Peacock becomes home of first-ever exclusive live streamed NFL playoff game

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought this a couple years ago when the streaming stuff was relatively new. Now, with the prices rising for these subscriptions and the sheer amount of subscriptions needed.... Cable may benefit. Then again, I am one of those who still has Cox and will forever.
If it makes financial sense for me to return to cable I will. The house is still wired.

But, I had it with Cox, cut the cord, and never looked back. I spend a little over $100 on three streaming services, others, like Netflix and Amazon, we have for free because my wife does Amazon Prime. If we didn't have the Polish Channels package, it would be a little over $70. Sling offered a free antenna, and I get local channels just fine.

A few months ago I dropped Cox Wifi and changed to T-Mobile. Everybody was saying it will suck, but it hasn't sucked. It is better so far. There hasn't been a single time I have had to reboot the router or watch buffering on the TV screen. Which were regular events with Cox.

That said, I am not subscribing to Peacock for an NFL playoff game. If it involves the Cardinals, I will sign up for the free trial, watch it, and cancel it.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
In the prem, Fulham, Since the McBride/Dempsey days. Dortmund is my club, but for the most part I like following the Americans in Europe. Leeds was fun to watch for a little bit this year until Adams went down for the year.
Mad respect for the reasoning behind your Fulham support. Makes perfect sense. I had already started liking Newcastle playing FIFA '98, so my affiliation was set.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meh I find soccer across the board boring. You could start most games, take a two hour nap, wake up and ask your buddy what happened and he'd say they kicked the ball back and forth with three almost goals, and you'd miss nothing.

I love seeing the passion guys have in the world cup. To me it is Olympic style national pride

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I love seeing the passion guys have in the world cup. To me it is Olympic style national pride
For me, I think I'm really disconnected from it since the US team isn't filled with the "best of the best" because our other sports siphon so much athletic talent. Imagine what Michael Jordan or Barry Sanders could have done if they had devoted themselves to soccer...

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me, I think I'm really disconnected from it since the US team isn't filled with the "best of the best" because our other sports siphon so much athletic talent. Imagine what Michael Jordan or Barry Sanders could have done if they had devoted themselves to soccer...

We have the ladies. They are definitely the best of the best and it shows.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
We have the ladies. They are definitely the best of the best and it shows.

That dynamic is shifting and fast.

The American development system will eventually work against them as more European women come up through their academies and into their professional teams

Things are going to get incredibly competitive

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Strange.

This article says that this year's Wild Card playoff game to be streamed exclusively on Peacock (except in Miami and KC) will be the first ever.

My first thought was, "Didn't this already happen last year?"

Fans irate about Chiefs-Dolphins NFL playoff game being only on NBC’s Peacock

Reactions: PJ1

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Strange.

This article says that this year's Wild Card playoff game to be streamed exclusively on Peacock (except in Miami and KC) will be the first ever.

My first thought was, "Didn't this already happen last year?"

Fans irate about Chiefs-Dolphins NFL playoff game being only on NBC’s Peacock​

I don't think so. I watched that game and I didn't have Peacock but I don't recall where I watched it. My brother's favorite team is the Dolphins so we were glued to the outcome of that game. I was ribbing him the entire time.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't blame people. It's not just it being $5. It's $5 dollars on top of all the other streaming services charging you.
Then don't watch the game.

It is all about money. NBC pays big bucks for the NFL Contract. Which flows to the players and owners. They have make their money back somehow.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then don't watch the game.

It is all about money. NBC pays big bucks for the NFL Contract. Which flows to the players and owners. They have make their money back somehow.
This is exactly why they do this crap and why streaming services are nickel and diming. This is why sports does the black out B.S. I will pay it but I empathize with people who are tired of it.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is exactly why they do this crap and why streaming services are nickel and diming. This is why sports does the black out B.S.
People cut cords, thinking they can save money by picking and choosing streaming services, then complain when other streaming services pop up for each entity.

There is no free lunch.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
People cut cords, thinking they can save money by picking and choosing streaming services, then complain when other streaming services pop up for each entity.

There is no free lunch.
That's because when cutting the cord started that is exactly what was happening. People saving money. Two things. Providers caught on. Also, what drove them to that? The forced bundling of services that make you pay over the top packages for stuff you don't watch. Duh...it's not free....unless you want to use OTA. Consumers are also robbed of choice and overpaying for stuff they don't watch. True A la carte programing will likely never be a thing but it should be.

tennis-player

Veteran
Reaction score
Since Direct TV dropped Sunday Ticket, I had to subscribe to YouTube TV to watch all the games. It is a lot more expensive and not as easy to use. Also, it is a hassle to switch back and forth from games on CBS to YouTube games. I doubt if I do YouTube Sunday Ticket next season.

Direct TV and NBC are in a contract dispute, so I subscribed to Peacock to get NBC games. It is inexpensive, and cable and satellite TV are being replaced by streaming in all entertainment areas, so we need to get used to it. I will just drop Peacock when the season is over.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Peacock has a 7 day free trail, just be sure to cancel. I did that on Fubo for ASU vs CO.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's because when cutting the cord started that is exactly what was happening. People saving money. Two things. Providers caught on. Also, what drove them to that? The forced bundling of services that make you pay over the top packages for stuff you don't watch. Duh...it's not free....unless you want to use OTA. Consumers are also robbed of choice and overpaying for stuff they don't watch. True A la carte programing will likely never be a thing but it should be.
And this is the result - a la carte programming.

Don't want to watch the game? Don't pay.

Want to watch the game? Pay.

If it was bundled, and on say, ESPN, you would be paying for it whether you watched it or not.

ESPN isn't free, you are paying for that monthly on your bundled service - and far more than $5 a month.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And this is the result - a la carte programming.

Don't want to watch the game? Don't pay.

Want to watch the game? Pay.

If it was bundled, and on say, ESPN, you would be paying for it whether you watched it or not.

ESPN isn't free, you are paying for that monthly on your bundled service - and far more than $5 a month.
There is no such thing as a la carte programming. That's what people were hoping streaming would become but providers intercepted that. Streaming is not only become a bundle of stuff you don't want, just like Satellite/Cable, but now worse because each network wants their own. Cable is a bundle. Satellite is a bundle. The point seems to be flying over your head. It's not a matter of wanting or not wanting. It's lack of consumer choice. Why do you think OTA has made a comeback? Why do you think people have turned to piracy? Unfortunately, networks are punishing those OTA watchers by making things "exclusive" and continuing to rob consumers of choice.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

There is no free lunch.
People have to pay for umpteen streaming services and cable, only use little bits of each, but if they don't, then they would miss parts of what they desire to watch. It's a sucker's system that benefits only fat cat execs.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People have to pay for umpteen streaming services and cable, only use little bits of each, but if they don't, then they would miss parts of what they desire to watch. It's a sucker's system that benefits only fat cat execs.
So just like Cable or DirecTv

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose