Non All AZ Fans Suck

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cant and chose ya busters..

Either support then all or your much like a politician or a parent saying just do as I say..

AZ is your home.. love it or go else where..

Can you honestly try to explain to your children loyalty? Then turn around and root for an out of town team? Think about it...

OP
OP
Gee!

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My mind is blown thinking how people can root for other teams other than AZ..

I may not be an AZ native, but I was brought here by my mom at age 5.. She was a life long GB Packers fan but gave all that up when the Cards got here..

Do the lakers have a longer history than the packers? no, they dont..

This is AZ and we should teach tem about this state, not what your parents came from..

This is your home, treat it as such, or or just clouding your childrens minds..

Skratchy_Seal

Registered
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's my point of view...

I was born and raised in Phoenix...West Phoenix, since I know you're from there. I now live in Oklahoma, where most of the population consider the Texas pro teams (especially the Cowboys) as their home team.

Even if I live in Texas, there is absolutely no way I would ditch my loyalty for the AZ teams, including ASU.

Yes, I did wish the Hornets made the playoffs when they were here, but they are nothing to me compared to the Suns. Everyone I know in Oklahoma knows that I'm a huge Suns and Cardinals fan.

Every Friday, I wear my ASU hat to work. When it was winter I wore my ASU beanie instead. I never even went to ASU, but that's who I grew up cheering for. If my kids want to root for the local team (any Texas team), that's fine with me, but I'm not changing my loyalties.

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Suns fan
Cubs fan
University of Nebraska fan
Duke University fan

That sums it up for me.

Other than the Cubs it looks like you are Mr. Frontrunner.

Don't pick and choose the teams you root for, root for all the AZ teams or none.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cheer for whatever teams you want. Who cares.

:thumbup:

This isn't a turf war. It is sports. I guess all the St. Louis based football Cardinals fans who stayed loyal to the team in some way are wrong, because they should be Rams fans.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
Other than the Cubs it looks like you are Mr. Frontrunner.

Don't pick and choose the teams you root for, root for all the AZ teams or none.

LOL.

Grew up in South Dakota. No pro sports teams.

However had WGN, CBS which always aired Vikings/Cowboys games and Duke is generally one of the more nationally televised college teams in America.

The Cornhuskers are of nearby Lincoln and were always aired locally as well.

I also lived in Nebraska, North Dakota, New Mexico, and now reside in Arizona.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you honestly try to explain to your children loyalty? Then turn around and root for an out of town team?

Um, many people root for the teams there parents did. They just arent Arizona teams.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Gee, I feel much as you do. I know I'm stabbing my Phialdelphia brethren in the back each time I root for an eagles loss. That's just the way it's gotta be. Especially as I sit with most of my mortal enemies at Flyers, Sixers and Phillies games. I look at my Cards fandom as a quirk. A good one, but a quirk nevertheless.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Born in Alabama, moved to Arizona at age 2 in 1971. I had nothing preventing me from rooting for the pro sports teams. If Alabama ever plays ASU in college football, I've got a real dilemma on my hands, though.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cheer for whatever teams you want. Who cares.

No crap. I support most AZ teams, but that doesn't make you any less of a sports fan if you like Duke, or Nebraska, or Florida State football.

Unequivocally supporting all AZ teams, no matter what kind of example that they set isn't any good either.

Get off of your "AZ sports only" high horse. The world operates in shades of grey.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No crap. I support most AZ teams, but that doesn't make you any less of a sports fan if you like Duke, or Nebraska, or Florida State football.

Unequivocally supporting all AZ teams, no matter what kind of example that they set isn't any good either.

Get off of your "AZ sports only" high horse. The world operates in shades of grey.

:wave:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's an issue to those closest to the teams/programs, because Phoenix doesn't support their teams like, say, Boston or Philly. The hope is to create a hometown fervor that generates serious fans ... and a real sports town.

You can't really call Phoenix a serious sports town. It's just a city with lots of sports teams, and a collective group of fans whose interest rises and wanes depending on the success of the team. For example, people are currently holding their breath with the D-Backs. They're hitting between 18K and 21K attendance for a home game. That's a good way to ensure the team will never be able afford free-agents or large salary players. That number needs to get closer to 30K.

I can't really blame someone who has something really emotionally invested in the parochial aspect of sports. I can't really blame them wanting their neighbors to feel the same. Go to Pittsburgh and see what kind of community the Steelers create. That's special, but I doubt Phoenix will ever experience that kind of loyalty or sports community. Just like at how the people on this list are split.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's an issue to those closest to the teams/programs, because Phoenix doesn't support their teams like, say, Boston or Philly. The hope is to create a hometown fervor that generates serious fans ... and a real sports town.

You can't really call Phoenix a serious sports town. It's just a city with lots of sports teams, and a collective group of fans whose interest rises and wanes depending on the success of the team. For example, people are currently holding their breath with the D-Backs. They're hitting between 18K and 21K attendance for a home game. That's a good way to ensure the team will never be able afford free-agents or large salary players. That number needs to get closer to 30K.

I can't really blame someone who has something really emotionally invested in the parochial aspect of sports. I can't really blame them wanting their neighbors to feel the same. Go to Pittsburgh and see what kind of community the Steelers create. That's special, but I doubt Phoenix will ever experience that kind of loyalty or sports community. Just like at how the people on this list are split.

Good post G!

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If I wasn't allowed to root for the Suns, who else would stand up at Blazer/Suns games yelling how much the Blazers suck? My Suns need and depend on me. I've rooted for my favorite teams in Basketball, football, and baseball since I was a little kid, nothin' gonna change that, not some home town homer, not nothin'.

PHXDragon

Rookie
Reaction score
I like the Suns. At least they try to win. The backs were good when they got here. Now they got no identity. And I wish the other teams would at least try to win at least make an attempt like they care not just show up to pick up a paycheck.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The problem with Phoenix is that this city is still growing. People are moving from places like Philly and Boston here, and keeping their allegiances. In 20 or 30 years, Phoenix will probably be like those cities. It takes a while for people to lose those allegiances. People here don't leave season tickets to their loved ones when they pass away. No one has been here long enough, and there is not a 10 year wait to get tickets like some other cities.

If the Suns, or the Cards ever win a championship, things will change. The Diamondbacks aren't enough to change the sports culture here.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I guess all the St. Louis based football Cardinals fans who stayed loyal to the team in some way are wrong, because they should be Rams fans.

I think so. I cheer for the ARIZONA Cardinals and Diamondbacks and the PHOENIX Suns and Coyotes, and the ARIZONA State Sun Devils. If any of the Valleys pro teams moved, I'd completely lose interest, but thats just me.

If you aren't routing for the home team, or the team of the home town you were raised in, why are you rooting for them? That just seems weird to me. Do people randomly front run as kids and then stick with that team?

I "root root root for the home team," I guess thats weird.

Go Suns, Dbacks, Coyotes, Cards, Sun Devils, Rattlers, Mercury, Roadrunners, and whoever else I'm leaving out!:p

The problem with Phoenix is that this city is still growing. People are moving from places like Philly and Boston here, and keeping their allegiances. In 20 or 30 years, Phoenix will probably be like those cities. It takes a while for people to lose those allegiances. People here don't leave season tickets to their loved ones when they pass away. No one has been here long enough, and there is not a 10 year wait to get tickets like some other cities.

If the Suns, or the Cards ever win a championship, things will change. The Diamondbacks aren't enough to change the sports culture here.

Great post, I totally agree. For instance, I'm 23, I was born and raised in Phoenix, and I love all the home teams. As the city continues to grow, and there are more natives like me, we will see more Phoenix/Az only sports fans. As people forget more and more about Iowa, Illinois, Pennsylvania or where ever there from and go to the local games, they may switch allegiances.

I think the youngness of Phoenix actually affects it in much worse ways than sports though. I think in a way, its what leads to so many of the Valleys soulless, all the same, stucco and tile 'burbs that have no identity, no sense of community and no history. But as familys stay in one place for a long time, business become more established, etc., perhaps we'll see more unique areas growing around the valley.

I like the Suns. At least they try to win. The backs were good when they got here. Now they got no identity. And I wish the other teams would at least try to win at least make an attempt like they care not just show up to pick up a paycheck.

The Dbacks have no identity? Huh? I love watching the current youth movement, its great. Its not as shiny and glorious and 'Johnson and Schilling and God willing", but this team is really starting to endear itself to me.

Last edited:

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I think so. I cheer for the ARIZONA Cardinals and Diamondbacks and the PHOENIX Suns and Coyotes, and the ARIZONA State Sun Devils. If any of the Valleys pro teams moved, I'd completely lose interest, but thats just me.

If you aren't routing for the home team, or the team of the home town you were raised in, why are you rooting for them? That just seems weird to me. Do people randomly front run as kids and then stick with that team?

I "root root root for the home team," I guess thats weird.

Go Suns, Dbacks, Coyotes, Cards, Sun Devils, Rattlers, Mercury, Roadrunners, and whoever else I'm leaving out!:p

Great post, I totally agree. For instance, I'm 23, I was born and raised in Phoenix, and I love all the home teams. As the city continues to grow, and there are more natives like me, we will see more Phoenix/Az only sports fans. As people forget more and more about Iowa, Illinois, Pennsylvania or where ever there from and go to the local games, they may switch allegiances.

I think the youngness of Phoenix actually affects it in much worse ways than sports though. I think in a way, its what leads to so many of the Valleys soulless, all the same, stucco and tile 'burbs that have no identity, no sense of community and no history. But as familys stay in one place for a long time, business become more established, etc., perhaps we'll see more unique areas growing around the valley.

The Dbacks have no identity? Huh? I love watching the current youth movement, its great. Its not as shiny and glorious and 'Johnson and Schilling and God willing", but this team is really starting to endear itself to me.

Guys and girls usually follow their dad/mom and who they root for. Some bandwagon, but most follow their parents. Good thing my dad taught me to root for the home team, even though he's a pretty weak fan now.

jpjapes

Registered
Reaction score
Guys and girls usually follow their dad/mom and who they root for. Some bandwagon, but most follow their parents. Good thing my dad taught me to root for the home team, even though he's a pretty weak fan now.

Yup, you got a good point there.
Both of my parents are pretty die-hard sports fans...
Dads from Boston, Moms from Seattle

Guess who I root for?

D'BACKS, SUNS, CARDS, WILDCATS, RATTLERS, MERCURY, hell even the FIREBIRDS

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson