Not meaning to insult or stiffle discourse,

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but the silliest things I read on this board every year during the pre-draft discussions are variations of this:

"...that's too high for him."
"...no way he lasts that long."
"...#10 is too high for him, #15 is where he should go."

The message Denny Green sends out every year is simple: if you like a guy, go get him.

Both Denny and Rod were quite clear in this morning's interview that the Cards shape their board based partly on need so that tells me the Cards board looks very different from Kiper's board or the War room board.

Rambling on some more, and changing tacks, the last month's draft posts, combined with the articles by Harry Greene, Ed Burmila and Gary Jones, resulted (in my biased opinion) in some of the best arguments and threads ASFN has ever had.

Very few insults (thank you for the restraint and a large thank you to the mods for handling the few problems), greatly diverse opinions and lots of people participating made for a wonderful month.

I'm down to two finger typing so I don't acknowledge many of the better posters, and there have been many. Those of you who take the time to write here carry the board. Have you noticed how many "unregistered" guests read your stuff? Usually, there are more guests on here than registered users and that means your stuff is worth reading.

I am not a draftnik but I read everything. My "needs based/bpa" Cards board would be built a la Jeff Gollin but be different. It would look something like this:

1. Cutler
2. Ngata
3. Bunckley
4. Hawk
5. Young

QB and run stuffer are our top two needs, then I'd take OG or FS.

I have confidence in Denny Green, Rod Graves, and Steve Kiem to draft well. Whatever they do, I'll support.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I too, will support whoever we take. It's hard to say "I don't want" this guy when you don't know who else will still be available.

An example is, I don't want Cutler , if Huff is still there.

I think our pick is going to come down to Cutler, Ngata, or Sims.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I too, will support whoever we take.
Me too. What choice do we have?

Having said that, I must confess to have thrown one my wife's favorite vases at the wall after we passed on Suggs and traded down to #17 and #18.

(Note: Vase - unlike Tom Knight and a couple of other Cardinal hopefuls - did not break).

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't know Skkorp. I don't mind the "he won't last that long" discussions, as anyone who follows football as a whole, generally can gauge the interest in a top player. It's the 3rd, 4th and 5th round prognosticators that irk me. I agree though with the "that's too high" argument. I trust DG too, and feel he and the staff know exactly what they want out of the draft.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Billy Flynt said:
I say we take the vase if he's still there in the 3rd.

Nah, we should trade down and take two planters in the sixth. Planters better in the long term.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Mulli808 said:
Nah, we should trade down and take two planters in the sixth. Planters better in the long term.

I dunno. Vase seems very durable. He can take a lick and come back for more.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:

Having said that, I must confess to have thrown one my wife's favorite vases at the wall after we passed on Suggs and traded down to #17 and #18.

(Note: Vase - unlike Tom Knight and a couple of other Cardinal hopefuls - did not break).

Put all valuables out of easy reach on draft and game day. (I thought you knew this, Jeff!)

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Capital Card said:
Yea, but the vase must not have any speed as Jeff caught him, and he can't shed a block as he obviously got thrown. I say trade down for the two planters.

Go Cards!!!

The planters have the wrong body type for our defense. we don't need wide bodies, we need sleek guys that can hold their water at the line.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Billy Flynt said:
I say we take the vase if he's still there in the 3rd.

You picked the most expensive vase in the place. You're a natural.

The Shark

Sopranos' reference

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
jefftheshark said:
You picked the most expensive vase in the place. You're a natural.Sopranos' reference
Actually, I picked the "best available vase."

Speaking of that - I recall Bill Belicheck (in a rare moment of levity) tell a reporter one year that he picked "the best available Williams."

I tried to do a "best available Williams" mock draft this year, but found I could only accomplish this by "cheating" on the Scouts Inc. ratings. For what it's worth, here it is -

1. Mario Williams DE NC State (alt. De Angelo Williams RB Memphis)
2. Demetrius Williams WR Ore
3. Travis Williams OLB Auburn (Brandon Williams WR Wisc)
4. TJ Williams TE NC St
5. Leon Williams ILB Miami (rated 4th round by Scouts Inc.
6. Jamar Williams OLB ASU (rated 4th round by Scouts Inc.)
7. Ricky Williams RS Bethune Cookman

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
you like a guy, go get him.

i used to say if a horse is going to win a race he can't read the tote board and does not know the odds he is going off...something like if a guy is going to be good he is not going to be any better/worse if he is drafted 1 or 21...karols dansby was a legit first round pick and for whatever the reason we got lucky to get him in round 2.would he be any better if a top 10 pick .....dockett was a legit 2 and we again lucked out in round 3...i think we will see the same with brown/blackman/greene.....after all is said and done with the combines, tests, interviews and all the BS...the bottom line is watching a guy play and if he has the passion for the game he is a winner.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:

LMAO

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can't even agree on our top needs. No way the OL isn't our top need. QB is after DL also.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
Both Denny and Rod were quite clear in this morning's interview that the Cards shape their board based partly on need so that tells me the Cards board looks very different from Kiper's board or the War room board.

Exactly - thats why we took two CB's on the first day last yr. Not because they were BPA. But BPA for our particular needs.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort