Post-combine Cardinals chatter

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are some exceprts from another interesting article by Scott Bordow in the Athletic:

... [T]here was some chatter once the workouts were concluded. Here’s what we’re hearing:

Dream Weaver
Any chance the Cardinals had of Clemson linebacker Isaiah Simmons falling into their lap at No. 8 probably ended with Simmons’ otherworldly performance at the combine. ... Arizona could attempt to sign an edge rusher in free agency, but... the price tag on the few quality pass rushers available might be inflated beyond what the Cardinals want to pay.

One name I’ve heard as a possibility with their second-round pick (No. 40 overall) is Boise State’s Curtis Weaver....

Another option at No. 40 is Michigan’s Josh Uche....

... t makes sense to grab either a wide receiver or offensive tackle in the first round and then find Jones’ partner at No. 40. A player such as Weaver or Uche would replace Reddick, who might be on his way out of Arizona after the 2020 season and allow Arizona to devote a big chunk of its cap space to improving the defensive line.

Derek Wolfe
One free agent linked to the Cardinals is 30-year-old defensive end Derek Wolfe. ... One note of caution is Wolfe’s injury history. He’s played 16 games just three times in his nine-year career.

Draft capital
... [P]eople around the league believe the Cardinals could trade out of the No. 8 pick.

Arizona currently has just six picks in the draft (it’s not expected to receive any compensatory selections). Most mock drafts, including the latest by Brugler, have the first wide receiver going off the board at either No. 11 or 12. The New York Jets, who own the No. 11 pick, desperately want an elite left tackle to protect quarterback Sam Darnold.

The Cardinals could trade down to No. 11, still have a choice of Lamb, Jerry Jeudy or Henry Ruggs III and add two picks, say second- and fifth-round selections.

Drake's price tag
... [C]hatter in Indianapolis was that the Cardinals are reluctant to pay Drake more than $5 million per year or give him a four-year deal. The market for Drake might have been set when the Los Angeles Chargers re-signed running back Austin Ekeler to a four-year deal worth $24.5 million, with $15 million guaranteed.

Also, reading into comments by Keim and Kingsbury, the Cardinals may believe they can get by with a motivated David Johnson, Chase Edmonds and a rookie mid-round selection.

Trent Williams
... It’s unlikely, however, that Arizona winds up with Williams.

Williams reportedly is seeking a new contract worth around $18 million per season. The Cardinals recently signed left tackle D.J. Humphries to a three-year, $45 million deal, and Keim said Humphries became one of the better left tackles in the game last season. It’s hard to imagine Arizona paying a tackle $12.5 million, Humphries’ salary in 2020, to play on the right side.

Also, trading their second-round pick, No. 40 overall, for a soon-to-be 32-year-old tackle who wants a monster deal makes little sense.

Lamb, Jeudy or Ruggs
... If the draft were being held today, Lamb likely would be the pick. He has two things going for him that Jeudy and Ruggs don’t: He’s already familiar with Kingsbury’s offense because Oklahoma ran a similar scheme, and former Sooners teammate Kyler Murray is on his side.

Pleasing your franchise quarterback — as long as the Cardinals have a similar grade for all three wideouts — isn’t a bad thing.

...dave

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would take a trade down to #11 while adding a 2nd and 5th all day long!! That is the dream scenario. We stay ahead of the Raiders, who are the most likely team to pick a WR, and we add a really valuable 2nd round pick.

I would be all for the trade, and all for taking Lamb at #11 if we added draft picks in the process. Only way I'm even thinking about it is if Young, Simmons, or Okudah are there at #8.

OP
OP
daves

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be all for the trade, and all for taking Lamb at #11 if we added draft picks in the process. Only way I'm even thinking about it is if Young, Simmons, or Okudah are there at #8.
I think you mean if those three are NOT there at #8? If so, i think i agree!

...dave

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think you mean if those three are NOT there at #8? If so, i think i agree!

...dave

I guess I meant the only way I'm even thinking about the trade at all, and not immediately agreeing to it....is if one of those three players were still on the board. If Young, Simmons, or Okudah were there, I would have to think long and hard on if trading back was worth giving up one of those guys. If those three are off the board, Im taking the trade back in a heartbeat and laughing all the way to the bank when we draft Lamb at #11 and pick up an extra 2nd.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I guess I meant the only way I'm even thinking about the trade at all, and not immediately agreeing to it....is if one of those three players were still on the board. If Young, Simmons, or Okudah were there, I would have to think long and hard on if trading back was worth giving up one of those guys. If those three are off the board, Im taking the trade back in a heartbeat and laughing all the way to the bank when we draft Lamb at #11 and pick up an extra 2nd.
Right. It would be totally stupid not to. Having two 2nd round picks would help us plug some holes with good talent. Hopefully PFF has two good 2nd round picks for us so SK has a cheat sheet lol.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm really not a Curtis Weaver fan. Overweight and poor opposition.

The Trent Williams thing. I keep seeing "it won't happen, they just signed DJ. It could easily happen, you just include DJ in the trade. His signing bonus was tiny so no future cap hit. His contract was built to be tradeable.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How about:

Cards trade Reddick for a pick, draft Simmons and use the extra For-Riddick pick on either a DB or OL

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'm really not a Curtis Weaver fan. Overweight and poor opposition.

The Trent Williams thing. I keep seeing "it won't happen, they just signed DJ. It could easily happen, you just include DJ in the trade. His signing bonus was tiny so no future cap hit. His contract was built to be tradeable.

Weaver got it done.

Has a nice blend of speed and power. I think he'll be a guy who isnt a star, but will be a second contract guy.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Boom, we have found Keim's 'how the hell did you draft this small school guy' and botch our round one draft... Ross Blacklock, just chill tubby lol

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, it really is if you want to use the term 'far from' in the state of Texas and that's a fact which is not even up for discussion... their undergraduate student body is a mere 9445 :)
Eh, they’re a D1 program in the Big 12 that has remained competitive for a long time now.

When I think of small school relating to football terms, I think of FCS/D2/D3 schools. Schools with inferior athletes compared to FBS/D1.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Eh, they’re a D1 program in the Big 12 that has remained competitive for a long time now.

When I think of small school relating to football terms, I think of FCS/D2/D3 schools. Schools with inferior athletes compared to FBS/D1.
Or Pittsburgh St which produced John Brown lol.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Blacklock at 40 would be a steal. He is exactly what we need on the interior. 1st round talent. Can overwhelm interior OL with ease. Buckner could turn him into a dominant player imo. I think he will get picked in the late 1st though. Probably ends up in our division.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Weaver in the 2nd seems too rich. Although you can't argue about his production and prowess rushing the passer. He might not be there in the early 3rd. As with Golden, maybe we trade down in the 2nd and pick Weaver. Although I expect a 1st round caliber player slipping to 40, so trading down might not be a good idea after all.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I really like Bradlee Anae as an edge rusher. He would be a solid pick at #40 IMO. Dominated at the Senior Bowl and has 3 years of solid productions for an edge guy.