Playoffs: Suns @ Nuggets Saturday game thread 4-29-2023- Game 1

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we're too far removed from the inner circle to really know whether the rumored clashes with Ayton, CP3 and Crowder are on Monty or if they fall more to the player.

I know Monty is headstrong, I know CP3 is headstrong, I suspect Jae is headstrong and I'm pretty sure Ayton is a little overly sensitive. What happened, who caused it, we don't know. However, I am disappointed that Monty appeared to have done nothing to try to resolve his conflict with DA or Jae.

I agree, we don't know the personalities involved well enough to really judge. I believe Monty is a smart guy and handled his tiff with Ayton in a way he felt was right. Who knows what the issues really were as well. I find it odd to call Monty immature though as if anything he's been a bit too mature and old school in how he handles things, at least from an outside perspective.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Back to the series, ESPN "experts" Pick the Suns 12-4.

Kendra Andrews: Suns in 6

Jerry Bembry: Nuggets in 7

Nick DePaula: Suns in 6

Nick Friedell: Suns in 6

Kirk Goldsberry: Suns in 7

Israel Gutierrez: Suns in 6

Tim Legler: Suns in 6

Tim MacMahon: Suns in 6

Bobby Marks: Nuggets in 7

Dave McMenamin: Suns in 6

Kevin Pelton: Suns in 6

Jorge Sedano: Suns in 7

Ramona Shelburne: Nuggets in 7

André Snellings: Suns in 6

Marc Spears: Suns in 7

Ohm Youngmisuk: Nuggets in 7

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Tier 3 coaches are good coaches in my book. I should have included a key.

Teir one coaches are the coaches you hate going against because of their basketball IQ winners so it's a very small club. (Kerr, Lue, Pop) Monty is not even close to this, sorry.
Tier 2 is small reserved for ring winners and up and coming coaches, the can have trouble dealing with super stars but often have enough experience (Monty fits here for up and coming teams. But I would say Spolstra (sp?) is a great example.
Tier 3 is wider and made up of good coaches but also tend to fit a role and struggle with super stars but are usually great for development, win coach of the year awards. Monty fits here with dealing with mega super stars and how to use them. Mike Brown fits here too.
Tier 4 The next level down kind of the retreads that move around.
Tier 5 coaches that poverty franchises hire, no experience, low salary, trying to break into the carousel.

Read, I am not saying Monty is a bad coach, but I do have questions if he can handle Mutiple super stars, I am not along btw, this is something even Monty has admitted he is struggling with. He called KD the most expensive decoy.

This Suns team is going to look a lot different next year. They know their holes, if you are going to beat them beat them this year, next year this team will be built around Booker and KD. Monty does need to prove he can handle two super stars (one who is arguably the greatest pure scorer in NBA history, sitting as a decoy, you think Lue would do that?), which isn't easy not many people can do it.

Monty's infatuation with Shamet, his immaturity dealing with Ayton and his giving up on Smith so early also shows a stubbornness and favoritism to non-performers.

Let's see if Monty adjusts, KD should be shredding this Denver team, he should crush that high pick and role. Move away from CP3 and Ayton and make it KD and Ayton, that is un guardable. If he makes those adjustments, I will be willing to move him up.
I agree with you on a lot of your game match ups and all but the only thing I agree with you as far as Monty goes is the playing time Shamet gets. All good though - just hoping we get past the Nuggets

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Not only that but I don't remember Monty "giving up" on Jalen Smith, I do however remember Jones trading Jalen Smith for Torrey Craig. And tbh the only 5 tier system I think ever heard of was in some time share pitch I once heard when I was in Vegas lol but I got free show tickets for listening

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
He averaged what? 9 points this season? And isn't Monty basically just saying he couldn't find Jalen minutes because we had better players? Sorry but Jalen Smith is and was overrated. Flashy but disappears at times. It's why we had to also give up a pick to get Torrey Craig. We all liked the kid, and I think that's what Monty is essentially saying, not that he robbed or deprived Jalen

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
He averaged what? 9 points this season? And isn't Monty basically just saying he couldn't find Jalen minutes because we had better players? Sorry but Jalen Smith is and was overrated. Flashy but disappears at times. It's why we had to also give up a pick to get Torrey Craig. We all liked the kid, and I think that's what Monty is essentially saying, not that he robbed or deprived Jalen
I am not disagreeing with that, so I am not sure what the argument is, someone said they never heard of Monty giving up on Jalen and I gave proof that he admitted he did not give him a fair shake, in Monty speak that's I didn't give him a chance and since Monty and James work together they decided to not pick up his 4th year, which resulted in trading him for Criag.

Now do I think Jones is good? I don't know, he has some really bad moves and a few really good ones, but I have to look at that under the Sarver Lense, he was super hands on and bad at talent evaluation. I want to see how they revamp this team in the offseason, clearly the Suns are going to be way better next year if you construct the roster correctly.

If I see KD as a weak side decoy in the Nuggets series, I do believe that is a coaching crime, especially since Denver's main weakness is pick and role defense. But Monty is super loyal to CP3 so they run CP3 to DA and plant Kevin Durant in the corner. Yes I understand it creates gravity but no great scorer, Jordan or Kobe would never be planted in the corner. That's not how you use that asset. Let's see if it changes, if it does I will feel better about Williams long term with two and possibly three super stars next year.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
I agree with you on a lot of your game match ups and all but the only thing I agree with you as far as Monty goes is the playing time Shamet gets. All good though - just hoping we get past the Nuggets
Cool, I am kind of neutral, Monty's next evolution is being able to handle super stars. Booker next year, the dude may average 30, KD 30 and I expect they will move CP3 and grab another star. Then reconstruct the roster with more two-way players and better 3'd shooters. If he can adjust up then I think he is the right guy, if he doesn't then he still gets next year for sure. Bottomline, Monty is a good coach, great team builder, but my guess is they play it out in 23-24.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ninnies!
We are 5 games away from being able to send the Lakers home too.
Opposite of our last run when it was Lakers Denver Clippers. It's destiny.

I'm not really ^ THAT confident.
This Denver team is not the same team we swept, but they will remember it.
Need to jump on them fast and not let up. Focus on rebounds for 2nd chance points and hope Monte doesn't forget we have a bench, such as it is.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ninnies!
We are 5 games away from being able to send the Lakers home too.
Opposite of our last run when it was Lakers Denver Clippers. It's destiny.

I'm not really ^ THAT confident.
This Denver team is not the same team we swept, but they will remember it.
Need to jump on them fast and not let up. Focus on rebounds for 2nd chance points and hope Monte doesn't forget we have a bench, such as it is.
Yeah… we gotta put doubt into this team’s head FAST.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kevin Durant taking time to please fans. Great to see he does this.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike Malone says you have to be physical guarding Kevin Durant.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of the Suns bench, they are last in NBA playoff bench production.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Ayton legacy time. You want to be more than just a #3 or 4 big fella? This is the series you need to show up in. Run up and down that floor big fella!!!

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Weather the initial storm, keep it close. Don't worry about a few missed shots. If this is close after Q1 Denver is in trouble.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like for the Suns to steal game 1 or 2 in Denver. Getting game 1 would be sweet.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin drives to the basket and gets two on goaltending.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Timeout with the game tied at 13.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Good start, sorry Card fans KD is not in your corner Kingsbury spread.
"You spread the offense and make Hopkins a decoy for Isabella!" Kliff Kingsbury Cardinals head coach on the payroll through 2027.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard