Patrick Peterson

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
He's thinking, not reacting, Which is not his strong suit.
He'll be just fine by mid season.
And good for a long time.

No INTs yet this pre season, but the coverage is better. It is not the all in High risk high reward we seen under Clancy and Davis.

turnovers as a result of solid defense, not in place of it! Woo Hoo!

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he's not the best athlete on the team, he's pretty darn close. As in any sport, CONFIDENCE is what allows a good player to become a great player & a great player to become a freak. With this crazy offseason, this kid is lacking confidence to get to where he should be. It may take half the season, but he'll get there. I saw too much of this kid at LSU to not believe that he'll be special.

Exactly, to me the one thing you don't worry about with Peterson is his athletic ability. It's the learning part you worry about and with no OTA's and an abbreviated camp it's no surprise to me he's behind a bit in that area.

Peterson is a GREAT athlete, that he hasn't done it yet in a Cards uniform doesn't concern me, I've seen enough of him in college to know he has the athletic ability it takes.

Bobcat

Reaction score
Me either. I'm not concerned because he's making rookie mistakes by covering the wrong guy or taking the wrong angle but that he doesn't really look like anything special as an athlete.

Maybe the coaches are hiding him like McGinnis did Anquan. :D

God I hope so...!!!

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
I heard that PP got scored on by Jennings and finally got to see the DVR last night and he had basically perfect coverage on jennings. Those back shoulder passes are almost impossible to defend when thrown properly, like ARodge did to a tee (prob took some pointers from Kurt in their playoff shootout). He will get it together, I'm not too worried. As it has been said, he still has a lot of playbook to digest and is thinking too much. That'll come with time, he looked very fluid and was step for step with Jennings on that play.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
That was a sick throw. Boldin used to get those for us all the time. I seem to recall Fitz breaking a couple long TDs off of those throws too. You can't fault Peterson for that legendary throw by Rodgers. Geez, that was sick. Preseason?

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Wasn't PP7 one of the dumbest players in his draft class? Maybe that's stopping him from being a elite NFL CB.
:mulli:
PP scored a 9 on his wonderlic test. Anything below 10 is considered illiterate. Vince Young scored a whopping 6 at one point. Average score is typically around 20-25.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Hasn't even been three weeks since he has been an NFL player.

I have been very impressed with this kid so far. Mentally he is an upgrade over DRC, IMO.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don't know what you guys want him to be doing. This is just silly talk right now. What I've seen is a guy playing pretty dang good coverage, but is just learning the speed of the pro game. I think he is being brought along perfectly. They are not overwhelming him. If horton or whiz thought he was too slow or unathletic or even lost would they have him returning kicks and punts? You guys are grasping at straws right now.

We CLEARLY aren't seeing the same things then. He has been unimpressive so far. Yes, it is early and yes that is an ok excuse for a rookie.

He hasn't been very good at all. Not sure how you could say he's been 'pretty dang good.'

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Well someone hacked your account and posted this then:

"I have yet to see anything from him to indicate he is an elite athlete on the football field. He just looks like a Rod Hood or Bryant McFadden so far to me."

I don't know how else that can be determined but to say so far he looks no more athletic than Hood or McFadden.

But that's not what you said:
I'm saying if you think he's as athletic as McFadden

You were putting words in my mouth.

You keep writing in that vein. Nobody said PP21 isn't athletic. Only that he hasn't shown elite athleticism on the field so far. I don't understand why you can't make that distinction.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But that's not what you said:

You were putting words in my mouth.

You keep writing in that vein. Nobody said PP21 isn't athletic. Only that he hasn't shown elite athleticism on the field so far. I don't understand why you can't make that distinction.

Then why did you respond to my post about his combine performance by saying that was without pads?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The reason some might say "Toler looked better than PP21 as a rookie" was because we had an entire season to evaluate him. Patrick's been practicing with us for what - 3 maybe 4 weeks? Period?

Not only has PP21 lacked the reps and technique-development; he also has a very small body of work as a Cardinal that could normally used to evaluate him.

Also, different strokes, guys. A (very) few youngsters perform like veterans on Day One. Others take part of a season to develop. Still others don't hit their stride until Year 2. Some live on their reputations and never reach their potential. You just have to let things unfold.

One positive thing I noticed - Peterson shows zero, zilch, zowie awkwardness or discomfort returning punts. (He looks like he can field them in his sleep).

That's a good sign. Logically, a guy with that much athletic talent will learn how to better diagnose offensive plays, defend against the back-shoulder fade etc. (& let's not forget that he was put out on an island vs. the best - Rodgers throwing and Jennings catching).

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Then why did you respond to my post about his combine performance by saying that was without pads?

Because it was and pads do make a difference. Why do you think the speed guys wear light shoulder pads and some play without knee pads?

There have been many guys who ran fast and jumped high at the combine but couldn't carry that athleticism on to the football field.

So PP21 running fast and jumping high at the combine doesn't make it unreasonable to wonder why PP21 hasn't looked more athletic on the football field.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because it was and pads do make a difference. Why do you think the speed guys wear light shoulder pads and some play without knee pads?

There have been many guys who ran fast and jumped high at the combine but couldn't carry that athleticism on to the football field.

So PP21 running fast and jumping high at the combine doesn't make it unreasonable to wonder why PP21 hasn't looked more athletic on the football field.

See that makes no sense you just got through saying nobody has questioned Peterson's athleticism and then you say, " There have been many guys who ran fast and jumped high at the combine but couldn't carry that athleticism on to the football field. "

And you wonder why I'm missing the distinction in your comments, because there is none. You just said it again, many people don't carry that athleticism onto the football field which means you are implying Peterson is one of those many people. If you're not questioning his athletic ability then what ARE you doing?

I won't argue great athletes don't always become great football players, I read about Heyward-Bey everyday in my local paper for example, but you didn't say player you said athleticism.

I don't recall a lot of guys being the best athlete at the combine but failing to be athletic on the football field. there are guys who look better at the combine than they turn out to be, workout warriors, but most of those guys were not great players in college either, Peterson was. I don't think he's a steroid guy and I know he's not a ran on a fast track and did speed training to fool people guy(Antrell Rolle) because he did it at the combine and he did weighing about 15 pounds more than any other CB there.

his problem is not athletic ability, it's he's a rookie with no OTAs and an abbreviated camp.

Last edited:

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I know it's early, but color me un-impressed so far. Both the Raiders and Packers have completed just about every pass thrown to his man. He just lays off and lets his man catch the ball in front of him.

He hasn't come close to making a big play. I thought he was supposed to be the most exciting player in the draft?

Hopefully he will work out. I have always thought that a DB was one of the most difficult to assess when drafting. We have struck out at that position with high draft picks as much as at any position. You often see guys from small schools make it in the pros at DB. Guys you have never heard of. The performance of a DB in college has a lot to do with the team he is playing for. You can look at a QBs arm strength, percent of completions, interceptions, etc but with a DB it is largely watching him on film and how high he can jump and fast he can run. Occasionally there will be a Deion Sander come along who clerarly is a lock to make it. Only occasionally.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
So are we to believe PP ran the 2nd fastest 40 time at the combine, had the 3rd best vert among CB's, but he's lost all that athleticism since we drafted him?

These guys aren't in shape yet because of the lockout and because of limited practice time.

And yes watch the Punt return last week the acceleration was obvious.

You are spot on Russ-----I was ecstatic when he put that burst on, (back to the right and upfield). I hollered at my son to look, he had his nose in his laptop at the time. I haven't seen a burst like that from a Cardinal player in a long, long time.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
And you wonder why I'm missing the distinction in your comments, because there is none. You just said it again, many people don't carry that athleticism onto the football field which means you are implying Peterson is one of those many people. If you're not questioning his athletic ability then what ARE you doing?

So you admit you are putting words in my mouth.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

One positive thing I noticed - Peterson shows zero, zilch, zowie awkwardness or discomfort returning punts. (He looks like he can field them in his sleep).

I mentioned it on another thread but I do not recall any response. I think Peterson could make the transition to WR much like Breaston. Except Peterson has the potential to be much better. I know it is not going to happen now with the Cardinals need in the secondary but it might be something the Cardinals look for down the road as a top WR that can get deep.

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
Hey it took half the season last year for Devin Mcourty and Hayden to get the hang of it.

I am not going to panic unless Peterson gets lit up by Cam Newton in week one:D

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you admit you are putting words in my mouth.

I'm cutting and pasting things you posted and yet you are insisting you're not questioning his athletic ability.

It makes no sense, if your point is many great athletes are not great players I agree, but you specifically said athleticism didn't carry on to the field, not performance, athleticism.

If you're not suggesting Peterson might be one of those guys then why bring it up twice now in a thread about him?

I can't read your mind I can only read what you actually write.

Last edited:

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I think he looks like a rookie who didn't get to have any OTA's and has had like 8 professional practices.

He finished his season at LSU, then didn't play real football for almost 6 months, now he's going against the best in the world.

Like PA said, he has 0 confidence right now, his head is spinning every wich way on every play.

I disagree on seeing nothing though, I've seen him be very athletic on a couple of occasions and up at camp he's made several freakish plays.

I can see your initial point, BUT the piling on in this thread is making a mountain over a very small sample size in preseason.

Reps = Confidence and once that happens he will quit worrying/thinking and start using his natural abilities. Just IMHO

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I mentioned it on another thread but I do not recall any response. I think Peterson could make the transition to WR much like Breaston. Except Peterson has the potential to be much better. I know it is not going to happen now with the Cardinals need in the secondary but it might be something the Cardinals look for down the road as a top WR that can get deep.

I almost convinced at some point in this season Wiz will put him on O at WR

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It's freaking obvious.

Peterson is thinking too much. As I mentioned elsewhere in this thread, DRC looked worse than Peterson does right now at the same points in their career.

Give him time; that punt return in the first game showed just how athletic he is. IMO that was most athletic, explosive play I've seen from a Cardinals player this preseason besides Fitz's ridiculous catch against the Packers.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
It's freaking obvious.

Peterson is thinking too much. As I mentioned elsewhere in this thread, DRC looked worse than Peterson does right now at the same points in their career.

Give him time; that punt return in the first game showed just how athletic he is. IMO that was most athletic, explosive play I've seen from a Cardinals player this preseason besides Fitz's ridiculous catch against the Packers.
Based on his Wonderlic scores, he's not the smartest, so I would have to agree with you, he's trying to think too much and not make mistakes. At the same time, missing OTA's and countless film sessions, theres a steep learning curve and it takes a while to adjust. He has all the athletic ability in the world, and you dont have to be smart to play football, so I think he'll excel halfway through the season.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The attached article is about Schofield but it relates to what several have posted. PP21 is thinking which takes away some of his athleticism.

I don't agree with Bert about the lack of confidence. ADub has stated that the kid has an incredible amount of confidence. Now maybe that was then and this is now and he might not be as confident but to me it's the thinking bit.

http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and...Improves/015b17f1-ed3c-42cc-bca7-9c1bf9cff306

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Based on his Wonderlic scores, he's not the smartest, so I would have to agree with you, he's trying to think too much and not make mistakes. At the same time, missing OTA's and countless film sessions, theres a steep learning curve and it takes a while to adjust. He has all the athletic ability in the world, and you dont have to be smart to play football, so I think he'll excel halfway through the season.

Based on those scores thinking can only hurt him.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort