Patrick Peterson

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
This is what's bothering me about the guy. So far..there's no "there" there.

Does not have elite recovery speed and will not always close the gap when the ball is in the air.

After reading this I'll temper my expectations of PP21 some. As that was one of the things I was expecting to see and hadn't.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Combine #'s mean nothing once guys put on the pads and start moving on a football field.

I have yet to see anything from him to indicate he is an elite athlete on the football field. He just looks like a Rod Hood or Bryant McFadden so far to me.

Come on PP21 lets see some of that magic that had people calling you the #1 player in the draft. It doesn't have to be every play just a glimmer man.

Exactly how heavy do you think his pads and uniform are? He was one of the best athletes in the country playing in the best conference in college football.

He hasn't really been put in a situation yet to show his athleticism. He's MUCH more athletic than those 2.

Look it's the Cards we know the first chance we're going to get to see how fast he is will be chasing down some RB who's on a 85 yard run against us, that's just the way it is with us.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just waiting to see him do something like this:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010122500/2010/REG16/cowboys@cardinals/analyze/box-score#tab:watch

Now that's an athletic move.

Well I'm guessing the first time the WR falls down leading to the ball coming right to PP we'll know if he's athletic enough to catch it.

Look DRC made some great plays and he had great coverage there but if Miles Austin didn't fall down it's not a Pick six, even Deion said so and he trains DRC.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Well I'm guessing the first time the WR falls down leading to the ball coming right to PP we'll know if he's athletic enough to catch it.

Look DRC made some great plays and he had great coverage there but if Miles Austin didn't fall down it's not a Pick six, even Deion said so and he trains DRC.

You are reaching here.

What happened before the pick is irrelevant. And the ball was not coming right to DRC. He reaches back to his left and catches the ball and does a 360 over the receiver and sprints into the end zone. That's not exactly something any run of the mill human could do.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don't forget that Toler had an entire off-season of OTA's and mini-camps that PP21 was not fortunate enough to have due to the lockout. Give the kid a little slack until he shows that he cannot play at this speed. I think you will be surprised when he catches on. Besides, even if he doesn't catch on at CB, we have a huge need at SS, which is exactly where many projected him to play anyway once he reached the pros.

I am giving him all the slack he needs. I stated it's early but I haven't seen anything impressive from him yet on D. Nothing more than that.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Exactly how heavy do you think his pads and uniform are? He was one of the best athletes in the country playing in the best conference in college football.

He hasn't really been put in a situation yet to show his athleticism. He's MUCH more athletic than those 2.

Look it's the Cards we know the first chance we're going to get to see how fast he is will be chasing down some RB who's on a 85 yard run against us, that's just the way it is with us.

I guess you never played tackle football or you wouldn't ask that question about pads.

PP21 hasn't put himself in a position to show his athleticism and that is one of the things myself and others are concerned about. He doesn't look like anything special.

I was expecting PP to be quicker and have better closing speed. Now I have since read that the latter is not considered one of Peterson's strengths so I'm going to watch for some other things next Saturday.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Peterson and glad that he got beat by Jennings (an all pro receiver).
IMO it is an excellent learning experience for him. CB is one of the hardest positions for a rookie to learn. He was so good in college that I think he felt it would be easy in the pros and is seeing that there is quite a difference.
He will be fine as he is committed.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are reaching here.

What happened before the pick is irrelevant. And the ball was not coming right to DRC. He reaches back to his left and catches the ball and does a 360 over the receiver and sprints into the end zone. That's not exactly something any run of the mill human could do.

The guy fell down that's why that play happened. I'd link you a highlight clip from youtube of athletic plays by Peterson in college but apparently you think everyone in college was wearing lead boots when they played LSU because if he hasn't done it yet as a Card, he's not athletic. What the heck here's one anyways, look at the pick against Miss St(they show it several times) and tell me it's not athletic to sky to tip the ball, then have the ability to catch it, gather himself and return it nearly 50 yards. Watch the punt return against WVU they look like they're running in mud compared to him. The one against UNC is obscene there's 4-5 guys who had the angle and didn't get him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4yh4081vYM

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess you never played tackle football or you wouldn't ask that question about pads.

