OT: Las Vegas Raiders WR Henry Ruggs to be charged with DUI resulting in death

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We have taxis, Uber, Lyft and public bus system, oh and on call limos oh and friends and teammates and coaches you could call to come and get ya…
Doesn't the NFL have its own concierge service for exactly this situation? IIRC they started this about 20 years ago, long before Uber/Lyft, because this kind of ***** had happened before and they wanted to prevent it. Unless they discontinued it, a player can call for a ride 24x7 and the league handles it.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Just imagine being on top of the world in a lot of ways at one moment, and the next moment you come to, you're in prison forever, more or less never seeing the light of day again.
Just imagine being on top of the world in a lot of ways at one moment, and the next moment you come to, you're 6 feet under with your family sobbing above you, wondering why this had to happen to you.

F Henry Ruggs. I hope he gets the full 20.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There have been countless studies that show that stricter punishments don't have any positive effect in general prevention. So I just can't see who it would serve any good to lock him away for 20 years, no way he is going to be a functional member of society after that.

And believe me, I know this feeling of wanting some sort of vengeance very well. I actually had a family member who died in a similar accident. But that is not the role of the criminal justice system, at least in my eyes.
Actions have consequences. Ruggs chose to drink and drive and it resulted in the death of another. 20 years is lenient.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I read earlier that it was a woman & her dog in the Rav4. Ruggs also had a passenger in the corvette with him that is still hospitalized. So sad.

Captain Matt

Registered
Reaction score
The free rides thing is in most military commands too. If you are out and about and lose your wallet or run out of cash or whatever - we will get you home with no retribution. You may have to explain the situation to someone and work to pay back the taxi ride, but if you choose to roll the dice and get caught you are absolutely done.

Captain Matt

Registered
Reaction score
And another thing about my organization - there is precedent to prosecute under the UCMJ if you are riding in a vehicle with someone whom gets a DUI. Basically the same punishment can be levied on a person whom wasn’t even operating (judgement, accountability, etc)

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The free rides thing is in most military commands too. If you are out and about and lose your wallet or run out of cash or whatever - we will get you home with no retribution. You may have to explain the situation to someone and work to pay back the taxi ride, but if you choose to roll the dice and get caught you are absolutely done.
Yep Staff Duty usually has $50 sitting around for it.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It also serves as a deterrent. If you think “Uber or risk 20 years?” Which would you choose?

You know what else is a long time? Someone’s entire life. Gone. Due to solely to someone being reckless enough with just about anyone’s life they would’ve encountered during that drive. Yeah, 20+ years works. I’d be devastated if it was someone I loved going to jail for 20 years, but I’d have a tough time arguing against it.
I think what is the most egregious is that he was going fast enough to make the victims car explode in a fire ball.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to add this to my confession about drunk driving, I know it's one day at a time but a week from today I will be drug free and sober for 33 years. November 9th, 1988 a couple of days after the Cards beat the 9ers 24-23. The personal disaster that happened to me at SDS that day was the breaking point.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to add this to my confession about drunk driving, I know it's one day at a time but a week from today I will be drug free and sober for 33 years. November 9th, 1988 a couple of days after the Cards beat the 9ers 24-23. The personal disaster that happened to me at SDS that day was the breaking point.
Congrats brotha

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

We never know what someone had gone through.
Thank you for sharing your story. I wish you continue sobriety and well wishes.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Sincere congrats.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
There have been countless studies that show that stricter punishments don't have any positive effect in general prevention. So I just can't see who it would serve any good to lock him away for 20 years, no way he is going to be a functional member of society after that.

And believe me, I know this feeling of wanting some sort of vengeance very well. I actually had a family member who died in a similar accident. But that is not the role of the criminal justice system, at least in my eyes.
There are multiple roles:

Remove a danger from society
Retribution
Reformation
Deterrence

Each play a role to differing levels. Unfortunately there’s no definitive science in regards to how each of these impacts disparate personalities and society. There are studies that may provide some general inferences, but they can’t be definitive. Like reform or keeping streets safe. Drunk drivers get multiple DUIs all the time. So reform or keeping the streets safe isn’t resulting from jail time. But I can tell at least one person (me) is dissuaded from driving with even a little influence of booze in my system due to the jail time. And I know I’m not alone.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That is something to be extremely proud of. 33 years is amazing!

I lost someone I loved in the last two years due to alcohol. She was a wonderful person who wasn’t able to combat her demons and her body couldn’t handle the extent to which she was poisoning it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
There are multiple roles:

Remove a danger from society
Retribution
Reformation
Deterrence

Each play a role to differing levels. Unfortunately there’s no definitive science in regards to how each of these impacts disparate personalities and society. There are studies that may provide some general inferences, but they can’t be definitive. Like reform or keeping streets safe. Drunk drivers get multiple DUIs all the time. So reform or keeping the streets safe isn’t resulting from jail time. But I can tell at least one person (me) is dissuaded from driving with even a little influence of booze in my system due to the jail time. And I know I’m not alone.
Though to be fair, and to Austrian’s point, one year of jail time would deter me.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An innocent life was lost. His Girlfriend is in critical condition. Ruggs life as he knows it is over. Three lives destroyed for one stupid decision not to pay 50 bucks for a car ride.
Forget the rides provided by the NFL. Forget Uber or Lyft.

Why don't these players hire a designated driver? :shrug:

Here is Ruggs' contract numbers. No reason he couldn't have hired someone to drive he and his girl around after they get smashed (if that's the kind of life he wanted to live). SMH.

You must be registered for see images attach

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Only part I will add to this convo. Be careful being significantly more critical of the person who gets a DUI and kills someone than you are with the person who drives drunk and gets home safe. They are the same action with just opposite ends of the range of outcomes. The difference between Ruggs and Keim is minimal in this regard. Both drove intoxicated and one just got luckier than the other.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
In the Air Force we have Airmen Against Drunk Driving that are on call to come pick you up free of charge. There are just so many available options in place and even more so for an NFL player that makes millions of dollars.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I highly respect you for straightening out your life

I have 23+ years myself

The biggest question I get is do I miss it?

The answer is no.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Only part I will add to this convo. Be careful being significantly more critical of the person who gets a DUI and kills someone than you are with the person who drives drunk and gets home safe. They are the same action with just opposite ends of the range of outcomes. The difference between Ruggs and Keim is minimal in this regard. Both drove intoxicated and one just got luckier than the other.
Agree 100%. It’s knowingly recklessly putting other lives at risk.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
In the Air Force we have Airmen Against Drunk Driving that are on call to come pick you up free of charge. There are just so many available options in place and even more so for an NFL player that makes millions of dollars.
Cripes just a good friend should do it.

I know if my better friends called me at 3am piss-drunk needing a ride I’d either get up and pick them up or arrange for an Uber to pick them up. I’d be mad, but I’d make sure they were okay. There simply isn’t any excuse.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard