you actually do have high blood pressure, that’s way more than you really need.

14. Finally unveiled: the secret of the Big Mac’s “secret sauce.”

Soybean oil, pickle relish [diced pickles, high fructose corn syrup, sugar, vinegar, corn syrup, salt, calcium chloride, xanthan gum, potassium sorbate (preservative), spice extractives, polysorbate 80], distilled vinegar, water, egg yolks, high fructose corn syrup, onion powder, mustard seed, salt, spices, propylene glycol alginate, sodium benzoate (preservative), mustard bran, sugar, garlic powder, vegetable protein (hydrolyzed corn, soy and wheat), caramel color, extractives of paprika, soy lecithin, turmeric (color), calcium disodium EDTA (protect flavor).

Yum. Cheap oil and cheap syrup. Many people depend upon cheap food such as the sort offered at McDonald’s, whether due to the economic conditions we currently face or low incomes. So shouldn’t we be examining regulations that subsidize corn syrup but consider fruits and vegetables – the building blocks of a healthy body and green planet – to be “speciality” crops? Shouldn’t we be promoting urban gardening, community gardens and spreading information about low-cost farmers’ markets and CSAs? And focusing on the abundant choices of cheap food that are tasty and green?

15. Still not convinced? Maybe this 1970s trip through McDonaldland will give you enough nightmares to keep your loved ones away forever.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Real food is perishable. With time, it begins to decay. It’s a natural process, it just happens. Beef will rot, bread will mold. But what about a McDonald’s burger? Karen Hanrahan saved a McDonald’s burger from 1996 and, oddly enough, it looks just as “appetizing” and “fresh” as a burger you might buy today. Is this real food?

I'm not defensing the healthiness of McD's food by any stretch, but this is a complete fabrication. I've had a mcdonald's hamburger sit in my fridge for a week and it looked way grosser than it did when I bought it. I have no doubt that McD's food decays just like any other.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of this has the look and feel of my mother telling me a certain behavior will cause hair to grown on my palms. Best intentions and all ...

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of writing an article titled: 15 Horrifying Reasons to Never Be Extremely Rude or Obnoxious to the Teenagers Working the Drive-Thru at a Fast Food Restaurant.

NOTE: WARNING! READ NO FURTHER IF YOU WERE EVER RUDE TO "JACK" AT THE JACK IN THE BOX ON MCDOWELL IN SCOTTSDALE ARIZONA
You must be registered for see images

JTS

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I always get a kick out of these goofy "statistics".

10. How many cows does it take to keep the world loaded with Big Macs? I had to do a some research and a little math, but according to a brief video inside one of McDonald’s 6 meat processing plants, about 500,000 pounds of beef is processed per day, per plant. If an average beef cow weighs 1,150 pounds, that means 2609 cows a day are turned into burgers. That’s 952,285 cows per year. And that’s just in the United States. Eating a hamburger may not be worse than driving a Hummer, but it’s bad. One hamburger patty does not necessarily come from one cow. Think about that. You’re eating bits of hundreds of cows.

One way or another 2609 cows are going to be slaughtered and eaten every day. They can be sold by McDonalds or Black Angus it doesn't matter. The demand will be met and it takes that many to do it.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of writing an article titled: 15 Horrifying Reasons to Never Be Extremely Rude or Obnoxious to the Teenagers Working the Drive-Thru at a Fast Food Restaurant.

NOTE: WARNING! READ NO FURTHER IF YOU WERE EVER RUDE TO "JACK" AT THE JACK IN THE BOX ON MCDOWELL IN SCOTTSDALE ARIZONA

JTS

What?? I ate there last week. Moving like two blocks from there.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score

JTS

I worked at Pizza Hut, being rude wasn't exactly a good idea, pre getting your food that is.

I've seen things.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
McDonald's is great.

Pure slop, and hits the spot when I have 30 seconds to dedicate to dinner.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always get a kick out of these goofy "statistics".

