Rapoport: Cardinals trading out of #3 very very likely

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Dolphins did very well. We could just as easily draft, say, Calvin Pace and Skillet hands.

While your original example is bad, it's a great debate because both sides can easily be right. If Anderson hits and the later players don't, especially if Seattle takes him we're bemoaning 2003 take two. If Anderson's only average and we draft him and a few later players are stars, guys like me will get trashed.
The draft is a damn crap shoot.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
IMO, if you have a chance to grab a potential superstar at a premium position you don't pass up on it, especially when you desperately need someone at that very position. End of story.

I'd rather have 1 superstar at one of the most important positions in football than a couple good players.

Agree.
But what about 1 superstar versus 3 stars?
Say...Anderson goes to 10 pro bowls
Or you get 3 guys who have 10-15 year careers and go to 3 or 4 pro bowls each??

Makes it a tougher call... having more quality star level players goes further towards advancing the team than a single super star.

Im definitely on the Anderson or bust bandwagon. But not because im 100% certain on him.... more because we dont know who we will get at say... 9 and less so at 23...once you give up draft position you aint just gambling on if your pick will pan out but also on if he will even be available when your pick comes around...
Thats too much to chance. Take the best chance and run.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Agree.

Makes it a tougher call... having more quality star level players goes further towards advancing the team than a single super star.

Im definitely on the Anderson or bust bandwagon. But not because im 100% certain on him.... more because we dont know who we will get at say... 9 and less so at 23...once you give up draft position you aint just gambling on if your pick will pan out but also on if he will even be available when your pick comes around...
Eh, more picks are also more chance at busts. It can really really go either way. And not many players play 10-15 years and go to 3 or 4 pro bowls. Thinking we're going to net 3 of them is, IMO, fantasy land. I agree with your last paragraph--take the best chance and run.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree.

You can't be 100% certain on any of em, but if you have one of these true blue chip prospects sitting there, IMO you take it, no questions asked. You have no idea what might be on the board when you trade back, you don't know what will be there when the future picks convey.

And yeah, I'd rather have one superstar, especially on the edge, than a couple solid players who make some pro bowls.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Trying to characterize this pool as anything but a crap shoot is a gamble and a fool's errand. When the choice is a blue-chip prospect staring you in the face at a huge position of need at a premium position, or maybe the pool being good enough that you get some good players in a trade down, stick with the best bet. Stay put and make the easy choice.
Since we’re arguing hypotheticals, this is one of those dispute only time will resolve.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You kept banging the Trey Lance drum. 1) We're not drafting a QB and 2) We're not reaching for a small school never has been who barely played any games. The whole "You'd rather be stuck with Lance than all these players" schtick is a false equivalency. Might as well say Sauce Gardener instead.
I kept banging a drum that shows that it is possible to do well trading down, even if there is an awesome player still on the board. I'm not the one stuck on Lance, it is those that keep saying I am. I pivoted away from lance to the #3 pick abstractly, as well as using Micah Parsons.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
You all keep talking like if we don't trade back our draft is over when we take Anderson. We would still have all our picks, with 2 really good ones near the top of R2 and R3. So its not like it is Anderson and no one else, or no Anderson and 3 other good players. We can have our cake and eat it too. The key is hitting on those picks, no matter if we have an extra 1 or 2 or not. There is no reason we can't get Anderson, a starting IOL, and a decent CB or DT. Some teams like always will hit on some gems in Day 3 also. Maybe we can for a change.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Maybe they put the “likely to trade” rumor out there so Indy tries to get the spot. 3 for 4+ and STILL get Anderson. Maybe Indy gives 4 & 35? Is that enough?
You make it sound like teams don't always tell the truth. If you can't believe your own team then who can you believe? :)

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
I read an article that reduced the Cards blue chip players to about 15-20 players, maybe less. It was based on MO and what MB asked of him. Point totals were for character concerns, team captain, stats got better thru college, no injury concerns. All stuff Keim flocked to. That limits this draft to about 15-20 players with only half tru blue chip. Expect 2 trades and another. Only so much talent; but as long as teams are desperate to get Carr and Rodgers, there's a chance to stockpile and Hop too.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That's the whole point Jet.

One great player is pointless on an otherwise poor team.

We aren't going to answer all of our needs in one Free Agency and Draft.

At this point, we have five picks in the first 106, and if rumours are to be believed, we could add one, possibly two, in this range with a DHop trade.

So six or seven picks likely to be graded in the top 100 prospects is a good start, and we certainly don't need to sacrifice a blue-chipper at #3 to accomplish this.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is fun. I think a lot is going to change especially after the FA qbs start to land. At this point I don’t see a QB going with the 1st pick. I think the Bears are not going to get the ransom they think they should get.
If they don’t, I can see them taking Anderson.
Of course that means we would be thrilled to trade down and there is a possibility someone would trade with us for a QB at 3.
All that being said on defense I think we need a stud DT and an edge. Love to get a cb and I think that’s a real possibility especially if Murphy leaves.

On offense we need a center that can walk into camp and be the starter. We also need a RB and WR if Hopkins gone. I would love the Chiefs #1 pick for Hopkins. That pick could fill one of the holes and might get extra picks with a trade. However, if Gibbs is there at 31 I’d love him.

Come up with a draft scenario that gets us a DT, Edge, Center, RB and Wr and I’ll be happy. And any of those needs could change with free agency.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
And the Chiefs had the #4 OL, by the end of the year, per PFF. Linups.com had them at #2, behind the Eagles OL..Sharp Football Analysis had them at #3...so there is definitely something to say about OL play and long-term winning success.
But that’s a line. No one offensive lineman is going to impact the game the way a single elite passrusher can.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
unless you get a guy who routinely shuts down the other teams elite pass rusher.
Yea I would say a true elite LT is equally as valuable.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But that’s a line. No one offensive lineman is going to impact the game the way a single elite passrusher can.
There's an argument to made that the 3 picks you get could fill the C, and 2 guards positions and they would be young, cost controlled and hopefully give the QB more time in the pocket giving the offense and advantage

I'm not saying to do it, but the argument is there

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Richardson is a better prospect than Lance was.

Him and Stroud are having killer combines, if Young's value still holds, we have to hope someone outside of Indy trades up to #1 and gives us a perfect opportunity to swap with Indy and still take Anderson. Best case scenario for sure.