PP21 hasn't put himself in a position to show his athleticism and that is one of the things myself and others are concerned about. He doesn't look like anything special.

I was expecting PP to be quicker and have better closing speed. Now I have since read that the latter is not considered one of Peterson's strengths so I'm going to watch for some other things next Saturday.

The thing is the pads weigh the same for everyone DJ, all the other guys who were slower than him at the combine, they wear pads too. He's not the only guy who slows down in a football uniform.

He has played parts of 2 games after the most unusual offseason in ages.

He signed July 30th. First practice was 8-2, it's 8-20 today.

I don't know where you read that since you didn't link it but Gil Brandt wrote this about Peterson prior to the draft.

"Peterson is built like a safety, has the speed of a corner and is an elite playmaker. He has the explosion and range to play on an island and the instincts to be effective in zone heavy schemes. He has elite ball skills and is a shifty runner that is a nightmare to take down in the open field. He is a supremely confident kid that always looks to make plays, but at times can get burned by ball fakes and double moves. Peterson is a freakishly talented football player and might very well be the first corner back in the draft's history to be taken No. 1 overall."

If the fastest DB in the draft doesn't have closing speed then I guess there wasn't a DB in this draft who does.

DRC didn't look special in his rookie year either and he had basically a full camp and had OTA's etc. At this point guys get a bit overwhelmed with all the stuff they have to learn, especially when you've been practicing for just over 2 weeks.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The guy fell down that's why that play happened. I'd link you a highlight clip from youtube of athletic plays by Peterson in college but apparently you think everyone in college was wearing lead boots when they played LSU because if he hasn't done it yet as a Card, he's not athletic. What the heck here's one anyways, look at the pick against Miss St(they show it several times) and tell me it's not athletic to sky to tip the ball, then have the ability to catch it, gather himself and return it nearly 50 yards. Watch the punt return against WVU they look like they're running in mud compared to him. The one against UNC is obscene there's 4-5 guys who had the angle and didn't get him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4yh4081vYM

Wow talk about ridiculous statements. I'll just ignore what you have to say from now on because the hyperbole is too much for a Saturday.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I really don't know what you guys want him to be doing. This is just silly talk right now. What I've seen is a guy playing pretty dang good coverage, but is just learning the speed of the pro game. I think he is being brought along perfectly. They are not overwhelming him. If horton or whiz thought he was too slow or unathletic or even lost would they have him returning kicks and punts? You guys are grasping at straws right now.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I really don't know what you guys want him to be doing. This is just silly talk right now. What I've seen is a guy playing pretty dang good coverage, but is just learning the speed of the pro game. I think he is being brought along perfectly. They are not overwhelming him. If horton or whiz thought he was too slow or unathletic or even lost would they have him returning kicks and punts? You guys are grasping at straws right now.

Something, anything, to make him really standout from the other DBs on the roster. We're not talking about a 3rd round DB. PP21 was supposed to be the best player in the draft. I'm not saying PP21 is a bust or anything like that I'd just like to see something on the field that makes you go wow! this guy is going to be special.

Like what Ryan Williams was doing before he got hurt.

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow talk about ridiculous statements. I'll just ignore what you have to say from now on because the hyperbole is too much for a Saturday.

He's played 2 games and had about 15 practices and you're saying he's no more athletic than McFadden, of course I'm using hyperbole, to make a point.

Patrick Peterson is the best athlete on the Arizona Cardinals roster right now so if he's not athletic enough we're in for a LONG season.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
He's played 2 games and had about 15 practices and you're saying he's no more athletic than McFadden, of course I'm using hyperbole, to make a point.

Patrick Peterson is the best athlete on the Arizona Cardinals roster right now so if he's not athletic enough we're in for a LONG season.

but apparently you think everyone in college was wearing lead boots when they played LSU

you're saying he's no more athletic than McFadden

Hyperbole, nonsense, ludicrous statements, whatever you want to call it. Didn't know critiquing Peterson would get you into such an uproar.

Last edited:

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Brian-----ref. your sig. I will put this as diplomatically as I possibly can. Since you put it out there for everyone to see,----- my only comment is that,-----you are a mod. You shouldn't have needed to be told not to.

Swiiing and a miss. It used to say "Vote Ron Paul". Nidan asked me to remove it, I said no, so he removed it for me. Now it says "I was told not to" just to piss off Nidan.

Nope, not a mod.

Anyway, back to football.....

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say comparing PP to McFadden athletically is just as bad a use of hyperbole my friend.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Something, anything, to make him really standout from the other DBs on the roster. We're not talking about a 3rd round DB. PP21 was supposed to be the best player in the draft. I'm not saying PP21 is a bust or anything like that I'd jsut like to see something on the field that makes you go wow! this guy is going to be special.

Like what Ryan Williams was doing before he got hurt.

Well I know for a fact he did one thing that DRC (who apparently is all world around here) didn't do and that was tackle. How anyone can be upset or disappointed in Peterson at this stage is beyond me. He simply hasnt had many opportunities to do anything special. You guys fail to realize that Rodgers made a perfect pass to beat him last night. Does he need work? Of course, but you guys are really off base here.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hyperbole, nonsense, ludicrous statements, whatever you want to call it. Didn't know critiquing Peterson would get you into such an uproar.

I'm not in an uproar I'm saying if you think he's as athletic as McFadden then you're wrong, he's the best athlete on the team today.

the lead boots comment was simple, you were going to say who cares it's college highlights so I jokingly made that comment.

People that made a living rating NFL draft prospects for years said Peterson was the best athlete in the draft, so if people are worried he's not athletic he's either hurt or there were no good athletes in this draft.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If he's not the best athlete on the team, he's pretty darn close. As in any sport, CONFIDENCE is what allows a good player to become a great player & a great player to become a freak. With this crazy offseason, this kid is lacking confidence to get to where he should be. It may take half the season, but he'll get there. I saw too much of this kid at LSU to not believe that he'll be special.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm not in an uproar I'm saying if you think he's as athletic as McFadden then you're wrong, he's the best athlete on the team today.

the lead boots comment was simple, you were going to say who cares it's college highlights so I jokingly made that comment.

People that made a living rating NFL draft prospects for years said Peterson was the best athlete in the draft, so if people are worried he's not athletic he's either hurt or there were no good athletes in this draft.

Like Cheesebeef likes to say you are putting words in my mouth. I never wrote that I thought that PP21 was [only] as athletic as McFadden.

I just can't understand why you and now Clif are freaking out over a couple of posters wondering why or concerned that, PP21 hasn't looked like the "best athlete in the draft" we were expecting even for a play or two as a DB.

Didn't know it was such a sensitive subject.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
If he's not the best athlete on the team, he's pretty darn close. As in any sport, CONFIDENCE is what allows a good player to become a great player & a great player to become a freak. With this crazy offseason, this kid is lacking confidence to get to where he should be. It may take half the season, but he'll get there. I saw too much of this kid at LSU to not believe that he'll be special.

Well finally somebody stayed out of attack mode long enough to offer a reasonable explanation.

Thanks PA you could be right on the money.

But again nobody said PP21 wasn't athletic. Only that we hadn't seen it so far. Huge difference.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Like Cheesebeef likes to say you are putting words in my mouth. I never wrote that I thought that PP21 was [only] as athletic as McFadden.

I just can't understand why you and now Clif are freaking out over a couple of posters wondering why or concerned that, PP21 hasn't looked like the "best athlete in the draft" we were expecting even for a play or two as a DB.

Didn't know it was such a sensitive subject.
Because its just silly talk. It's a slow news day so we decided to talk about how Peterson has not shown us the wow factor in his limited time of being a pro. Hey I just responded and posted my opinion on your opinion. What's wrong with that?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well someone hacked your account and posted this then:

"I have yet to see anything from him to indicate he is an elite athlete on the football field. He just looks like a Rod Hood or Bryant McFadden so far to me."

I don't know how else that can be determined but to say so far he looks no more athletic than Hood or McFadden.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoObstacles92