Reacher (TV series reboot)(Amazon Prime)

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who said that? Geez chill out.

Just pointing out that you think acting skill is secondary to how tall the guy is.
If you think this is related to his height then you are not understanding It’s his overall physical presence including his height and his massive build. It’s a central part of the story.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is the first and the biggest reason he didn’t like the first movie.

I don’t blame him for not liking the first movie because of that, but being big isn’t going to save THIS show if his history as an actor is proven right.
We are talking two different things

Yes we want someone that can act but we also want someone who physically meets jack reacher‘s description

Both are needed.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s still smaller than Reacher in the books, but he’s a huge upgrade over Cruise who never should have been Reacher.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His cheese acting in the preview made it kind of fun. I'm looking forward to it.
Cheese doesn't scream Reacher though. According to some they like this guy better because he looks the part verses can act it.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
The acting is SO bad in this. But the writing is great (even the character/technology tweaks) and the film crew was proficient enough to make the talking, pretty mannequins enjoyable.

The movie adaptations were garbage, not because of Tom Cruise's height, but because they turned Reacher into a Mary Sue. As indestructibly physical the character is in the novels, he has handicaps and weaknesses. The movies made him an urban stunt driver that could blend into a crowd while the entire police force is on the same city block.

The novels' Reacher also has extensive experience in specific circumstances. When the movie version CHOSE to walk into the center of opponents encircling him... Peter Dinklage's acting skills couldn't have made that character believable.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never seen the movie or read the books, I watched the 1st couple episodes of this. I'd describe Reacher as a bit too 'wooden' with no sense of natural body movements, but so far the script has enough juice and humor to it that's its watchable. Since I didn't know anything about the character, somehow I had the mistaken impression that Reacher was supposed to be craggy faced and rough like maybe a younger version of Tommy Lee Jones. Totally off base on that.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The lead actor is so bad.
I've never seen the movie or read the books, I watched the 1st couple episodes of this. I'd describe Reacher as a bit too 'wooden' with no sense of natural body movements, but so far the script has enough juice and humor to it that's its watchable. Since I didn't know anything about the character, somehow I had the mistaken impression that Reacher was supposed to be craggy faced and rough like maybe a younger version of Tommy Lee Jones. Totally off base on that.
He is not good actor. I watched him on Titans and I knew this is what we would get. Everybody said Tom didn't feel like Reacher. Well when you get acting like this? Doesn't feel like Reacher either.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Hate to say I told you so…

But I told you so. A leopard doesn’t change his spots. The script and direction has to be stellar to make up for the acting taking you out of the world they are trying to develop.

I have not watched and not sure I’m going to.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
88% on Rotten Tomatoes with a 94% audience score.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
88% on Rotten Tomatoes with a 94% audience score.
I have a couple friends who were huge on the Reacher books. One told me he thinks the lead delivery is like listening to someone without a soul. The other said he is as deadpan as a corpse in CSI. Neither had seen his previous parts like me. For me? He is simply the same actor I have seen in the other shows he has been in. Interesting enough? We all seem to agree that when there is action without the lead talking? Those scenes are pretty kick ass.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I've read every Reacher book. Tom is a great actor but he is not Reacher. It is all wrong. Reacher is a mountain of a man. Tom is a 5' 7" midget compared to Reacher. Poor, poor casting. I have not seen the TV version but surely there is an actor over 6 foot tall and built who can act. JMHO. Both versions lack credibility. I tried watching TC plaiyng Reacher and couldn't continue. I hear about the TV character's bad acting so never watch that. I'll stick to the books, as usual they are better anyway.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
I've read every Reacher book. Tom is a great actor but he is not Reacher. It is all wrong. Reacher is a mountain of a man. Tom is a 5' 7" midget compared to Reacher. Poor, poor casting. I have not seen the TV version but surely there is an actor over 6 foot tall and built who can act. JMHO. Both versions lack credibility. I tried watching TC plaiyng Reacher and couldn't continue. I hear about the TV character's bad acting so never watch that. I'll stick to the books, as usual they are better anyway.

Maybe I'm easily entertained, but it's not nearly as bad as some people have declared.

I don't know how many of the critics in here were military, but he doesn't come off as "wooden." He comes off as a military officer who's used to speaking plainly and with posture.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
Speaking of which, I just read that Alan Ritchson's father was a Chief Master Sergeant un the USAF so he was raised a military brat.

I wouldn't be shocked to find out that his way of talking is him emulating how his father talked when he was serious.

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a good popcorn show. My wife has read all the books and she really likes it. Not a lot of gore but the fight scenes are worth the price of ticket. Another scene worth the price is Roscoe and Reacher in the shower.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Maybe I'm easily entertained, but it's not nearly as bad as some people have declared.

I don't know how many of the critics in here were military, but he doesn't come off as "wooden." He comes off as a military officer who's used to speaking plainly and with posture.
Right there with you. I'm enjoying this show immensely. So far the writing has been excellent, which is a rarity these days. I hope it carries through the whole season. "Effing Cop" has acted quite well, I think. What some see as wooden delivery I am seeing as wry humor and blunt brute force in turns. Nothing special, and he's not winning any awards, but it's perfectly fine for the show and the role.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It's a good popcorn show. My wife has read all the books and she really likes it. Not a lot of gore but the fight scenes are worth the price of ticket. Another scene worth the price is Rocse and Reacher in the shower.
Exactly. I haven't read the books, but this is what I picture when I hear Reacher described. "Effing cop" won't win any acting awards, but he is perfectly serviceable and believably violent and intimidating.

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's a fair statement. I read this thread after my wife said she wanted to watch it and I was, like meh. I relented and I'm happy I did. I just decided to take it for what it is. Harmless fun, with a balance of violence and humor.

Edit to add: if you like headbutting, you'll love this!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Never read the books. Was mildly entertained by movies. I’m enjoying the show. Definitely popcorn entertainment. I don’t even find the acting to be as bad as people are making out to be. Not even the slightest of distraction.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave