OT: Most impactful play in Az Sports history

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This isn't exactly a Cards question, more of an Az Sports question, but I don't really know where else to put it but the most popular section for Az Sports. This is a question that would apply not only to the Cards, but to all Az teams, pro and college.

What, to you, is the most impactful play in Arizona sports history? Not necessarily your favorite play or a play that kills you, although both categories could qualify, but the one that had a huge swing for that team, in that moment. I realize not each team matters to one fan as much as the other... and, I don't care, put Cards, Suns, Sun Devils, Wildcats, Firebirds, what ever. I am just curious as to what people feel had the biggest impact.

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Luis Gonzalez’s hit off Mariano Rivera. Gave AZ it’s 1st, and only, major sports championship.
That’s definitely number one. Have you seen the documentary “9 Innings from Ground Zero”? I think you can watch on YouTube. I watch it every year around 9-11 and tear up every time. It focuses mostly on the Yankees run that year, but if you’re a baseball fan, its amazing.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Luis Gonzalez’s hit off Mariano Rivera. Gave AZ it’s 1st, and only, major sports championship.
Definitely #1.

The others that pop into my mind are:
1. Larry's TD in the Super Bowl. This was the first time I really, truly believed in my heart that we were going to win that game.

2. Warner to Hightower to clinch the Super Bowl appearance.

3. As an alum, "Simon says championship!" (more of a moment than a play)

4. I tried to think of the right Suns moment (Paxson's 3 to clinch the Suns loss in the Finals was the first thing that came to mind), but I'll go with KJ's dunk over Hakeem in the playoffs.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
To me, for the Suns, it's a moment not a play. It's when Charles Barkley was introduced to the Phoenix crowd, riding the back of a chopper at an Arizona Rattlers game.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
For Arizona State football, it's the touchdown pass that Jake Plummer threw to Keith Poole against Nebraska. That was the moment when we knew that not only would Jake Plummer be special, but that Arizona State team would be special.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not an Arizona sports fan, and I forgot you guys did win a WS. So for me, Larry's TD was like touching God. I never felt that way in my life after he gave me serious hope we could win the SB.

Red Bird

Veteran
Reaction score
I’d argue Womack’s hit against Rivera was bigger than Gonzo’s. We were a double play away from losing that thing at that point. With that hit we went from the hunted to the hunter and had them backed up against the wall. Gonzo then obviously delivered the final blow.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I’d argue Womack’s hit against Rivera was bigger than Gonzo’s. We were a double play away from losing that thing at that point. With that hit we went from the hunted to the hunter and had them backed up against the wall. Gonzo then obviously delivered the final blow.

Everything went right that inning from Rivera throwing it away to Brosius not throwing to first after the bunt to the infield being in vs Gonzo. The one time in valley history it was meant to be.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Horace Grant blocking Danny Ainge in the NBA finals.

westfall screwed the pooch...Grant was in foul trouble the entire second half and we never sent Barkley at him 1v1 to foul him out. at the end of the game, Grant stopped us from winning in two plays.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Everything went right that inning from Rivera throwing it away to Brosius not throwing to first after the bunt to the infield being in vs Gonzo. The one time in valley history it was meant to be.
Also the one time in history it would have actually been poetic justice for the Yankees to actually win a World Series.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also the one time in history it would have actually been poetic justice for the Yankees to actually win a World Series
the only people in the world rooting for the D-Backs in that series were us and Al-Queda.

Bin Laden and his Boys were probably hooting and hollering when Gonzo's floater hit the ground to defeat "the Evil Empire".

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This is the top for me too. I was dreading Womack hitting a weak grounder or flailing on a strike out, instead he delivered a crushing blow. Gonzo finished the job but our odds of winning the game probably went from 10% to 80% on Womack's swing.