Preliminary extension talks have begun with Shipley

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
We have time. He's under contract for 20 and 21.
It's clear we're not going to see eye-to-eye. But pretending this upcoming year is a really good chance to produce? Or the following? I just don't understand.

Like a lot of discussions with some other posters over the past year or so, I just don't understand the optimism. Our GM can't draft his way out of a wet paper bag. We're about to sign a guy to a contract to make sure Cole can't contribute unless there's an injury. Keim has the second worst success rate of active GMs with his picks, only beaten by the Browns over the same period.

The team is just atrocious because of his drafting. And, how long do you give a drafted player that doesn't play before determining they're a bust?

This is comparable to Chase Edmonds. A guy who is not significantly given snaps, and is therefore pretty replaceable. Almost our entire roster is replaceable.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's clear we're not going to see eye-to-eye. But pretending this upcoming year is a really good chance to produce? Or the following? I just don't understand.

Like a lot of discussions with some other posters over the past year or so, I just don't understand the optimism. Our GM can't draft his way out of a wet paper bag. We're about to sign a guy to a contract to make sure Cole can't contribute unless there's an injury. Keim has the second worst success rate of active GMs with his picks, only beaten by the Browns over the same period.

The team is just atrocious because of his drafting. And, how long do you give a drafted player that doesn't play before determining they're a bust?

This is comparable to Chase Edmonds. A guy who is not significantly given snaps, and is therefore pretty replaceable. Almost our entire roster is replaceable.

AQ is getting a new deal because he had a good season and perhaps a squatty centre helps our vertically challenged QB with his sight lines.

Cole is still a kid. He has a defined role, which could turn into a permanence at guard or centre.

Edmonds lost snaps because he got hurt and the new guy got hot.

Dumping on Keim is a waste of time.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
AQ is getting a new deal because he had a good season and perhaps a squatty centre helps our vertically challenged QB with his sight lines.

Cole is still a kid. He has a defined role, which could turn into a permanence at guard or centre.

Edmonds lost snaps because he got hurt and the new guy got hot.

Dumping on Keim is a waste of time.
1. Starting Shipley over Cole made as much sense as starting Cooper, Byrd, and Sherfield over Isabella, Johnson, and Butler this season. Completely stunts any chance of development from a coach who claims "compared to game reps, you just can't replicate those" when talking about Murray.

2. Cole's a kid with limited reps because there are three veterans ahead of him that will be in the same position in 2020 if Shipley is re-signed.

3. Edmonds never really got snaps or had significant success with either coaching staff. He's had some okay games, but is the worst backup RB in the division, and will never challenge to be the starting RB for this team.

I'm on repeat, I know. But players who don't start aren't successful players. I know backups must contribute and are important, but there's no reason for optimism on guys who are being actively replaced.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A coach and staff owes it to the team to play the best players especially when you are still in the hunt.

Cole has value. Even if he was equal to Shipley his availability to play center, guard and even tackle makes it worth keeping him in a position to replace a injury or spell a starter. I don’t see this as him being a fail draft pick.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Did you take a moment to look at our run stats before posting?

AQ centred a line that delivered the second highest average per carry in the League (5yds)

AND

The offensive line was ranked No. 10 in the NFL per ESPN’s Pass-Block Win Rate and Shipley finished fifth among centers, winning 95% of his matchups.

Sendlein, Boehm - ???

Per ESPN, per PFF he is not even in the top 15 of C.

We might differ, but I think we saw how often the OL was destroyed from the inside.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
1. Starting Shipley over Cole made as much sense as starting Cooper, Byrd, and Sherfield over Isabella, Johnson, and Butler this season. Completely stunts any chance of development from a coach who claims "compared to game reps, you just can't replicate those" when talking about Murray.

2. Cole's a kid with limited reps because there are three veterans ahead of him that will be in the same position in 2020 if Shipley is re-signed.

3. Edmonds never really got snaps or had significant success with either coaching staff. He's had some okay games, but is the worst backup RB in the division, and will never challenge to be the starting RB for this team.

I'm on repeat, I know. But players who don't start aren't successful players. I know backups must contribute and are important, but there's no reason for optimism on guys who are being actively replaced.

Yawn...worst backup RB in the division. I wouldnt trade Edmonds for Penny or Malcolm Brown.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Yawn...worst backup RB in the division. I wouldnt trade Edmonds for Penny or Malcolm Brown.
Malcolm Brown just got offered a contract by another team, and Penny is a 1st round pick with some dynamic play this season. You let your rose colored glasses influence you too much man.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Malcolm Brown just got offered a contract by another team, and Penny is a 1st round pick with some dynamic play this season. You let your rose colored glasses influence you too much man.

Penny has had numerous injuries including an ACL tear or other major injury this year.

Malcom Brown was awful this year. Who cares that the Lions, THE LIONS, offered him a offer sheet. He was bad this year. Also more expensive than Edmonds.

Maybe you should jump on google and hit up profootballreference.com before you make nonsensical claims.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Penny has had numerous injuries including an ACL tear or other major injury this year.

Malcom Brown was awful this year. Who cares that the Lions, THE LIONS, offered him a offer sheet. He was bad this year. Also more expensive than Edmonds.

Maybe you should jump on google and hit up profootballreference.com before you make nonsensical claims.
Fight me IRL bro!

Kidding, of course. But if Edmonds got cut tomorrow he’d struggle to get signed to a roster.

On another note, I got a Ninja Turtles arcade machine and it made me think of you.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Fight me IRL bro!

Kidding, of course. But if Edmonds got cut tomorrow he’d struggle to get signed to a roster.

On another note, I got a Ninja Turtles arcade machine and it made me think of you.

As Kerouac said, nonsense.

Edmonds is a cheap, solid young RB. All he has done is produce when given more than a few carries.

Hes not a starter, but neither are almost 100 other RBs. Chase would at least be in the top 15 nonstarting RBs in the NFL. Hed be a starter on at least a few teams.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lol, just off the Falcons game alone, Chase would get swooped up with the quickness, let alone the Giants game.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That is illegal. Tampering. The Rams should file a complaint immediately and that team should lose a pick.