Outside LBers

NEWARKCARD

Reaction score
It's scary how every year the Cardinals don't draft a OLBer high, and then they go thru the same thing CAN'T SACK THE QB!!!!, I mean why my 12yr old grandson asked me the same thing I had no answer for him

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's the same reason we haven't drafted a QB high: the good ones are just about always gone when we pick. It sucks but it's pretty accurate. There have been a few that we missed out on but not many recently.

OP
OP
N

NEWARKCARD

Reaction score
Let's not talk about Terrell Suggs who was sitting right there for us

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Look, I'm usually at the front of the queue when it comes to criticizing the FO for overlooking the position, and I was one of the loudest voices shaming the organization in that year's draft. But, come on, this is ancient history.

OP
OP
N

NEWARKCARD

Reaction score
I know let's draft another Anthony Bell, who was so bad that during the draft ESPN didn't even have film on him or a very good one like Fred Joe Nunn and then make him a de

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
It's the same reason we haven't drafted a QB high: the good ones are just about always gone when we pick. It sucks but it's pretty accurate. There have been a few that we missed out on but not many recently.

Agreed.

I blame the Steelers.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

Never, ever been so angry on draft day. NEVER.

Calvin Pace, and Skillet Johnson. UGH!

But at least we drafted Courtney Brown....or whomever that bust from Conneticut was.

But, Alex Okafor is pretty damn good, IMO.

OP
OP
N

NEWARKCARD

Reaction score
I hear you RugbyMuffin but he's just good not damn good, he's a coverage sack linebacker

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NEWARKCARD

Reaction score
Look, I'm usually at the front of the queue when it comes to criticizing the FO for overlooking the position, and I was one of the loudest voices shaming the organization in that year's draft. But, come on, this is ancient history.

That's my point when it comes to outside linebackers that's all we have is ancient history

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
I don't see us picking at the top of the draft for a few years. Everyone knows the lack of a decent pass rusher has been our Achilles heel for some time, so they jump us.

Was Spoon our attempt at addressing this issue this past off-season? Not working out thus far.

Perhaps we have a deep enough roster for next season that we can give away several picks to move up and take someone.

Go Cards!!!

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I know let's draft another Anthony Bell, who was so bad that during the draft ESPN didn't even have film on him or a very good one like Fred Joe Nunn and then make him a de

Actually Bell wasn't a bad player, just over drafted.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I still say the Cards philosophy for size & ability to set the edge is what they're looking for instead of a sack master & I think they need to change that philosophy

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Never, ever been so angry on draft day. NEVER.

Calvin Pace, and Skillet Johnson. UGH!

But at least we drafted Courtney Brown....or whomever that bust from Conneticut was.

But, Alex Okafor is pretty damn good, IMO.

Every time I think about that Pace Johnson draft, I remind myself we drafted Boldin in the second round. Even though he's no longer on the team, he did provide some great memories while he was here.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I think the Cards wanted Bud Dupree as well. I was pimping him right up until the Steelers...Well stole him. I like the Golden pick, but I think he needs a year to learn.

Yep.. rumor is they tried to jump ahead of the Steelers/trade with Cincy to get him.. I think Cincy wanted more than the Cards were willing to give, with the Cards hoping that the promise of keeping Dupree away from their division rival would be enough to get Cincy to take a lower offer (I can't imagine their guy wouldn't have been there a few picks later - they took the OT from A&M a little higher than a lot of people thought). Let's say they wanted a 3rd round pick -- and the Cards just reach for David Johnson in round 2 instead of taking him in round 3 -- Dupree & Johnson looks better to me than Humphries-Golden-Johnson do right now. Tevin Coleman and Duke Johnson also went between our 2nd and 3rd round picks, if we would have targeted an RB in round 2 if we traded the 3rd rounder to move up for Dupree.

Last edited:

eastcoastSUN

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Is there some type of midseason trade we can make for an OLB that is set to become an UFA next year? Perhaps their current team does not want to pony up the $ next year and/or the player doesn't fit in the system anymore? Off the top of my head, Tamba Hali may be a good target since Houston just got paid... Here is the full list according to SportTrac

PLAYER (39) POS. AGE FROM TO 2015 CAP HIT STATUS

Von Miller OLB 26 DEN TBD $9,754,000 UFA
Chad Greenway OLB 32 MIN TBD $5,575,000 UFA
Tamba Hali OLB 31 KC TBD $4,964,706 UFA
Michael Neal OLB 28 GB TBD $4,250,000 UFA
Aldon Smith OLB 26 OAK TBD $3,000,000 UFA
Bruce Irvin OLB 25 SEA TBD $2,895,542 UFA
Nick Perry OLB 25 GB TBD $2,386,125 UFA
Emmanuel Lamur OLB 26 CIN TBD $2,356,000 UFA
Calvin Pace OLB 34 NYG TBD $2,250,000 UFA
Courtney Upshaw OLB 25 BAL TBD $1,685,313 UFA
Nigel Bradham OLB 26 BUF TBD $1,656,356 UFA
Michael Morgan OLB 27 SEA TBD $1,000,000 UFA
Frank Zombo OLB 28 KC TBD $820,000 UFA
Kyle Wilber OLB 26 DAL TBD $769,805 UFA
Chris Carter OLB 26 CIN TBD $745,000 UFA
Tahir Whitehead OLB 25 DET TBD $713,000 UFA
Anthony Spencer OLB 31 NO TBD $665,000 UFA
LaMarr Woodley OLB 30 ARI TBD $665,000 UFA
Scott Solomon OLB 26 CLE TBD $660,000 RFA
Danny Lansanah OLB 30 TB TBD $660,000 RFA
Larry English OLB 29 TB TBD $586,750 UFA
Joplo Bartu OLB 25 ATL TBD $586,668 RFA
Andy Mulumba OLB 25 GB TBD $586,667 RFA
David Bass OLB 25 TEN TBD $585,000 RFA
John Lotulelei OLB 23 JAC TBD $585,000 RFA
Ray Armstrong OLB 26 OAK TBD $585,000 RFA
Dezman Moses OLB 26 KC TBD $585,000 RFA
S Paysinger OLB 27 MIA TBD $585,000 UFA
JoLonn Dunbar OLB 30 STL TBD $569,705 UFA
Sam Acho OLB 27 CHI TBD $550,588 UFA
Josh Martin OLB 23 TB TBD $516,176 ERFA
Lerentee McCray OLB 25 DEN TBD $515,668 RFA
Jeremiah George OLB 23 TB TBD $510,000 ERFA
Cordarro Law OLB 26 SD TBD $510,000 ERFA
J Johnson OLB 26 JAC TBD $504,705 UFA
LaRoy Reynolds OLB 24 CHI TBD $481,764 RFA
BCopeland OLB 24 DET TBD $460,000 ERFA
Rufus Johnson OLB 25 NE TBD $435,000 ERFA
Junior Galette OLB 27 WAS TBD $413,000 UFA

PS: Bruce Irvin is only 25?!

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The Cardinals have taken a risk-averse draft approach over the years which leads to less coversion edge rushers being drafted high. The ones with less expected risk are gone, and those remaining have holes in their games which leads you to other options.

I also believe that Keim is very focused at winning the division, and in our division, edge rushers are less productive because they open running lanes for Kaepernick and Wilson.

If you look at what I believe was our best defense, it was when we had Dansby and Washington at ILB. Two athletic players who could both cover and rush and run down mobile QBs. That is where I am frustrated.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there some type of midseason trade we can make for an OLB that is set to become an UFA next year?

PLAYER (39) POS. AGE FROM TO 2015 CAP HIT STATUS
Courtney Upshaw OLB 25 BAL TBD $1,685,313 UFA

Ravens may be interested in making another trade for a WR.

Seems as though they'd only be willing to trade draft picks, but they'd likely do more for a WR of Floyd's caliber, if the Cardinals were willing to lose Floyd. But, Upshaw might not be quite the kind of OLB the Cardinals need, and likely isn't good enough to merit trading Floyd straight-up.

No doubt Newsome and Keim have already spoken this week!

...dave

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cardinals have taken a risk-averse draft approach over the years which leads to less coversion edge rushers being drafted high. The ones with less expected risk are gone, and those remaining have holes in their games which leads you to other options.

I also believe that Keim is very focused at winning the division, and in our division, edge rushers are less productive because they open running lanes for Kaepernick and Wilson.

If you look at what I believe was our best defense, it was when we had Dansby and Washington at ILB. Two athletic players who could both cover and rush and run down mobile QBs. That is where I am frustrated.

not only that, but they had Abraham coming off the edge to add major pressure. That LB corp could really do it all... play side to side, blitz, attack the passer and cover. this LB corp can't really do any of that.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Calvin Pace is still in the NFL?? Wait.....really?

that Rod Graves was underappreciated.

Want to blow up the cap for Von Miller?

Last edited:

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
This problem can be solved. The Cards need to bite the bullet and either pay the money to sign a big FA or trade up on draft day. They waste enough picks like Humphries, Golden and JJ anyway. With Keims' ability to fill holes in the open market it's high time to make a move. The Cards just have to take a draft and if they come out with only one key player then they do. They could also afford to pull from the roster, for example like including a safety. They could have added Floyd last summer. Instead they waste mid-round draft picks year after year in hope of getting lucky. It's time to fix the problem.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
This problem can be solved. The Cards need to bite the bullet and either pay the money to sign a big FA or trade up on draft day. They waste enough picks like Humphries, Golden and JJ anyway. With Keims' ability to fill holes in the open market it's high time to make a move. The Cards just have to take a draft and if they come out with only one key player then they do. They could also afford to pull from the roster, for example like including a safety. They could have added Floyd last summer. Instead they waste mid-round draft picks year after year in hope of getting lucky. It's time to fix the problem.
Humphries, Golden, and JJ are already wasted picks :confused:. Four game into their career :confused:.

I wanted Shane Ray more than anyone but calling these guys wasted picks is beyond premature.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Humphries, Golden, and JJ are already wasted picks :confused:. Four game into their career :confused:.

I wanted Shane Ray more than anyone but calling these guys wasted picks is beyond premature.
Exactly. Hump is a project, Golden is showing flashes/progress and JJ has looked pretty good when he has gotten the ball in his hands (will look even better with a little muscle and better knowledge of the offense). You could argue that Hump was a wasted pick for this season, but he could still turn into one of our tackles of the future.