OT: Las Vegas Raiders WR Henry Ruggs to be charged with DUI resulting in death

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
While certainly a factor, alcohol isn’t the problem here. Dude obviously has some significant mental health issues. I’m not buying the “he was drunk” stuff. I’ve been pretty intoxicated a time or 2, and I’ve been pretty good at continuing to realize 160mph isn’t a good idea, nor is trying to climb up to your 7th story apartment, nor anything to do with fuel, projectiles, or the lady neighbor next door. I’m being a little cute, but also serious. What he did is inexcusable, but the dude needs some significant help. Football is over for this guy/doesn’t matter anymore - he needs to get himself right. JMHO.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Doesn't the NFL have its own concierge service for exactly this situation? IIRC they started this about 20 years ago, long before Uber/Lyft, because this kind of ***** had happened before and they wanted to prevent it. Unless they discontinued it, a player can call for a ride 24x7 and the league handles it.
The NFL didn't completely discontinue it but they now charge $85 to be eligible for the program. They said many players would not sign up for it as they believed the NFL was using it to track them.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
While certainly a factor, alcohol isn’t the problem here. Dude obviously has some significant mental health issues. I’m not buying the “he was drunk” stuff. I’ve been pretty intoxicated a time or 2, and I’ve been pretty good at continuing to realize 160mph isn’t a good idea, nor is trying to climb up to your 7th story apartment, nor anything to do with fuel, projectiles, or the lady neighbor next door. I’m being a little cute, but also serious. What he did is inexcusable, but the dude needs some significant help. Football is over for this guy/doesn’t matter anymore - he needs to get himself right. JMHO.
The mental health issue is called affluenza....the dude obviously is rich, connected, and things that he can drive around town at 156 mph. He has grown up in a world where he is worshipped because he can run fast and/or dunk a basketball.

I agree with others who have said that we have to end this construct in our society that the rich, power, and/or famous are held to different standards.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s remarkable he didn’t die on impact let alone walking away from that. If you picture a car going 156 hitting a stationary object seems impossible.
Well he was only at 127 upon impact per the cars computer :facepalm:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first people on the scene could hear Ms Tintor screaming for her life but couldn't get to her......

Throw the max at this guy.
I’ve personally arrived on a car that was burning out of control and the heat was so extreme nothing could be done. I was able to hear the occupants last gasping scream as I arrived. It’s nothing anyone would want to hear ever. It’s beyond brutal and awful and haunting.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really feel bad for the victims and the dog. So sad.

I'm guessing there will be additional charges beyond driving under the influence (resulting in a death) like reckless driving and speeding.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don’t know bro... I’m sure the “what will destroying his life accomplish” crowd is still out there. But I can hope.
I don’t think that’s “sympathy” per se, I think that’s a perspective. I don’t think they feel bad for him as much as they are taking a step back and saying “will putting him in prison for 20 years further society’s goals or hinder them?” I don’t necessarily agree, but I understand the argument that having a young man come out of prison after 20 years changes him - and not always for the better.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's amazing one can get up to such high speeds in a residential area. And reportedly there was a gun in the car per above tweet.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The mental health issue is called affluenza....the dude obviously is rich, connected, and things that he can drive around town at 156 mph. He has grown up in a world where he is worshipped because he can run fast and/or dunk a basketball.

I agree with others who have said that we have to end this construct in our society that the rich, power, and/or famous are held to different standards.
It’s not just held to different standards, they can literally purchase different standards.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always said that the only way to fix this standard is to have all criminal cases handled by agents of the court. That means Jeff Bezos gets the same lawyer I do.
You’d have half as many attorneys lol

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Uber and Lyft is enough... seriously trying to make an excuse in today’s day and age and blame public transportation? No bueno.... and no sympathy for Ruggs. Hope he gets the full 20 years...

If worse comes to worse the city bus runs on every major street in this city. USE IT!
In no way am I trying to make an excuse. But, it's an additional indictment on our city. We sell sin. Alcohol is ubiquitous, and at the heart of many events here, where it's obvious we're sending thousands if not tens or hundreds of thousands out of an event to go drive home and not do it sober. It is a failure of the city as a whole to not at least have something like a light rail to get to major sections of the Valley, especially with how much urban sprawl exists here.

Plus, Uber and Lyft are relatively new, and it was a fight to even get them here, not to mention a lack of staff during the pandemic. Cabs are a huge struggle to get off the Strip.

Anecdotal stories here, pre-Uber, I was leaving a concert here and wanted to take a cab home to Henderson. 7 cabs rejected me because they didn't want to drive that far. I knew in advance I was going to drink, so I didn't drive, but I can imagine some people in that situation would have given up and gone to their car.

Second, I was at TI a couple of months ago to see friends. I took an Uber out there, at a perfectly reasonable price. When night came, and it was time to go home, the cost was nearly $80 before tip. At the time, I was unemployed and couldn't afford that. I posted up for nearly 3 hours on a bench waiting for prices to adjust. Again, I think many who brought their car might end up trying to risk the drive home.

No excuses, but the fact a few sub-optimal options exist isn't an excuse for the fact that the city should get better.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think that’s “sympathy” per se, I think that’s a perspective. I don’t think they feel bad for him as much as they are taking a step back and saying “will putting him in prison for 20 years further society’s goals or hinder them?” I don’t necessarily agree, but I understand the argument that having a young man come out of prison after 20 years changes him - and not always for the better.
He's very lucky to only be facing a maximum sentence of 20 years.

IMHO, he should be charged with felony murder and he should be up for the death penalty.

Luciano

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's amazing one can get up to such high speeds in a residential area. And reportedly there was a gun in the car per above tweet.
It's crazy, a guy in Florida was almost 120 in a 30 zone, ran a stop sign, hit a fire hydrant went up an embankment and the car got launched in to the air went trough the roof landed inside an house killing who was inside