Random, Flaggstaff Observations

MrY

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hardy Brown said:
Whenever you take the element of fear out of the game of football you're not playing football...you're playing soccer.

I love this line

EuroCard

Rookie
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardy Brown
Whenever you take the element of fear out of the game of football you're not playing football...you're playing soccer.

Except when you insult somebodies mother of course, then its time to be really afraid!

OP
OP
Hardy Brown

Hardy Brown

Rookie
Reaction score
How is Navarre looking?

He looks good. I still can't believe how much he has changed his throwing motion. He's shortened it up, considerably. This is not an easy thing to do, but he had to in order to play in this league. The only negative consequence of this change in Navarre's motion is the ball is released lower, more from his shoulder. You sometimes worry about throws getting batted down at the line-of-scrimmage or, even worse, batted in the air! It's a very good thing he's so tall to begin with; it kind of negates the advantage of being tall.

Denny loves Navarre and this makes me think he's got a chance to be a good quarterback.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hardy Brown said:
How is Navarre looking?

He looks good. I still can't believe how much he has changed his throwing motion. He's shortened it up, considerably. This is not an easy thing to do, but he had to in order to play in this league. The only negative consequence of this change in Navarre's motion is the ball is released lower, more from his shoulder. You sometimes worry about throws getting batted down at the line-of-scrimmage or, even worse, batted in the air! It's a very good thing he's so tall to begin with; it kind of negates the advantage of being tall.

Denny loves Navarre and this makes me think he's got a chance to be a good quarterback.

I'm really glad you mentioned this, because when I first got to camp I thought "wow, Navarre's really working on his release." then I saw him later and thought "hmm, it's still looking odd." I wasn't putting together that his release is lower now even though his mechanics are better...I thought I was seeing things for a bit. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I was actually pretty impressed with some of Navarre's throws, especially the deep balls. He seems to have a nice touch on the ball deep. Doing that against a live defense wanting his head as a trophy though? I don't know if he can do it.

EuroCard

Rookie
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
I'm really glad you mentioned this, because when I first got to camp I thought "wow, Navarre's really working on his release." then I saw him later and thought "hmm, it's still looking odd." I wasn't putting together that his release is lower now even though his mechanics are better...I thought I was seeing things for a bit. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I was actually pretty impressed with some of Navarre's throws, especially the deep balls. He seems to have a nice touch on the ball deep. Doing that against a live defense wanting his head as a trophy though? I don't know if he can do it.

I think he proved he can do it last year. His presence in the pocket against Detroit was rock solid, was a shame he broke his finger.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
EuroCard said:
I think he proved he can do it last year. His presence in the pocket against Detroit was rock solid, was a shame he broke his finger.

Go to NFL.com and get Navarre's stats for that game and you may wonder how bad he could have been if his presence in the pocket against Detroit wasn't, as you say - rock solid.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hardy Brown said:
How is Navarre looking?

I agree. He looks good. And throws hard.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crazy Canuck said:
Go to NFL.com and get Navarre's stats for that game and you may wonder how bad he could have been if his presence in the pocket against Detroit wasn't, as you say - rock solid.

He was doing well right up until he broke the finger, which happened early 2nd quarter, if I recall correctly. The wheels came off then.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
...if you get my drift.[/quote]

hardy....i get your "drift" if you get my drift....i wonder how many other's who read your post get the drift of what you mean??? nice post by you as usual.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I'm in the minority here, but if this new punter has the goods, maybe we should cut ties with Player. I'd hate to get into the situation where we lose the kid, only to find out a year from now that Player has aged to the point where he's ineffective.

I like Player (and his single-bar helmet), but there are teams out there desperate for good punting and I don't think we'd be able to get a talented punter through the waiver wire to make the PS. I know Denver is in a minor panic about not having Saurbraun (sp?) for the first four games.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hardy Brown said:
How is Navarre looking?

The only negative consequence of this change in Navarre's motion is the ball is released lower, more from his shoulder

I don't think a lower release point will hurt him too much seeing as the guy is 6'6" tall. I'd much rather see the ball come out faster.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:
I don't think a lower release point will hurt him too much seeing as the guy is 6'6" tall. I'd much rather see the ball come out faster.

So true. I watched Andrew Walter last evening, with his long follow through - and it simply doesn't work at this level.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard