Peacock becomes home of first-ever exclusive live streamed NFL playoff game

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Dudes...they gotta do something about those commercial breaks...play previews of their streaming shows or something...that musical interlude is just terrible. I turned a game off just because of that. Just couldn't bear it any longer

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i think the NFL needs to a careful here

set aside Dolphin or Chief fans

i dont think the NFL wants to demonstrate to too many casual NFL fans that not seeing an NFL playoff game is no big deal

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
i think the NFL needs to a careful here

set aside Dolphin or Chief fans

i dont think the NFL wants to demonstrate to too many casual NFL fans that not seeing an NFL playoff game is no big deal
Yup. Way back in the day we got a couple games on TV...but the box scores in the Monday morning paper was usually where we learned how well our favorite team/players did.
We didn't feel cheated or left out. Just looked forward to getting that paper.
Online updates are same day.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
As a Seahawks fan in NY, I'd typically have to wait until Tuesday and hope for a box, that may be there. Recaps were limited.

Their games were simply "late" in the Monday paper most of the time......

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Yup. Way back in the day we got a couple games on TV...but the box scores in the Monday morning paper was usually where we learned how well our favorite team/players did.
We didn't feel cheated or left out. Just looked forward to getting that paper.
Online updates are same day.
When I realized the internet allowed me to print articles about the Cards from the Republic and EVT back in 96 at college, I was in my glory. I used to only get a snippet from PFW Whispers and The Way We Hear It. The $ I cost the college in printer ink and paper probably came close to equal to my tuition. lol

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
When I realized the internet allowed me to print articles about the Cards from the Republic and EVT back in 96 at college, I was in my glory. I used to only get a snippet from PFW Whispers and The Way We Hear It. The $ I cost the college in printer ink and paper probably came close to equal to my tuition. lol
PFW was the absolute tops... The way we hear it was the most accurate rumor source ever.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
When I was a kid, my brother and I used to get Football Digest weekly and would spend hours reading it each week.
Digest was decent too... But I used to ride my bike about 8 miles across town to get Pro Football Weekly (both ways uphill in the snow of course) ... I could get it at the corner store but the owner had to remember to order it..Playboy and the comics came automatically.
Back then I used to start my draft research by reviewing each teams last two drafts to see what they had in the development pipeline. Getting good info on college players was tough...small town California only got Pac10 games and bowl games...so the PFW draft edition with combine results was gold

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Digest was decent too... But I used to ride my bike about 8 miles across town to get Pro Football Weekly (both ways uphill in the snow of course) ... I could get it at the corner store but the owner had to remember to order it..Playboy and the comics came automatically.
Back then I used to start my draft research by reviewing each teams last two drafts to see what they had in the development pipeline. Getting good info on college players was tough...small town California only got Pac10 games and bowl games...so the PFW draft edition with combine results was gold
I started picking that up I think in high school. That was a great periodical.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
I miss Joel Buschbaum. His draft preview book was must-have.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I miss Joel Buschbaum. His draft preview book was must-have.
He was excellent. He was virtually a recluse during the season. He hardly ever did interviews. He did 1 televised all star game and hated it. He was a nice guy once his book was finished. He was happy to answer questions.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I started picking that up I think in high school. That was a great periodical.
I actually wrote a little for Brian Delucia when he published the online version of NFL Digest. He gave it up and ran the Fox Sports football website foe awhile. I’ve lost track of him in recent years.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, this isn't going away.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There were howls from everywhere when the NFL started broadcasting game only on ESPN (which costs you a heck of a lot more than $5/month).

There were howls when games went to Amazon streaming. And NFL Network.

For all the talk of "boycott", 23 million watched.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And millions of us canceled the ‘**** 5 minutes after the game ended, making it effectively a $6 PPV game. While the NFL and NBC may consider this whole fiasco a “W”, it surely wasn’t for fans.
NBC/Peacock paid $110 Million.

23 million times $6 covers that - plus all the people that won't remember to cancel.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
maybe not..if 10mil were already subscribed.
Good point - will also depend on how many stay subscribed beyond the one month.

Plus, good or bad, many, many people have now heard about Peacock and have an account. Next time there is something they want to see on Peacock, it will be there.

Don't forget, NBC has the upcoming Summer Olympics, and there will be non-stop coverage on Peacock. Much easier to get people to re-subscribe now that they know the drill.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Good point - will also depend on how many stay subscribed beyond the one month.

Plus, good or bad, many, many people have now heard about Peacock and have an account. Next time there is something they want to see on Peacock, it will be there.

Don't forget, NBC has the upcoming Summer Olympics, and there will be non-stop coverage on Peacock. Much easier to get people to re-subscribe now that they know the drill.
Good thing I jumped on the 20 bucks for one year offer. It’ll cover the summer:)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard