OT: Las Vegas Raiders WR Henry Ruggs to be charged with DUI resulting in death

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I have never even heard of and can't imagine anyone driving 156 mph on a city street. It makes me wonder if he was having an argument with his gf and either wanted to scare her or wanted to kill them both. This just doesn't make any sense to me. 156 mph on any street is just unimaginable. Was he in a suicidal mindset to do that?

If you’re not moving and see a car going past you at 156 it’s probably a split second view. The sounds the collision made must have been horrific. It looks like it happened next to a apartment complex. I’m sure we’ll start hearing eye/ear witness accounts.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A little off topic, but confessions are made to the police all the time without people ever hearing or knowing their Miranda Rights.
True... still admissible unless being actively questioned related to to the incident/crime

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you actually know that they don't have that right? Or can they disable it, if they want to, without any governmental consequences?

No I don't know. I suspect most people don't know about the box or know how to disable it.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think Miranda rights only apply if a person is under arrest? Maybe that was the original intent, although it could have changed over the years.
I'm more interested in maintaining individual rights than saving time. Like you said, they can reconstruct the crime scene and there are cameras everywhere these days.

A little off topic, but confessions are made to the police all the time without people ever hearing or knowing their Miranda Rights.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Of course this can be justified in terms of safety but we are slowly losing all are rights.

I think when you own a car a person should have the right to disable the device.
Who says you’re not allowed to do so? I’ll bet the manufacturers put them in to avoid claims that something didn’t deploy appropriately to avoid product liability.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm more interested in maintaining individual rights than saving time. Like you said, they can reconstruct the crime scene and there are cameras everywhere these days.

Also, the black box isn’t so much a confession as it is evidence.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True... still admissible unless being actively questioned related to to the incident/crime

I'm sure you have seen this right abused (knowing your previous occupation) and I'm sure you are keenly alert of what you say to police can and will be used against you.

Sometimes I watch law enforcement programs on television and my blood boils a bit when I see felony confessions sought without one thought of letting that individual know their rights before they confess.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Miranda rights only apply if a person is under arrest? Maybe that was the original intent, although it could have changed over the years.
You don’t have to be under arrest. If you are questioning someone who you believe to be a possible suspect in a crime and you question them in any way related to said crime they should be read their rights every time prior to questioning.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you have seen this right abused (knowing your previous occupation) and I'm sure you are keenly alert of what you say to police can and will be used against you.

Sometimes I watch law enforcement programs on television and my blood boils a bit when I see felony confessions sought without one thought of letting that individual know their rights before they confess.
If someone is never questioned by the police and utters a statement or confesses of their own free will rights haven’t been violated.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's often too late to know your rights once you are arrested because the person has already said things to incriminate themselves guilty or not guilty.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You don’t have to be under arrest. If you are questioning someone who you believe to be a possible suspect in a crime and you question them in any way related to said crime they should be read their rights every time prior to questioning.
Not sure, but I think originally it was if you were being detained and not free to leave? But, could be wrong.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If someone is never questioned by the police and utters a statement or confesses of their own free will rights haven’t been violated.

Of course this is technically true under the law.

However, I'm sure you know if you are ever a suspect in a crime, it's better to get a lawyer before you speak to police even if not guilty. Whatever you say can and will be used against you.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is quite a leap

Black boxes are part of the airbag system, so good luck disabling them.

That's public transportation where a vehicle is private transportation so there is no leap.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's often too late to know your rights once you are arrested because the person has already said things to incriminate themselves guilty or not guilty.
Don’t know why someone would say something to incriminate themselves if they’re not guilty and no interrogation has commenced . . .

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course this is technically true under the law.

However, I'm sure you know if you are ever a suspect in a crime, it's better to get a lawyer before you speak to police even if not guilty. Whatever you say can and will be used against you.
Correct.. that’s why rights are read. So it’s made very clear.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No it isn’t. You don’t have a right to be insured. Particularly if you are unwilling to comply with the safety measures that your insurance company - a business, not the government - requires.

You have to have insurance under the law so it's a catch 22.

A person may have to give up their right to self incrimination by a "black box" if you have to drive to make a living.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correct.. that’s why rights are read. So it’s made very clear.

A person often incriminates themselves because they think they have to talk to police when they don't other than give insurance, license and registration information for a vehicle.

I'm sure a huge number of cases are made long before Miranda Warnings are given. Police can even lie if they want.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Of course this can be justified in terms of safety but we are slowly losing all are rights.

I think when you own a car a person should have the right to disable the device.
The vast majority of cars aren't owned, though...even by the rich...They are leased and/or financed.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The vast majority of cars aren't owned, though...even by the rich...They are leased and/or financed.

That's a gray area I suppose but permision for the "black box" could be included in the contract.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Regarding black boxes in cars and your rights. I found this very helpful article with state by state requirements. In Nevada, it's disclosed at the time of sale/lease, that the black box is installed.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard