Possible players available to trade for...

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
per KFFL.com, Brandon Albert, Rolondo McClain and Darren McFadden could be available in a trade.

Would you take a look at acquiring any of these guys, and if so, what sort of compensation would you be willing to give up for them?

In my mind, Brandon Albert is interesting for a 2nd round pick, but he will come with a large contract extension that could be cap restrictive going forward. Is he millions of dollars better than Joeckel, Fisher or Johnson? Are his "reported" back issues legit? I don't know, but I do know he would be a tremendous upgrade at LT over Levi Brown.

McClain and McFadden would both be upgrades, but again it comes down to compensation and cost. Both have their issues and so I wouldn't offer high picks for either, but I would strongly consider McFadden for a 4th rounder or lower and McClain for a 5th rounder or lower.

Consider McFadden has had injury concerns but is also a very dynamic back. I wonder if he would fit into Arians workload back mentality due to those durability issues, but is his potential for big plays worth that risk. IMO, any player who can limit the amount of plays it takes us to get down the field is worst a look. The real question is other than being fast, does he demonstrate the potential to be able to handle manage all aspects of the running back position. He is a player I have not watched extensively so I don't know if he could manage the blocking and receiving responsibilities of the running back position. He also has financial issues as far as what he would want long term in salary.

McClain is more risk which is why I wouldn't give up a ton for him and, again, you have to wonder what his contract demands would be in the future as he would play SILB which is not a position I think should be a high cap burden. That being said, he is a very good athlete, should be able to play all 3 downs and is still a very physical player. High risk, high reward type trade that I think is worth considering depending on the required draft pick compensation.

Thoughts?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
McFadden is ALWAYS hurt. Pass there.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Some stats to consider reagrding McFadden.

Has averaged 153 rushes per season over his 5 year career.

Has averaged 31 catches per season.

Has averaged 4.3 yard per carry over his career.

Has averaged 666 yards rushing per season.

Has averaged 956 yards from scrimmage per season.

Has averaged 4.6 TDs per season.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
With McFadden, obviously is a bigger name than his production, but he is only 25. Is he worth more or less than 3 mil per year in terms of salary?

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Albert a 2nd rounder. Mainly because of the huge contract.

Mclain a 6th rounder because he has been a bust up to this point and got into it with his coach and was demoted. I think he will be released if nobody trades for him.

McFadden- I can see a fourth because when he is on the field he is really good. He gets hurt every year so I would not go higher than a fourth rounder.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
doesnt McClain have some pretty serious off the field issues?

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Absolutely he does which is a big concern. However, I don't recall any issues in college though that can be swept under the rug in some ways.

The real questions for me are his desire to be a top football player and his ability to make changes regarding his off field behavior. Is he willing to make changes in his personal life ala Ray Lewis to keep himself out of bad situations? Does he understand that being a pro athlete makes him a target? Is football his top priority or is it living the rich, athlete lifestyle?

Big questions, but he is also a special athlete. How much risk is acceptable when considering the potential return?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You keep saying Rolando McClain is a "special athlete" but from everything I've ever read, one of the reasons he's been demoted is because he's a limited athlete, more of a plugger, 2-down ILB.

Combined with his off-the-field problems and his inability to get along with the coaching staff, Rolando McClain's star has fallen siginificantly.

The Raiders will likely cut him and at this point I don't know if he's even better than Jasper Brinkley.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
You keep saying Rolando McClain is a "special athlete" but from everything I've ever read, one of the reasons he's been demoted is because he's a limited athlete, more of a plugger, 2-down ILB.

Combined with his off-the-field problems and his inability to get along with the coaching staff, Rolando McClain's star has fallen siginificantly.

The Raiders will likely cut him and at this point I don't know if he's even better than Jasper Brinkley.
Let's not get carried away.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

6'3, 249lbs, 33' arm length and 9 3/8 hands.

4.68 40, w/ a 1.62 10 yard split
35 inch vert
24 reps at 225
9'1" broad jump
4.38 20 yard shuttle
7.16 3 cone drill

(per NFLdraftscout.com)

Compare that to top ILB in this draft, Alec Ogletree, who is considered a pretty athetic player

6'2, 242lbs

4.7 40
33.5 inch vert
20 reps at 225
10'2" broad jump
4.39 20 yard shuttle
7.16 3 cone drill

Now, drills in shorts don't determine the quality of an NFL player, but they do give you an idea of what level of athlete a player is. McClain was/is a pretty athletic guy.

Also a point of note. Raiders web site has McClain listed at 259 so maybe he has put on too much weight which has decreased his athletic abilty if true.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
6'3, 249lbs, 33' arm length and 9 3/8 hands.

4.68 40, w/ a 1.62 10 yard split
35 inch vert
24 reps at 225
9'1" broad jump
4.38 20 yard shuttle
7.16 3 cone drill

(per NFLdraftscout.com)

Compare that to top ILB in this draft, Alec Ogletree, who is considered a pretty athetic player

6'2, 242lbs

4.7 40
33.5 inch vert
20 reps at 225
10'2" broad jump
4.39 20 yard shuttle
7.16 3 cone drill

Now, drills in shorts don't determine the quality of an NFL player, but they do give you an idea of what level of athlete a player is. McClain was/is a pretty athletic guy.

Also a point of note. Raiders web site has McClain listed at 259 so maybe he has put on too much weight which has decreased his athletic abilty if true.

What combine drill shows that both these guys are a couple cards short of a full deck

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Things that come to mind -

- Trade for what? (players? picks)? You don't get these guys for nothing.

- The CW is that draft picks use up less cap space than FA's, so in case of ties, statistically or physically, we'd be better off not doing the trade.

- FA's aren't usually let go by their parent team because of their spotless resume. Buyer beware.

- Conversely, the FA is a bird in hand. You can't always guarantee that the draft pick you'd take instead will be there when you pick..

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So he is not worth acquiring for any amount of draft compensation?

If he was available on the free agent market, would you kick the tires?

only for super cheap. I've watched... or not watched him play A LOT the last couple years due to drafting him for one of my fantasy teams and living with a Raiders fan.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
per KFFL.com, Brandon Albert, Rolondo McClain and Darren McFadden could be available in a trade.

Would you take a look at acquiring any of these guys, and if so, what sort of compensation would you be willing to give up for them?

In my mind, Brandon Albert is interesting for a 2nd round pick, but he will come with a large contract extension that could be cap restrictive going forward. Is he millions of dollars better than Joeckel, Fisher or Johnson? Are his "reported" back issues legit? I don't know, but I do know he would be a tremendous upgrade at LT over Levi Brown.

McClain and McFadden would both be upgrades, but again it comes down to compensation and cost. Both have their issues and so I wouldn't offer high picks for either, but I would strongly consider McFadden for a 4th rounder or lower and McClain for a 5th rounder or lower.

Consider McFadden has had injury concerns but is also a very dynamic back. I wonder if he would fit into Arians workload back mentality due to those durability issues, but is his potential for big plays worth that risk. IMO, any player who can limit the amount of plays it takes us to get down the field is worst a look. The real question is other than being fast, does he demonstrate the potential to be able to handle manage all aspects of the running back position. He is a player I have not watched extensively so I don't know if he could manage the blocking and receiving responsibilities of the running back position. He also has financial issues as far as what he would want long term in salary.

McClain is more risk which is why I wouldn't give up a ton for him and, again, you have to wonder what his contract demands would be in the future as he would play SILB which is not a position I think should be a high cap burden. That being said, he is a very good athlete, should be able to play all 3 downs and is still a very physical player. High risk, high reward type trade that I think is worth considering depending on the required draft pick compensation.

Thoughts?

I watched McFadden his entire career and nearly all his games. If he has no health issues I would really like to have him. He has both power and break away speed. Inside or outside. He killed LSU when they were the best team in the nation almost by himself. We have no one on our team who has his speed and size to go with it. Hopefully, he could go a full season and stay healthy. I do not know what his value is in terms of trades but if healthy he is not just potential he is the real deal.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
So he is not worth acquiring for any amount of draft compensation?

If he was available on the free agent market, would you kick the tires?

Garrison Hearst was always hurt until he left our team and then he played at a very high level for 10 or so years. If the price is right McFadden is worth taking a flyer on. He is not old and like Hearst could recover. He was a first round selection.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Some stats to consider reagrding McFadden.

Has averaged 153 rushes per season over his 5 year career.

Has averaged 31 catches per season.

Has averaged 4.3 yard per carry over his career.

Has averaged 666 yards rushing per season.

Has averaged 956 yards from scrimmage per season.

Has averaged 4.6 TDs per season.

Not bad for a guy who is hurt all the time. Probably hurt less than Beenie and half again faster.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

You are right on. That's the tough part of evaluating vets agility and speed. Who knows how the years of wear & tear on and off the field impacts their measurables. The film and their productivity is key.

Sam Wise

Big, Dumb, Stupid Looking
Reaction score

Not advocating we sign him, but this was the reason we have Rob Housler instead of Justin Houston. Oh yea he only made it to the pro bowl his second year and has been incident free since being in the NFL...... stupid Cardinals.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well now that he has been cut it wouldn't require a trade just an appetite for risk.