One way or another 2609 cows are going to be slaughtered and eaten every day. They can be sold by McDonalds or Black Angus it doesn't matter. The demand will be met and it takes that many to do it.

When I read that stat the first thing that popped into my head is that they don't use the entire cow so simply dividing the total pounds of beef by the weight of an average cow is a bad estimate.

I've reached a point where i eat mcDonalds so infrequently that when I do eat it, I don't feell well for hours after.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
McDonald's is great.

Pure slop, and hits the spot when I have 30 seconds to dedicate to dinner.

Yep. Scare blogs like this don't affect me in the least. We all know what's in a hot dog, ground beef, etc. I will still eat the hell out of it too when the opportunity arises.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
McDonalds is like the emergency quarterback of fastfood burgers.

Gotta go with In and Out, Wendy's, or Carls Jr. Occasionally Jack in the Crack

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When the body signals the head that it is hungry, it is actually because the gall bladder hasn't been required to emit enzymes into the stomach to break down the protein and fats ( the good fat ). Brain sends a signal that it needs protein, so the human gets the psychological and physiological signals that it is "hungry" ( starved for protein ). Fast food provides little if any. It only fills the hole in the stomach and ends up slowing the whole system down, to a lethargic state. Sort of needing a nap after a big meal. So what is the point of eating fast/junk food? It tastes good? Have at it.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
When the body signals the head that it is hungry, it is actually because the gall bladder hasn't been required to emit enzymes into the stomach to break down the protein and fats ( the good fat ). Brain sends a signal that it needs protein, so the human gets the psychological and physiological signals that it is "hungry" ( starved for protein ). Fast food provides little if any. It only fills the hole in the stomach and ends up slowing the whole system down, to a lethargic state. Sort of needing a nap after a big meal. So what is the point of eating fast/junk food? It tastes good? Have at it.

That when I eat it I feel full.

And when I have 30 seconds to put towards eating, it fullfills that need, for about $5.

Done.

All the scientific mumbo jumbo is great, but when I eat this crap (and it is crap) it satisfies my needs.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That when I eat it I feel full.

And when I have 30 seconds to put towards eating, it fullfills that need, for about $5.

Done.

All the scientific mumbo jumbo is great, but when I eat this crap (and it is crap) it satisfies my needs.

For your well being, I hope you are joking,but whatever.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, yeah. I enjoy eating things that taste good, and whether you agree with it or not, I think fast food tastes good. So, occasionally, I'll eat it.

Thanks, bud! Now I can eat a burger and fries without worrying about your approval!

It is not a matter of approval. Why would you take that attitude? Just sharing some info, which from now on I will keep to myself.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because you shared your "approval:" "have at it."

You are absolutely correct. The article has no redeeming value and I am an idiot for thinking it was interesting. Maybe you are a Mac Donald's franchise owner and the article pissed you off.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are absolutely correct. The article has no redeeming value and I am an idiot for thinking it was interesting. Maybe you are a Mac Donald's franchise owner and the article pissed you off.
Huh?

Where do you get that I'm upset? I simply shared my opinion on the subject of FF. I think it tastes good. I know it's not good for me, so I don't have it very often.

Don't get bent out of shape if the discussion you started doesn't go exactly the way you want it to. Most people on the thread A) acknowledge that FF is bad for you and B) are making a willful decision to continue to eat it because they like the way it tastes.

It's really as simple as that.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah -- Wally just doesn't want to pay for your health care. You have to understand the angles of these things.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah -- Wally just doesn't want to pay for your health care. You have to understand the angles of these things.

Huh? Where did you get that from? I am blatantly pro national healthcare and don't believe anyone should be denied. I thought that was very obvious.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Huh? Where did you get that from? I am blatantly pro national healthcare and don't believe anyone should be denied. I thought that was very obvious.

I'm going to go waaaaayyyyy out on a limb here and guess that Gad was joking.

Scientific evidence has proven that consumption of fast food is directly related to having a sense of humor.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sorry. I couldn't find the "I'm yanking wally's chain" emoticon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose