Preliminary extension talks have begun with Shipley

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
scott bordow (@sbordow)
12/30/19, 9:36 AM
The Cardinals have begun preliminary contract extension talks with center A.Q. Shipley. I would expect the two sides to reach a deal fairly quickly. Shipley said today he wants to finish his career here

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is a keim move
Shipley is the weak part of the line, not athletic enough for the air raid offense, getting pretty old
A typical illogical move made from one of the most disfunctional organizations

Last edited:

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why is anyone surprised by this. Murray is comfortable with him, and he does a passable job.

We have much bigger needs - and limited money and draft picks to fix them with.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I haven't seen if Shipley has signed an extension or not. If he has it better be for backup money.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I'll never really understand the hate that Shipley gets here. People did the same stuff about Lyle Sendlein.

If the Cards could easily upgrade from Shipley, they would have.

Two different issues.

They drafted 3 C's to replace Shipley (4th rd Boehm, 4th rd Cole, 6th rd Galliard).

That doesn't make Shipley good...just better than those guys at this point.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'll never really understand the hate that Shipley gets here. People did the same stuff about Lyle Sendlein.

the likely extension seems to be more a case of friendship then based performance

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Two different issues.

They drafted 3 C's to replace Shipley (4th rd Boehm, 4th rd Cole, 6th rd Galliard).

That doesn't make Shipley good...just better than those guys at this point.

I don't know, before to be part of one worse line in football (Cardinals) he has been a back up for a very mediocre line (colts)
He is a guy with not athletic look, bald, with red cheeks, probably that's why he got some simpathy from keim and arians, and maybe they share the same passion for long drinks

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know, before to be part of one worse line in football (Cardinals) he has been a back up for a very mediocre line (colts)
He is a guy with not athletic look, bald, with red cheeks, that's why he got some simpathy from keim and arians, and problably they share the same passion for long drinks
Pretty pathetic comment.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like the move because with Murray it's essential to limit the interior rush. He can evade the exterior rush but pressure up the middle forces him back.

Game plan against the cards was to push up the middle and have the exterior rush run way wide

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
its the "first, do no harm" strategy

my Guillard or Cole, or a draft pick can compete in training camp and take the job

if they can, great. But if they cant, you are no worse off.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't like the move because with Murray it's essential to limit the interior rush. He can evade the exterior rush but pressure up the middle forces him back.

Game plan against the cards was to push up the middle and have the exterior rush run way wide
That is the game plan against Brees also. Fwiw

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

To be clear I think Shipley is a solid C but I agree with Chris Sanders that we need a stud at the C position. C and RT are the glaring positions on the Olione that need to be addressed this offseason, assuming Hump is kept.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
To be clear I think Shipley is a solid C but I agree with Chris Sanders that we need a stud at the C position. C and RT are the glaring positions on the Olione that need to be addressed this offseason, assuming Hump is kept.

I think that RT is the only glaring OL position that needs to be addressed with a solid player. You can add in OC as the next most obvious place for an upgrade because everyone else is expensive/under contract.

But we can be an above-average offensive line by replacing Justin Murray with a good lineman. I wouldn't pass on an elite guard prospect because we have Justin Pugh under contract through 2022 or because Sweezy had a solid season.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think that RT is the only glaring OL position that needs to be addressed with a solid player. You can add in OC as the next most obvious place for an upgrade because everyone else is expensive/under contract.

But we can be an above-average offensive line by replacing Justin Murray with a good lineman. I wouldn't pass on an elite guard prospect because we have Justin Pugh under contract through 2022 or because Sweezy had a solid season.
I would make this argument across the board. No player on our roster should prevent us from adding someone we think can be special. That said, rolling out this offensive line next year isn't the worst situation either.

Shipley is a reflection of our line as a whole. Is he/it up-gradable? Yes. Are we willing/able to to use the resources to acquire that level of upgrade? To be determined.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Again, Shipley is solid but IMHO this unit needs a difference maker at the C position. Murray impressed me in how he played especially considering he was picked up after the season started but I agree he needs to be upgrade first.

What is your needs list for this team?

OT
DE
ILB
OLB
C
WR

This are the main needs IMO and pretty much in this order.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard