Offseason goals

Dave64

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I remember when some people on this board were frustrated that the most the Suns would get this summer was Nash and Okur. If Q stays in LA, and all we get is Nash and Ostertag, then I am guessing there will be even more people upset about the results of our cap clearing endeavors? Thoughts?

scotsman13

Reaction score
nope, i wouldnt be.

was what we had before working with marbury, amare and marion? no, it worked for one season and then fell apart. what is the bigger crime sitting on something that is broken and doing nothing or seeing something is broken and working to fix it? the suns when to work to fix it and even if all they got was nash and he comes in and the team is back in the playoffs. amare grows and become a superstar, barbosa become a very good point. jj become a star player and marion does what he has always done. this team will be set for a long time to come.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Well said, scotsman13.

OP
OP
D

Dave64

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You simply don't make all the salary slashing moves the Suns made and end up with only Steve Nash. This is very obvious!

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Dave64 said:
You simply don't make all the salary slashing moves the Suns made and end up with only Steve Nash. This is very obvious!

Dave, seriously man, get a clue. You can't handcuff people and force them to play here. I think the Suns upper brass has done a great job so far.

fordronken

Reaction score
Dave64 said:

You're right. Being scared and assuming the worst would have been more beneficial. We really could use some more mid first round draft picks.

OP
OP
D

Dave64

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Your team had almost $15 million alloted to sign free agents and you will come away with nothing unless you make some sort of a trade.

#1 No Kobe

#2 No Q-Rich (Clippers are going to match the offer)

#3 No first round pick (Deng, Jackson or Iguodala could have helped)

There is no one left in free agency to help the suns...

Are you fans **** at all??

--------

This is apost off of realgm.com. I would just add no T-Mac to this list. Steve Nash and that is all just will not cut it! This is why BC sucks!

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Dave64 said:

Now you're just being abusive. I'd like to see you be GM for a day. Give it a friggin rest, will ya?

fordronken

Reaction score
Dave64 said:
Your team had almost $15 million alloted to sign free agents and you will come away with nothing unless you make some sort of a trade.

#1 No Kobe

#2 No Q-Rich (Clippers are going to match the offer)

#3 No first round pick (Deng, Jackson or Iguodala could have helped)

There is no one left in free agency to help the suns...

--------

This is apost off of realgm.com. I would just add no T-Mac to this list. Steve Nash and that is all just will not cut it! This is why BC sucks!

I dunno. I'm probably no more than one or two asterisks right now.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
There werent really that many FA's this season to be had. We needed a point guard, and we got the best available in Nash (not to mention his style of play fits perfectly with the team).

As for Q Rich, I'm still not sold on that the Clips will match. They have a history of not matching players (Odom, Miller). Furthermore the Suns arent dealing in my opinion, although I hope they keep Marion.

My point is that this team so far has made good strides in the right direction. They wanted to get a pass first pg and they did. They so far have kept the core together (something they've stressed all along). They wanted to sign Blout type center, but too many teams were overpaying, so there wasnt much they could do there. Now they are just one big lug away from really being a good young team...so Dave dont count them out or consider them offseason failures yet, because there is still a lot of time left.

OP
OP
D

Dave64

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Now you're just being abusive.
------------------------------------
This is simply wrong. I copied that post. I was not even interested in the **** at the end. I was focusing on the list above it.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For six months I have said that Kobe would stay with the Lakers. Dumping on them for not getting him misses the fact that it might have meant not getting Nash either.

Signing Okur would have been a mistake. He may do OK in Utah, but he's not worth the money. Foyle got a ridiculous amount of money. Etan Thomas was actually not that bad, but it doesn't matter because I think the Wizzards will match.

I think the Suns would have been better off signing Blount, but I respect their opinion that he was not worth the money. It would have to be a six year deal.

So they instead chose to gamble that the Clips wouldn't match on Q. They decided he has star potential and the other guys don't (passing on the Turk was a good decision IMHO). Would you prefer they play it safe and not take a chance on someone they think could be really good?

So what happens if the Clips match? The Suns may sign Ostertag, but it won't be to a long term contract. They know he would be a stopgap at best.

Is this the best option? We'll see. Considering the summer is not over and cap space is often needed in mutliteam trades, I think it is way too premature to decide it was all a big mistake.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
For six months I have said that Kobe would stay with the Lakers. Dumping on them for not getting him misses the fact that it might have meant not getting Nash either.

If the Suns had aquired Kobe and he was unable to play for being found guilty he'd just blame it on BC anyway.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Even Q got matched and we only signed Ostertag to a reasonable contract, I'm not that disappointed at all. If Amare really meant it when he said to want to improve his defense after watching the Pistons win, then we'd have good one-on-one defensive player in every position but SF. We can compete and with the remaining cap room we'd be able to do some deals during the season.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
cly2tw said:
Even Q got matched and we only signed Ostertag to a reasonable contract, I'm not that disappointed at all. If Amare really meant it when he said to want to improve his defense after watching the Pistons win, then we'd have good one-on-one defensive player in every position but SF. We can compete and with the remaining cap room we'd be able to do some deals during the season.

Actually there are two forms of "reasonable" in terms on contracts. One is the amount per year and the other is the number of years. I'm more concerned about not giving Ostertag a long term deal than the exact amount for the first year, although I would like to keep about $2.5 million available for futher deals.

OP
OP
D

Dave64

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
then we'd have good one-on-one defensive player in every position but SF
-------

You are defining Nash as a good 1 on 1 defender? Thanks for starting my day with a good belly laugh! LOL