Raptors @ Suns Tuesday scrimmage game 7-28-20

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Why is there always talk about moving oubre? He's an important part of this team. Has the aggressiveness and playability to keep the Suns in the game. I think he brings the best out of other players to with how he plays the game. He never slows down.

We dont need to get rid of him. Keep him and add more players like him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is there always talk about moving oubre? He's an important part of this team. Has the aggressiveness and playability to keep the Suns in the game. I think he brings the best out of other players to with how he plays the game. He never slows down.

A lot of it is because the Suns only signed Oubre to a 2 year contract which expires after next season. Thus a lots of fans view him as an expiring contract and the Suns should get something out of him before he leaves or commands a large contract. Also some fans want to trade him for a power forward. Additionally the development of Bridges plays into this thinking.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Because he will want and likely be able to get 20 million, and we can’t afford to lose him for nothing.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Oubre is one of those perfect trade pieces -- a guy with some value around the league but isn't one of the crucial top 3 pieces to the team. If trading Oubre (or letting his deal expire) can bring us back a player that potentially could be one of those top 3 players on the team, then you do it everytime.
If Sarver weren't the de-facto General Manager (with zero credentials to be so), perhaps.

But look at the past decade. Logic that applies to well run teams . . . does not apply to the Suns.

You don't get rid of, as I said, a spark plug/fan favorite under those circumstances.

Just as the case of a team that has never won a Championship would not consider the moves
that a legitimate contender would to put them over the top.

With Devin double-and triple-teamed and probably still having to cover both Guard positions
(getting closer and closer to wanting out) and Deandre afraid of contact, we're a long way
from thinking like a championship contender.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Sarver weren't the de-facto General Manager (with zero credentials to be so), perhaps.

But look at the past decade. Logic that applies to well run teams . . . does not apply to the Suns.

You don't get rid of, as I said, a spark plug/fan favorite under those circumstances.

Just as the case of a team that has never won a Championship would not consider the moves

With Devin double-and triple-teamed and probably still having to cover both Guard positions
(getting closer and closer to wanting out) and Deandre afraid of contact, we're a long way

You know that Rubio is still on the team and is the primarily facilitator on offense, right? You can't ignore a guy who starts and plays 31+ minutes a night and averages 9 assists a game to push this narrative of Booker being the PG and demanding a trade because he's forced to play out of position.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Are you copying and pasting posts from 2016?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Two reasons. His deal will expire next year and he will probably walk and Mikal's development. If Mikal is worthy of a starting spot over Oubre at SF (and I think that is inevitable), and Oubre is not really a PF do you really think he will stay? Would it not make more sense to move him for a player that fits our PF needs?

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
With regards to how the future of Oubre with the Suns should be handled, and why it's a cause for angst with many here, just look back to the case of TJ Warren (which wasn't that long ago) and how that played out.

It was a massive bumble on the part of the GM. As a result, the jury is still out on whether Jones is even less competent than the guy he replaced.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
'Sad that is the case, isn't it? Not moving ahead is falling behind.
Yeah, but evertyhing comes back into fashion, or history repeats itself. So aren't they actually ahead of the curve? ;)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still not so sure about Oubre. The cap space he frees up in 2021 by letting him walk may be as valuable, if not more valuable, than his trade value right now.

I think both sides have seen the writing on the wall and Oubre knows that he's going to be either the backup or the odd man out. I don't believe he really wants a trade but Bridges is going to be the far better player IMO and he doesn't have the injury baggage so he's expecting to be moved. And when you're a cellar team as we have been for many years, focusing on freeing up cap space doesn't seem like the best decision.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think both sides have seen the writing on the wall and Oubre knows that he's going to be either the backup or the odd man out. I don't believe he really wants a trade but Bridges is going to be the far better player IMO and he doesn't have the injury baggage so he's expecting to be moved. And when you're a cellar team as we have been for many years, focusing on freeing up cap space doesn't seem like the best decision.

The silence is deafening. It reminds me of the Lance Blanks era.

I think Oubre and Bridges could start together but perhaps the Suns have already made it known they do not want to pay him with the emergence of Bridges and Cam Johnson looking like a keeper.

Personally I think a rotation of athletic wings with height might be the way to go in today's NBA. I get a bit nervous when the Suns do not want to add to this core.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

I think Oubre and Bridges could start together but perhaps the Suns have already made it known they do not want to pay him with the emergence of Bridges and Cam Johnson looking like a keeper.

Personally I think a rotation of athletic wings with height might be the way to go in today's NBA. I get a bit nervous when the Suns do not want to add to this core.
I think there's a possibility that it can work, but I can't get over the fact that we need a PF that is more traditional than simply a converted SF. Bridges and Oubre both are starting caliber players, but I think putting either in that PF slot really is a detriment to their skills. It's no surprise that Mikal's resurgence right now is when he is exclusively playing SF.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Right now, yes they could start together but that's more a function of what we're missing than what they'd give us IMO. Oubre, when he's on, can sort of make up for playing like he's the only one out there but you're still better off with an actual team player because no one is on every night and when he's off you might as well pencil in a loss.

I really wish Oubre was a little more willing to play team ball or a lot more willing to be compensated in line with being instant offense off the bench. He's a momentum changer and a fan favorite and other than the fact he mostly plays one on five, he's a wonderful teammate. He'd be great as a 6th or 7th man but he clearly expects star dollars and that's a problem.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right now, yes they could start together but that's more a function of what we're missing than what they'd give us IMO. Oubre, when he's on, can sort of make up for playing like he's the only one out there but you're still better off with an actual team player because no one is on every night and when he's off you might as well pencil in a loss.

I really wish Oubre was a little more willing to play team ball or a lot more willing to be compensated in line with being instant offense off the bench. He's a momentum changer and a fan favorite and other than the fact he mostly plays one on five, he's a wonderful teammate. He'd be great as a 6th or 7th man but he clearly expects star dollars and that's a problem.

We've always differed a bit why players play the way they do like PJ Tucker.

I view Oubre as a team player who has tried to help carry the team when they sputter. With Bridges and Cam Johnson improving this should help.

Adding a point guard/combo guard and more athletic talent should solve a lot of Suns problems.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there's a possibility that it can work, but I can't get over the fact that we need a PF that is more traditional than simply a converted SF. Bridges and Oubre both are starting caliber players, but I think putting either in that PF slot really is a detriment to their skills. It's no surprise that Mikal's resurgence right now is when he is exclusively playing SF.

When Bridges and Oubre started together the Suns played some of their best basketball.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Still not so sure about Oubre. The cap space he frees up in 2021 by letting him walk may be as valuable, if not more valuable, than his trade value right now.

I don't think so. The cap is likely to shrink considerably. Next season will probably be shortened and played largely or entirely without fans.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't get the fear about Oubre supposedly being unhappy. He had surgery on his knee, he took the long recovery route, we saw a video where he was literally getting to jump for the FIRST TIME like a month ago. I was and still am holding out hope that he will be able to play but I don't think his status has anything to do with wanting out.

He is in the bubble and he doesn't need to be. If he didn't WANT to be here he wouldn't have volunteered to get locked up in a hotel with his teammates.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think so. The cap is likely to shrink considerably. Next season will probably be shortened and played largely or entirely without fans.

If it's played at all. We're only about 4 months away from the start of cold, flu, bronchitis and pneumonia season (not to mention the winter increase in asthma severity) and we've yet to deal with a virus that will likely hit us much harder in cold weather. Fortunately, by then, our health professionals will probably be too exhausted to complain very much as they drop dead from Covid-19 and overwork.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's played at all. We're only about 4 months away from the start of cold, flu, bronchitis and pneumonia season (not to mention the winter increase in asthma severity) and we've yet to deal with a virus that will likely hit us much harder in cold weather. Fortunately, by then, our health professionals will probably be too exhausted to complain very much as they drop dead from Covid-19 and overwork.

I wouldn't sugar coat it. It's going to be much worse. :wink2:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I don't get the fear about Oubre supposedly being unhappy. He had surgery on his knee, he took the long recovery route, we saw a video where he was literally getting to jump for the FIRST TIME like a month ago. I was and still am holding out hope that he will be able to play but I don't think his status has anything to do with wanting out.

He is in the bubble and he doesn't need to be. If he didn't WANT to be here he wouldn't have volunteered to get locked up in a hotel with his teammates.

There’s video on his Instagram from May dunking in his backyard.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The free agency class is going to be vastly superior to this one. I get that most people think that Phoenix isn’t a destination, but still.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There’s video on his Instagram from May dunking in his backyard.

Yeah, and that video it is mentioned that he is literally jumping for the first time since his injury!

Again, he had every excuse to NOT be in the bubble, he is there 100% voluntarily. He could be still eating whatever he wants, going where he pleases and seeing family friends and hot babes... instead he decided to lock himself in a hotel with his teammates for months. I have zero question about Oubre's desire to stick with the team.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The free agency class is going to be vastly superior to this one. I get that most people think that Phoenix isn’t a destination, but still.

Well, if the cap shrinks (or doesn't grow) we won't have much cap space and it won't matter how good the class is. Unless the big contract players agree to have their salaries scaled back along with the shrinking cap, I don't see how teams are going to have space to make big splashes.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard