OT: Eagles Go Green - Save Life on Earth

Redmark

Registered
Reaction score
Been thinking about the huge impact sports related activities such as team travel, fans travel, A/C and lighting of stadiums, catering, food prep and storage, cleaning uniforms, broadcasting games and the list goes on and on for the thousand upon thousands of events that are put on each and every year. I've come to the conclusion that the NFL, NBA, MLB, MLS, NHL, NCAA, PGA, ATP, NASCAR (especially NASCAR and other racing related events) etc, as well as the television and radio networks need to start taking some drastic voluntary actions to curb their production of cardon dioxide and other pollutants. It could have a dramatic effect and could probably be done in such a way as to minimally impact the sports millions of fans love and spend so much of their lives, watching, reading, writing and talking about.

The NFL, which I have actively followed for 50 years, could take a leadership role in this regards. While searching "Global Warming" on NFL.com, I came across this website: http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/gogreen/. This effort is sponsored by Jeffrey and Cristina Lurie ... way to step up to the plate Iggles.

From this site you can lend your voice to this growing numbers of Americans who want the government to begin serious efforts towards sponsoring programs that help reduce the impact that these emissions have caused and continue to cause at ever alarming rates.

I realize this is not football related ... football is about escape from reality and one's everyday problems. Hopefully Jim and the moderators will help promote airing/discussions of this important topic by sticking it to the top for a while and see what ideas we in the sports-loving community can come up with.

Thank you for your attention
Mark Phillips - Long Beach, CA

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My solution is simple, disband the NFL and plant trees in every NFL stadium.

:D

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Jeff Lurie also flies around in a private jet

One cross country trip by Luries puts more emissions into the air than 100 of us do with our cars all year

maybe he should start at home

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Would golf have to change too?

They keep alot of trees alive, that would otherwise be ground used for parking lots etc.

ok, I'm done.

OP
OP
R

Redmark

Registered
Reaction score
Jeff Lurie also flies around in a private jet

One cross country trip by Luries puts more emissions into the air than 100 of us do with our cars all year

maybe he should start at home

Agree on that. Whether he flies commercial or in his own plane he may have the money and awareness to purchase offset credits.

OP
OP
R

Redmark

Registered
Reaction score
My solution is simple, disband the NFL and plant trees in every NFL stadium.

:D

A little drastic don't ya think? I'm looking for ideas that don't have to kill the games we love b/c that will surely come as a last resort when its too late to do any good.

How about:

1) eliminating exhibition games
2) realigning league on a truly geographic basis (Miami in EAST with NE, NYJ and Bills causes 6 team round-trips up and down East coast every season)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A little drastic don't ya think? I'm looking for ideas that don't have to kill the games we love b/c that will surely come as a last resort when its too late to do any good.

How about:

1) eliminating exhibition games
2) realigning league on a truly geographic basis (Miami in EAST with NE, NYJ and Bills causes 6 team round-trips up and down East coast every season)

Well if the goal is to truly be green there is no actual need for the NFL and all those newly planted trees would be great. If the goal is to just be more eco friendly than it currently is, I like your 2 suggestions.

AntSports Steve

Cardinals Future GM
Reaction score
If global warming keeps going and the ocean levels rise, will Arizona get some ocean front property. If so, I say global warming is good and when can I surf?

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Well if the goal is to truly be green there is no actual need for the NFL and all those newly planted trees would be great. If the goal is to just be more eco friendly than it currently is, I like your 2 suggestions.

Techincally if you want to go all out ecofriendly, since mankind is incapable of restraining itself you'd have to develop a way to kill all of us after we dug up the concrete and unsmelted the metal and plastic, so the best scenario is scare us all to death have us undo everything then kill us all before we wised up.

I'm a living person myself so obviously that's not my wishes but I'm just taking it to it's logical farthest conclusion... :D

OP
OP
R

Redmark

Registered
Reaction score

It's almost like giving in to the terroists in a way. Once we've compromised our life style(s) than the enemy (Mother Nature?) has won. Current hope is that if the developed world can somehow reverse the trend and return to emission levels to those that were produced in 1990, we will somehow be able to avoid the "tipping point" and save life on the planet. This amounts to a 20-25% reduction and no growth that adds more emissions (dare say impossible!). People need to be aware and pro-active - join the movement and do your share. There really is no alternative.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard