OT: Why you don't draft a kicker in the 2nd round

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not only did they draft a FG kicker in the 2nd rd but they traded up to get him. Like some other team was going to take him before them. Stupid decision with a side of moron.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As the cardinals play the raiders tonight Sebastian Janokowski enters his 18th year and is the Raiders all time leading scorer.

Hope he gets his mind right and gets on track. Seems like a good kid

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
It was a good pick. I don't like these "see he sucks! That's why it was a bad pick" hindsight football genius talks going on all over social media now.

How many games are won and lost on FGs? A lot. Most of them, in fact.

So which is better: One more linebacker to add to the 9 already on the squad, or the single best kicker in college football history?

It was a good pick. Give the kid time
Hehehe:lmao::shocker:

OP
OP
A

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Here's an interesting article on the flaw that was noticed in his kicking style and how it was overlooked.

http://insidethepylon.com/nfl/teams...neers/2017/03/01/robert-aguayo-self-scouting/

The question as far as my own scouting process is concerned is twofold. First, what are the key lessons to take away from Aguayo’s development? Second, what processes do I need to put into place to make sure I do not make the same mistakes again?

The first takeaway is that I discounted the probability that Aguayo’s skip step would cause issues in the future, despite noting that it had the potential to develop into a problem. When projecting players into the NFL, the critical task is being able to identify the probability of a player attaining a certain level of play. The terms that are tossed around with regards to this are often simplified into “ceiling”, “baseline”, and “floor.” So the two-part question we have to answer when scouting players is where do those three possible outcomes fall, and what is the probability of hitting each one? We can use additional precision if necessary, but with the small statistical sample size we work with on kickers, that tends to produce more questions than answers.

In this case, I placed too much emphasis on past performance, as opposed to the potential for Aguayo’s skip step to reduce his accuracy. I assumed that since it had worked to a certain point in his career that it would continue to work in the same way going forward. In doing so, I assigned too high of a probability to him reaching his ceiling, and too low of a probability to his baseline and floor. The issue was not that the flaw was not noticed – it was that rather than trusting what my eyes were telling me, I trusted Aguayo’s statistics to remain as they were before.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Man, between this and Joey Bosa being short-listed for DPOY, it could be a tough season for Bodha's scorching takes.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
SK should re-sign Catman and then trade him to the Bucs for a 4th rd pick.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Released from the Bears. Bodha has shown a lot of courage apologizing for his terrible take on this subject.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't even want to look at my old posts in this thread I know I mentioned Aguayo as a kid who'd probably get drafted higher than expected because of how good he was in college.

A friend of mine worked with a guy a few years back who'd been a kicker in college, not major D1 but a smaller college. He got an invite to some kickers camp for guys trying to make the NFL and said he simply could not believe how good these guys were and most of them would never make an NFL roster.

He basically said these guys train to where they can almost kick blindfolded but it usually comes down to being able to handle adversity, you're going to have bad snaps and holds, and being able to handle pressure. There are lots of out of work kickers who are as good or better than NFL kickers, but can't handle the pressure or adversity.

It's also amazing to me how quickly a kicker can go south, one miss can literally change a guys career path.

OP
OP
A

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't even want to look at my old posts in this thread I know I mentioned Aguayo as a kid who'd probably get drafted higher than expected because of how good he was in college.

A friend of mine worked with a guy a few years back who'd been a kicker in college, not major D1 but a smaller college. He got an invite to some kickers camp for guys trying to make the NFL and said he simply could not believe how good these guys were and most of them would never make an NFL roster.

He basically said these guys train to where they can almost kick blindfolded but it usually comes down to being able to handle adversity, you're going to have bad snaps and holds, and being able to handle pressure. There are lots of out of work kickers who are as good or better than NFL kickers, but can't handle the pressure or adversity.

It's also amazing to me how quickly a kicker can go south, one miss can literally change a guys career path.

Check out this link that I posted earlier.

http://insidethepylon.com/nfl/teams...neers/2017/03/01/robert-aguayo-self-scouting/

It was more than mental with Aguayo. There was a flaw in his delivery.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

A Frenchman seconds of panic by Stefan Fatsis is a great book on the topic of NFL training camps and kicking.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson