Offensive Line Play?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
For us out-of-towners that didn't see the game and couldn't record it, what happened with the offensive line? I know the special teams blew up in truly embarrassing fashion. What in holy hell happened to ur OL? Who was to blame? Did anyone play well on the OL? Injuries? Inquiring out-of-town minds want to know lol

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Watford & John on the right side might as well be replaced by upside down garbage bins. They let their guy straight through unimpeded.

When Humphries went out of the game, the left side became similar.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Cameron Wake made mincemeat out of Lars Ulrich over at RT. Apparently this was not game planned for, as he was left 1 on 1 all day.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For us out-of-towners that didn't see the game and couldn't record it, what happened with the offensive line? I know the special teams blew up in truly embarrassing fashion. What in holy hell happened to ur OL? Who was to blame? Did anyone play well on the OL? Injuries? Inquiring out-of-town minds want to know lol

our line is depleted and became even more so by the end. We had Wetzel at LT (hump concussion) iupati, shipley, watford and ulrick john. Ulrick also got hurt on the last offensive play so who know who is playing this weekend.

The line is a mess of 2nd and 3rd string players. The only bonafied starter left is Iupati and he has been hobbled all year.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

So you didn't see the game? No problem.

Here is a snapshot of 2nd quarter action..........seriously, I am barely joking.

You must be registered for see images attach

The offensive line......tried. Ulrick John fared as well as you would think against Cameron Wake. Then DJ Humprhies went down, so John Wetzel went in, and he fared as well as you would think against Andre Branch.

Earl Watford, and AQ Shipley played like Earl Watford and AQ Shipley.

Finally, the reason we lost is because someone paid our special teams to make sure that no matter what the Cardinals did to win the game, that they sabotaged the ever loving crap out of the team and make sure they lose.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Earl Watford, and AQ Shipley played like Earl Watford and AQ Shipley.

I am still astounded how bad Watford is...after 4 years on the roster. He can play 5 positions, none of them very well - a true case of athletic ability not enough to make a good football player.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The arrogance of BA and Whiz before him drives me nuts. When your offensive line is in tatters, what are you doing running 1 back sets and empty backfield sets all day long? This is where a fullback is invaluable to the grand scheme of things. To not be prepared for this kind of contingency is just stupid IMO.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I noticed we haven't heard the "Next Man Up" mantra lately from BA. The WhizArians system works.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
After re-watching the game in slo-mo, not surprisingly, every OL looked bad except Iupati (but he still looks hobbled)

U John - looked like a backup, Wake manhandled him with a bull rush, although a few times we had Gresham blocking Wake - one time was when we were backed up in our endzone

Watford - terrible, he is athletic but not a good football player, he was worse than Shipley, he gave up several interior pressures which started to screw with Palmer - Palmer had a pocket several times but was antsy after getting hit so often

Shipley - meh, I think he makes mental errors on who to pick up at times unless he is supposed to let a DT run free at Palmer

Iupati - pretty good, when he beats his man, he looks for someone else to hit

Wetzel - not so good, U John actually looked more consistent than Wetzel if you add in run blocking, but Wetzel wasn't a total liability

anks106

Registered
Reaction score
As one of those out of towners who couldnt watch, seems a lot of after DJ went down being commented, did he at least play well? Its been bad, but if hes continuing to play well at LT that could be a silver lining.

Reaction score
As one of those out of towners who couldnt watch, seems a lot of after DJ went down being commented, did he at least play well? Its been bad, but if hes continuing to play well at LT that could be a silver lining.

There was a noticeable difference in protection once he went down.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There was a noticeable difference in protection once he went down.
This. I think I am on the DJ to left tackle veldheer to right tackle bandwagon. Then we just need a RG with iupati and Boehm handling the rest

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I forgot to mention Humph, better than last week, looked good. Not great, but very good. He is definitely a left tackle- Keim got one right finally

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This. I think I am on the DJ to left tackle veldheer to right tackle bandwagon. Then we just need a RG with iupati and Boehm handling the rest

How could you possibly be sold on Boehm as the starting C for next season? Based on what, pray tell?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How could you possibly be sold on Boehm as the starting C for next season? Based on what, pray tell?
:shrug: I've liked the little I have seen and wouldn't be surprised if he is better than shipley

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
So if Humphries doesn't pass the concussion protocol then the Oline for this Sunday is

LT Wetzel
LG Iupati
C Shipley
RG Toner
RT Watford

Boehm and Boggs are listed as centers unless they shift Shipley to a guard position and insert Boehm at center.

I think I will take out a life insurance policy on Palmer. Pretty sure I will collect on it.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
BTW, some posters call for max protection or keeping the RB in to block, they tried that and it failed. When every lineman is bad, the holes are everywhere. When they went to 5 and released the TEs immediately, with DJ being an option, purely short game,we had success (2 TDs).

It would have worked in the final drive as well if palmer didn't fumble and then start to rush things...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard