OT-"He is beginning to believe"

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I was just wondering if, while watching Lebron these days, anyone else felt like they were watching The Matrix. The first one. Every time I watch Lebron these days, I have this flashback to The Matrix, where Neo first steps up to Agent Smith in the train station. Trinity is watching from the ship, and seeing Neo confront Agent Smith, she asks,"What is he doing!?". And Morpheus replies," He is beginning to believe!" Does anyone else get this impression while watching? Here's a guy gifted with physical talent the NBA has probably never seen. Probably so much physical talent, he himself does not realize what he's capable of. Until now. He's beginning to believe. Michael Jordan could just decide to dominate. He could just decide,"You know what, I think I'll destroy these guys now". He'd just raise his effort level to 100% and it was over. What's scary is it seems like James has the ability to do this at 75%. I still don't know if he's realized how absurdly dominant he can be. I'm not sure he's reached that point where he sees the matrix for what it is. Every Heat game I can, I dvr these days. Because he truly may be the one. And I am loving every minute of watching.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In his last 4 games he is averaging 31 points on 60% shooting with 10 assists, 9 rebounds 2 blocks and 2.5 steals.

Michael

The buzz is back!
Reaction score
I like your Neo analogy. Not sure what it was that held LeBron back, but I've never seen a player as dominant as him other MJ. Not Shaq (2000/2001), not mid-nineties Hakeem, not Duncan nor anybody else.

He looked like he wasn't interested in playing today against the Magic. I barely remembered him scoring in the first half (he had 6) and suddenly he turned it up a notch, finishing one rebound shy of a triple double.

It was like that over the last few games. Big leads for the opposition, suddenly James switches to "Ok, enough, you guys will lose." mode, and the Heat were going to turn around even very large deficits.

There is not a single weakness in LeBron's game. It used to be his shooting, but we may bury this notion in the past. Three pointers, contested turn-around jumpers, floaters, bank shots - you name it. He hits them consistently, not just when he's hot. His passing is second to none. Crosscourt, one-handed, creative, in the open court or half-court - he rarely throws a pass that is not right on target, and he is the main reason whey Miami is so dangerous with their long-range shooting.
LeBron is even using low-post moves more often. His drives are simply unstoppable, and on the defensive end he alters shots, jumps passing lanes and closes down the best opposing scorer.
And he's a team-player. The "heat check" three pointers have become a very rare sight, and LeBron is consistently willing to pass the ball to a better positioned player. The result is beautiful movement within Miami's offence. Role players know they will get the ball and have their superstar's trust. Something not to be underestimated as it is clearly visible if you watch the Lakers, for instance.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I like your Neo analogy. Not sure what it was that held LeBron back, but I've never seen a player as dominant as him other MJ. Not Shaq (2000/2001), not mid-nineties Hakeem, not Duncan nor anybody else.

He looked like he wasn't interested in playing today against the Magic. I barely remembered him scoring in the first half (he had 6) and suddenly he turned it up a notch, finishing one rebound shy of a triple double.

It was like that over the last few games. Big leads for the opposition, suddenly James switches to "Ok, enough, you guys will lose." mode, and the Heat were going to turn around even very large deficits.

There is not a single weakness in LeBron's game. It used to be his shooting, but we may bury this notion in the past. Three pointers, contested turn-around jumpers, floaters, bank shots - you name it. He hits them consistently, not just when he's hot. His passing is second to none. Crosscourt, one-handed, creative, in the open court or half-court - he rarely throws a pass that is not right on target, and he is the main reason whey Miami is so dangerous with their long-range shooting.
LeBron is even using low-post moves more often. His drives are simply unstoppable, and on the defensive end he alters shots, jumps passing lanes and closes down the best opposing scorer.
And he's a team-player. The "heat check" three pointers have become a very rare sight, and LeBron is consistently willing to pass the ball to a better positioned player. The result is beautiful movement within Miami's offence. Role players know they will get the ball and have their superstar's trust. Something not to be underestimated as it is clearly visible if you watch the Lakers, for instance.
You may have a point, although it's really hard to compare towering centers to lebron because they are different. the center has almost disappeared from today's game so I actually think it reflects very well for those that you mentioned because they were in fact unstoppable on many nights that they played. there is not as much wow factor with the 7 footer....that's just my opinion. even with my guy dirk. he hits these crazy shots and it is awesome to watch as a mavericks fan because you know he is going to make the shot before he shoots and he does. but it's still not like watching MJ or lebron.

lebron is a high flyer and at the end of the day the fans love that more than anything. now he is mixing in all of the elements into his game that he needs to have to dominate and he is coming along the way we originally thought he would. of corse playing with d-wade(almost an equal, but not quite) helps.

I also beg to differ that everyone of those guys you mentioned(shaq, hakeem, duncan) all dominated in their day for many years at their position and no one could stop them either. hell in some games I watch duncan still and I say damn what are you supposed to do? obviously he is older now so it isn't as often as it used to be.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I thought you were talking about Marion. :)
haha that's what I thought. so should lebron be the "real matrix" now that the "old matrix" is just trix now? lol the other night I saw marion redirect(a drop in) what would have been a tomahawk back in the steve nash days. still 2 points though!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson