Most exciting offseason ever??

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I know there are guys here who have been fans from the start. I only came on board in 92.

I just want to say this has to be the most exciting offseason. The front office has made moves that keeps impressing me. I feel like we have a front office that is making good moves and showing they are dedicated to winning compared to the previous bum owner. Every year its always been okay lets see what we can do. I am not saying pencil us in for a championship. I do feel like this is the best roster we have ever put together and feel like this is the best chance we have at trying to win it all.

I get we don't know whats to come but just going into the season already has me excited. Just feels good to finally have a team I feel is good and front office making great moves.

Can you guys think of a more exciting offseason than this? Forget what the team did during the season but leading up to it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course, I'm excited, but it's been more perplexing to me instead of excitement. The Suns front office is clearly operating at another level.

I'm having to learn trust as I follow along. For example, in the Bradley Beal trade, the stars had to align perfectly.

The new CBA has added another layer of complexity.

It almost feels like a game within a game and we are still learning the rules.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
New Money Suns

If a player is available and can help the team significantly then money is no object - so this is what it feels like

And watching this new and unrestrained JJ do work has given me a newfound respect for the mam - he's overpaid - he's underpaid - signing huge names with one hand and flipping off the new CBA with the other - I'd say we're having an amazing off-season

Perfect timing too - love the twins but it was nice trading some really nice home grown for some true top shelf - and that doesn't happen without cultivating our best home grown top shelf of all time - the brightest Sun to ever rise in Phx - welcome to Devinzona

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Yeah, I have to admit, I was still operating as if the luxury tax and the aprons mattered. People here were also thinking that way. How can we build a team being over the second apron? Our hands are tied. The sky is falling! Then someone here told me in a post, my thinking was out dated. It opened my eyes. If the owner doesn't care, why should I? We have four BIG contracts. Can we get a fifth? If Ishbia wants it, yes we can! I admit, I'm NOT used to this at all! LMAO!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing will top the Barkley/Ainge off-season, especially because we got to get SUPER geeked up all summer, watching Barkley dominate during the Dream Team Olympics, giving us a taste of what was to come. Throw in all the hubbub about the new arena/uniforms and that was the perfect storm.

But this is 2nd behind that during my years as a Suns fan.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the trade of Todd, I think the Suns are backfilling assets for the future. IMO, it's a smart move with few future assets.

They had to have some type of currency, even though they are second round picks, to use in the draft or trade for players.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Nothing will top the Barkley/Ainge off-season, especially because we got to get SUPER geeked up all summer, watching Barkley dominate during the Dream Team Olympics, giving us a taste of what was to come. Throw in all the hubbub about the new arena/uniforms and that was the perfect storm.

But this is 2nd behind that during my years as a Suns fan.
I think Barkley > KD, but I think Beal is WAY > than Ainge, and I like Ainge. I think Barkley is super under rated especially if you look at some of the monster games he had in the playoffs.

IDK, this offseason I put the combo of KD and Beal over Barkley and Ainge. I also think the number of guys coming in, and the upgrade over last season is huge. Barkley had a good team he was coming to. Plus, we had the angst of trading away too much for KD, and then just a couple months goes by, and everything is upgraded! All while keeping our two young guys in the process. I never thought Booker AND Ayton would still be here. I thought 100% Ayton was gone. Now that he's not so critical, I'm thinking we just roll with him, too!

This off season is in a whole different dimension than the Barkley off season. He was kinda the last domino. KD was kinda the first domino.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, I have to admit, I was still operating as if the luxury tax and the aprons mattered. People here were also thinking that way. How can we build a team being over the second apron? Our hands are tied. The sky is falling! Then someone here told me in a post, my thinking was out dated. It opened my eyes. If the owner doesn't care, why should I? We have four BIG contracts. Can we get a fifth? If Ishbia wants it, yes we can! I admit, I'm NOT used to this at all! LMAO!
They will matter.

we are just robbing Peter to pay Paul. The bills will come due.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Everything seems good on paper, but you never know how things will actually turn out.

it is starting to seem to good to be true, and I am actually beginning to worry something bad is going to happen.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Everything seems good on paper, but you never know how things will actually turn out.

it is starting to seem to good to be true, and I am actually beginning to worry something bad is going to happen.
I know! We are so used to getting screwed!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Barkley > KD, but I think Beal is WAY > than Ainge, and I like Ainge. I think Barkley is super under rated especially if you look at some of the monster games he had in the playoffs.
KD didn’t happen this off-season. Barkley didn’t come with bear the age/injuries KD either.
IDK, this offseason I put the combo of KD and Beal over Barkley and Ainge.
Except we got KD last season.
I also think the number of guys coming in, and the upgrade over last season is huge.
We signed a bunch of upside minimum contract players. We did great with what we could, but we went from a title contender to… a better title contender.

Barkley/Ainge came aboard a team that had become a playoff pretender and made them one of the two title favorites.
Barkley had a good team he was coming to.
Last year was a good team also.
Plus, we had the angst of trading away too much for KD, and then just a couple months goes by, and everything is upgraded! All while keeping our two young guys in the process. I never thought Booker AND Ayton would still be here. I thought 100% Ayton was gone. Now that he's not so critical, I'm thinking we just roll with him, too!

This off season is in a whole different dimension than the Barkley off season. He was kinda the last domino. KD was kinda the first domino.
No. KD is exactly the same kind of domino that Barkley was. Both came to 50 and fade Suns teams and were considered the big piece to make them favorites.

And again, KD came LAST season AND we’ve already seen an injury derail him plus struggle in the playoffs. As opposed to Barkley who was still totally healthy and just dominated a Dream Team full of legends.

I really think you’re misremembering the hysteria Barkley started with the Suns. One that built all summer long and never stopped… even AFTER they lost the Finals.

This has no doubt been a great and exciting offseason but I think you’re a bit of a prisoner of the moment.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I know there are guys here who have been fans from the start. I only came on board in 92.

I just want to say this has to be the most exciting offseason. The front office has made moves that keeps impressing me. I feel like we have a front office that is making good moves and showing they are dedicated to winning compared to the previous bum owner. Every year its always been okay lets see what we can do. I am not saying pencil us in for a championship. I do feel like this is the best roster we have ever put together and feel like this is the best chance we have at trying to win it all.

I get we don't know whats to come but just going into the season already has me excited. Just feels good to finally have a team I feel is good and front office making great moves.

Can you guys think of a more exciting offseason than this? Forget what the team did during the season but leading up to it.
The barkley offseason was nuts. We were getting the best player at that summers Olympics. Got ainge. If I’m not mistaken had just drafted Ollie Miller. And Dumas was set to play for us and there had been rumors about him being a good ball player. And we already had kj, majerle, chambers, west, ceballos. That squad was an incredibly talented and deep team.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The barkley offseason was nuts. We were getting the best player at that summers Olympics. Got ainge. If I’m not mistaken had just drafted Ollie Miller. And Dumas was set to play for us and there had been rumors about him being a good ball player. And we already had kj, majerle, chambers, west, ceballos. That squad was an incredibly talented and deep team.
Don’t forget Mustaf was also a killer off the bench!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
KD didn’t happen this off-season. Barkley didn’t come with bear the age/injuries KD either.

Except we got KD last season.

We signed a bunch of upside minimum contract players. We did great with what we could, but we went from a title contender to… a better title contender.

Barkley/Ainge came aboard a team that had become a playoff pretender and made them one of the two title favorites.

Last year was a good team also.

No. KD is exactly the same kind of domino that Barkley was. Both came to 50 and fade Suns teams and were considered the big piece to make them favorites.

And again, KD came LAST season AND we’ve already seen an injury derail him plus struggle in the playoffs. As opposed to Barkley who was still totally healthy and just dominated a Dream Team full of legends.

I really think you’re misremembering the hysteria Barkley started with the Suns. One that built all summer long and never stopped… even AFTER they lost the Finals.

This has no doubt been a great and exciting offseason but I think you’re a bit of a prisoner of the moment.
NOPE! I was the biggest fan of the Barkley trade. I remember it well. Also, Hysteria doesn't mean success. TBD on KD and Beal. If KBD and Beal = Larry Obrien trophy, then BY FAR this will be the best offseason ever!

What's weird is I was a big fan of Barkley, then he comes to PHX! I watched Philly games just to watch Barkley! Same with KD. I loved watching him all through his career, and then he ends up here. The two moves are similar to me because these were both essentially my favorite non Suns coming to PHX!

I count KD as this off season, since he didn't come until trade deadline, and didn't play until season end/playoff run, so only just a few months ago literally. These moves are all within months of each other. Also, these are ALL Ishbia moves! Ishbia hasn't even been an owner that long at all! To me the technicality of last season versus just a few months ago isn't that big of a difference. These are ALL Ishbia moves!

As I said it's different. I admit Barkley > KD. There weren't as many moves as we just made. We essentially created a whole new Suns team! CP3 gone! Beal in! I lost track, 7 new guys? Still moving pieces. All this under a new owner just months into the new job!

It's still the second biggest for you! It's the biggest for me. Agree to disagree! :)

EDIT: I forgot that we changed head coaches in the middle of all of this, too!

In a few short months, we changed Owners, made a huge trade for KD, changed coaches, Made another huge trade no one thought we could pull off in Beal, and then everyone thought our hands were tied, and we pull off trades for talent supposedly better than we could get, Now we trade a guy that was "worthless" for more picks we can now bundle with our trade exception! I probably still forgot something!

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I’m starting to understand how people have viewed me on the cardinals board.

Except this is my attitude when the cardinals actually suck.

LA Redbird

All Star
Reaction score
I've been a fan since like 90. Still remember KJ, Hornacek, Majerle, Perry, Chambers, Knight, Lang, West, and so on. The 92 offseason was INSANE in Phoenix. The city bus wraps. The intersection paintings. The murals everywhere. Basketball courts at the parks were emblazoned with the logo. It was just a pure Suns town. And I'm pretty sure that 92 is when AWA opened, so we had our new stadium along with Chuck. That time is very hard to replicate. However, I'm in LA, so I don't know what it's like on the ground there right now.

OP
OP
Germz249

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Maybe I was still a kid and new to the team so I didn’t notice the Barkley trade being as exciting.

Its nice to get a perspective from the older fans.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I was still a kid and new to the team so I didn’t notice the Barkley trade being as exciting.

It was absolutely bonkers. It was the first time ever that AZ sports were relevant. It can't be overstated how big it was for the town.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Charles Barkley's arrival in Phoenix was a big time event. There was even a parade after the Suns finished second in the Finals.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It was absolutely bonkers. It was the first time ever that AZ sports were relevant. It can't be overstated how big it was for the town.
IDK, it was bonkers. I am way old school, and obviously this wasn't as big a deal as Barkley, but when we got Dennis Johnson from the vaunted Celtics, it was like, WOW we can get a good player from a good team? Also, the Chambers signing went under the radar. We were getting a scoring leader in his prime. As I said, the Barkley thing was on another level, but there were things that happened with the Suns that get overlooked.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

It’s nice to get a perspective from the older fans.
It was big, real big!

Sir Charles Barkley instantly became the leader of a very good Suns team. Charles loved the fans and they loved him.

Charles gave us not only national but international respect something previous suns teams never had.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say most exciting but is definitely up there. To me though it's not really an excitement about the offseason as much as we finally have an owner who cares about winning above all else. That's what excites me. We really have not had that since the Diamondbacks went on a splurge to win the World Series.

Last edited: