Raptors @ Suns Tuesday scrimmage game 7-28-20

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s why Kira Lewis is quickly moving up on my draft wish list.

I like Lewis as well but as I wrote on another thread, he reminds me a bit of Cam Payne who doesn't finish strong at the rim. He sort of floats the ball up there too early rather than finish the play. Payne did the same thing in the Suns-Raptors scrimmage. Lewis tends to not finish the play at the rim either.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I ma vert encouraged by Bridges play. I just want to see him sustain it through bubble play into next year. That would make this short play in scenario worth it for me. Cam's play would be just icing on the cake. We need Ayton to start being more agressive like Bridges, too! Like I said, I will be ahhpy just seeing Bridges maintian his play. That's enough for me on this run of games.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After watching the game...

I'm going to say this...Cam will be a better 3pt shooter than Booker. I said it. I'm sold on his stroke and form. Also he looks bigger and taller. He had a couple of quick and surprising dunks in both scrimmage games, and who can forget the poster dunk pre-covid.

Booker is still coming into form it seems, wish he'd be a knockdown shooter, his % are good but just seems like he should be automatic.

Ayton was such a huge softie!!! He got blocked like 3 times? Last year we suspected it was conditioning, same as when he came back from suspension, and now again from the covid break. Must be a big-man thing because Diallo was also soft going up and missed a layup and dunk i believe.

Our Sf position is nice with Bridges and Oubre, and better with Cam rounding into form.

Still needing an athletic pf and I'd prefer to see a combo guard for Rubio's backup. We need to shed Okobo and Jerome.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

I'm going to say this...Cam will be a better 3pt shooter than Booker. I said it. I'm sold on his stroke and form. Also he looks bigger and taller. He had a couple of quick and surprising dunks in both scrimmage games, and who can forget the poster dunk pre-covid.

Booker is still coming into form it seems, wish he'd be a knockdown shooter, his % are good but just seems like he should be automatic.

Ayton was such a huge softie!!! He got blocked like 3 times? Last year we suspected it was conditioning, same as when he came back from suspension, and now again from the covid break. Must be a big-man thing because Diallo was also soft going up and missed a layup and dunk i believe.

Our Sf position is nice with Bridges and Oubre, and better with Cam rounding into form.

Still needing an athletic pf and I'd prefer to see a combo guard for Rubio's backup. We need to shed Okobo and Jerome.
Give credit where credit is due -- the Raptors have stellar interior defense. They are also good at positioning so we couldn't get in good spots down low.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Cam has less responsibility within the offense and demands less attention. It wouldn’t be a shocker if his 3pt% is better than Book’s... I really like the idea of Cam in a 6th-man sniper type role.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns are going to have to go hard after a point guard after the season.

I think it will be a very dull offseason with the late end to this season, shorter offseason, unknown financial implications of Covid-19, and lack of quality free agents across the board. That isn't just a projection for the Suns but the league as a whole. James Jones seems to be big on continuity and Monty seems to be in line with that as well, to a certain extent, with how he's been slow to make rotation changes. If we retain most everyone and blow our cap space on 1 guy to fill holes, I got my fingers crossed for Jordan Clarkson. He'll be able to play backup PG and provide a scoring punch off the bench. He's got size and isn't a terrible defender either.

Ayton/Baynes/Kaminsky
Oubre/Saric/1st Round Pick
Mikal/Cam
Booker/Carter
Rubio/Clarkson/Lecque

That is a playoff team, IMO.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it will be a very dull offseason with the late end to this season, shorter offseason, unknown financial implications of Covid-19, and lack of quality free agents across the board. That isn't just a projection for the Suns but the league as a whole. James Jones seems to be big on continuity and Monty seems to be in line with that as well, to a certain extent, with how he's been slow to make rotation changes. If we retain most everyone and blow our cap space on 1 guy to fill holes, I got my fingers crossed for Jordan Clarkson. He'll be able to play backup PG and provide a scoring punch off the bench. He's got size and isn't a terrible defender either.

Ayton/Baynes/Kaminsky
Mikal/Cam
Booker/Carter
Rubio/Clarkson/Lecque

in the East. Only way it’s a playoff team in the West is if Ayton straps on his set of nuts and is a major difference make at least 75% of the games instead of the 50% of games now, IMO.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ayton/Baynes/Kaminsky
Mikal/Cam
Booker/Carter
Rubio/Clarkson/Lecque

I've always been a fan of Jordan Clarkson and the Jazz got him so cheap via trade. He would be a nice acquisition plus add a forward in the draft. I'm just concerned how willing the Suns will be willing to spend money next season with the impact of the coronavirus on the NBA.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gambo intimated they might trade Oubre for Aaron Gordon. He thinks they WILL treat Oubre more as an asset right now. Sort of makes sense to me. I do not think much is going to happen with free agency--too much financial uncertainty for owners to spend much.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Still not so sure about Oubre. The cap space he frees up in 2021 by letting him walk may be as valuable, if not more valuable, than his trade value right now.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I’m more worried about paying Kelly then losing him. He’s a good player but not essential going forward. If they can get him on something reasonable I’m not against retaining him.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Give credit where credit is due -- the Raptors have stellar interior defense. They are also good at positioning so we couldn't get in good spots down low.
While true, a truly dominant center still finds a way to impose his will on the game. Ayton’s performance was disappointing.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh this Oubre talk reminded me of something in the game, did you guys see him trying to get the "crowd" hyped up LOL

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m more worried about paying Kelly then losing him. He’s a good player but not essential going forward. If they can get him on something reasonable I’m not against retaining him.

Kelly Oubre is guaranteed $14,375,000 for next season. When the Suns did not sign him to a multiyear contract I was always concerned about losing him.

The Suns focus should be on adding talent, not losing it.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kelly Oubre is guaranteed $14,375,000 for next season. When the Suns did not sign him to a multiyear contract I was always concerned about losing him.

So much this ^

The only way they'll be able to move forward is by adding talent, they really don't have the luxury of losing any of the talent that is here. While Mikal's play has been encouraging, I don't believe he's made Oubre expendable. If he can maintain this level into next season up to the All-Star break then I could see shopping Oubre at that time, depending on the team's record, but moving Oubre before then for anyone that isn't a better fit than him is a mistake.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Yes if reasonably priced. I like the deal they signed him to but they got lucky with the FA class and being restricted.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes if reasonably priced. I like the deal they signed him to but they got lucky with the FA class and being restricted.

I think the value of a lot of players went down after the coronavirus. The same may apply to Oubre so there is a good chance the Suns can keep him after next season if they so desire.

My concern is the Suns will view Oubre's contract as a means to save money either as an expiring contract or in a trade where a team absorbs his contract with nothing much coming back.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think the value of a lot of players went down after the coronavirus. The same may apply to Oubre so there is a good chance the Suns can keep him after next season if they so desire.

My concern is the Suns will view Oubre's contract as a means to save money either as an expiring contract or in a trade where a team absorbs his contract with nothing much coming back.
Have to keep bringing up 2021 and the free agent class. Is Oubre worth the money we will have to pay him to retain him?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have to keep bringing up 2021 and the free agent class. Is Oubre worth the money we will have to pay him to retain him?

We will find out soon enough. Next season the Suns can either trade him at the trade deadline or try to keep him if he keeps getting better. Also we do not know Oubre's future market value. It might turn out to be quite reasonable with the economic impact of the coronavirus.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

Completely agree! Suns need as many NBA players as they can get, especially above average NBA players. They should not be getting rid of them. Oubre may be more valuable to the Suns than anyone else though. He is a two-way player. Not great on either end, but good on both ends. He also has some charisma that the Suns really lack. If I were the Suns GM, I would not be getting rid of Oubre.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Completely agree! Suns need as many NBA players as they can get, especially above average NBA players. They should not be getting rid of them. Oubre may be more valuable to the Suns than anyone else though. He is a two-way player. Not great on either end, but good on both ends. He also has some charisma that the Suns really lack. If I were the Suns GM, I would not be getting rid of Oubre.
Oubre is one of those perfect trade pieces -- a guy with some value around the league but isn't one of the crucial top 3 pieces to the team. If trading Oubre (or letting his deal expire) can bring us back a player that potentially could be one of those top 3 players on the team, then you do it everytime.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Oubre is one of those perfect trade pieces -- a guy with some value around the league but isn't one of the crucial top 3 pieces to the team. If trading Oubre (or letting his deal expire) can bring us back a player that potentially could be one of those top 3 players on the team, then you do it everytime.
On a competing team, perhaps. But the Suns have been out of the playoffs for a decade.

You don't get rid of a spark plug and fan favorite under those circumstances.

Sad, but that is the priority, until the Suns become competitive.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
On a competing team, perhaps. But the Suns have been out of the playoffs for a decade.

You don't get rid of a spark plug and fan favorite under those circumstances.

Sad, but that is the priority, until the Suns become competitive.
Then how do you become competitive? This is unbelievably foolish. So you won't give up decent pieces until we're competitive. How do we become competitive if we don't give up decent pieces??

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Then how do you become competitive? This is unbelievably foolish. So you won't give up decent pieces until we're competitive. How do we become competitive if we don't give up decent pieces??
My worry is we know what we have in Oubre. I am still not confident In James Jones ability to make a trade to benefit us. If I had more confidence in him, if he had more of a track record, yes trade pieces to get pieces.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard