No Country for Old Men

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i don't say this often to people, but Chris, if you really believe the Sherriff's talk with the other sherriff and his dream at the end were pointless, meaningless ramblings that had nothing to do with the movie, I think the movie just went over your head.

And why would you bring Memento or Suspects into this convo? I see Yuma brought up Fight Club as a love it or hate it movie, but the others, along with Fight Club really have nothing to do with No Country. Each one of those movies duped the viewer into watching what essentially was a lie before the big reveal that changed everything you just watched. No Country had no twist, it was about as straight forward as movies come, if unconventional in it's way to weave it's story. That just strikes me as an odd thing to say, besides the issue that there are GAPING plot holes in those movies as well (all of which I find to be relatively brilliant as well), even more so than No Country (which I don't really see as having plot holes anyway).

But to each his own.

No I got that the director wanted me to feel mortality, especially with the dream of the dad waiting in what was effectively death. Had the terminator not been the villian in the movie, it may have had some sort of effect. That's why it is pointless. You can't expect me to empathize with a cowardly sheriff fearing his mortality when you have a cartoon character of a villian that absolutely no one is interested in catching while he rampages through the movie.

Had we actually had conflict resolution (you know story writing 101), it may have had an effect. There is none of that. The movie should be titled "**** happens" because that is pretty much the story. Random coincidences that forward a plot to nothing.

This is counter culture movie-ism at it's finest. You crap out a turd of a flick and slap "art flim" on it and the critics go all ga ga on it. The movie snobs jump on it because it is an "art film" and voila "Oscar". Along the way someone forgot to make something that actually entertains the viewer.

Witness your discussion groups trying to find the meaning. Let me help with that:

The villian is two dimensional. He has the same tired pseudo morality you see in other films in an attempt to come across as cool. He wanders the countryside killing at will and without any real repercussions. He is immune to things like shock from massive wounds. In a matter of days he can shrug off shotgun blasts or walk away from crashes with bones sticking out of his body and never going into shock. In short, he is a crappy version of the terminator. His acting is about as wooden though as he shows no emotion at any time about anything and speaks in a completely monotone, deep, gravely voice (director would say "always threatening"). He does rip off a pretty famous batman villian with his "flipping this coin will decide if you die" routine.

Your main protagonist is a survivalist bad ass. Of course he was in vietnam because we want to completely nail the cliche. He is so adept at spotting potential ambushes, he foils the villians at every turn. That is until he is killed off camera and we don't know how or why.

Your secondary protagonist is a cowardly sheriff who reluctantly brushes with death and eventually settles for a quiet retirement that he hates. He never has the money. The interaction (or lack there of) in the hotel room is only to create some tension in a movie desperately searching for it.

Your main secondary villian is a charming killer with a heart. One so reputable he can track down a man he knows nothing about in a few days but can't get over a fence to get what he came for. His death is so anti climactic you figure he must be awfully new at this life of crime.

Your big villian behind the scenes in on screen for maybe 5 minutes. Enough to hire the incompetent main secondary villian, establish that "yes a rich white guy is indeed behind all these shenanigans", and to die. He dies in a large office building in the middle of day in a bustling metropolis. Somehow no description of the killer is made known nor does someone care that a rich white guy was just blown away in his office.

Your protagonist's love interest is a moron. Knowing that her husband is in deep trouble and they will likely need to be on the run, she drags along her stereotypical loud mouthed mother in law. Fortunately for her the police are equally stupid and don't put her under police protection despite the serial killer on the loose and likely gunning for her. She gets the same off screen death as the rest of her family.

Sundry secondary characters also die relatively pointless deaths in the movie. Since the characters in the movie don't care that they are dead, I really don't either.

I believe that about sums it up.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fading out? That was a SMASH TO BLACK! Wow, you really don't know what happened at the end do you? ;)

No it's worse. I didn't care. I am sure he died off camera like everyone else. Woo. Whatta filming masterpiece.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No I got that the director wanted me to feel mortality, especially with the dream of the dad waiting in what was effectively death. Had the terminator not been the villian in the movie, it may have had some sort of effect. That's why it is pointless. You can't expect me to empathize with a cowardly sheriff fearing his mortality when you have a cartoon character of a villian that absolutely no one is interested in catching while he rampages through the movie.

Had we actually had conflict resolution (you know story writing 101), it may have had an effect. There is none of that. The movie should be titled "**** happens" because that is pretty much the story. Random coincidences that forward a plot to nothing.

This is counter culture movie-ism at it's finest. You crap out a turd of a flick and slap "art flim" on it and the critics go all ga ga on it. The movie snobs jump on it because it is an "art film" and voila "Oscar". Along the way someone forgot to make something that actually entertains the viewer.

Witness your discussion groups trying to find the meaning. Let me help with that:

The villian is two dimensional. He has the same tired pseudo morality you see in other films in an attempt to come across as cool. He wanders the countryside killing at will and without any real repercussions. He is immune to things like shock from massive wounds. In a matter of days he can shrug off shotgun blasts or walk away from crashes with bones sticking out of his body and never going into shock. In short, he is a crappy version of the terminator. His acting is about as wooden though as he shows no emotion at any time about anything and speaks in a completely monotone, deep, gravely voice (director would say "always threatening"). He does rip off a pretty famous batman villian with his "flipping this coin will decide if you die" routine.

Your main protagonist is a survivalist bad ass. Of course he was in vietnam because we want to completely nail the cliche. He is so adept at spotting potential ambushes, he foils the villians at every turn. That is until he is killed off camera and we don't know how or why.

Your secondary protagonist is a cowardly sheriff who reluctantly brushes with death and eventually settles for a quiet retirement that he hates. He never has the money. The interaction (or lack there of) in the hotel room is only to create some tension in a movie desperately searching for it.

Your main secondary villian is a charming killer with a heart. One so reputable he can track down a man he knows nothing about in a few days but can't get over a fence to get what he came for. His death is so anti climactic you figure he must be awfully new at this life of crime.

Your big villian behind the scenes in on screen for maybe 5 minutes. Enough to hire the incompetent main secondary villian, establish that "yes a rich white guy is indeed behind all these shenanigans", and to die. He dies in a large office building in the middle of day in a bustling metropolis. Somehow no description of the killer is made known nor does someone care that a rich white guy was just blown away in his office.

Your protagonist's love interest is a moron. Knowing that her husband is in deep trouble and they will likely need to be on the run, she drags along her stereotypical loud mouthed mother in law. Fortunately for her the police are equally stupid and don't put her under police protection despite the serial killer on the loose and likely gunning for her. She gets the same off screen death as the rest of her family.

Sundry secondary characters also die relatively pointless deaths in the movie. Since the characters in the movie don't care that they are dead, I really don't either.

I believe that about sums it up.

Chris, how can I have a discussion with you about the bigger picture when you don't even know what's going on with the small details. It was wife's mother! Not her mother-in-law! :)

And now that you've proven that everyone here who liked this movie are just lemmings or movie snobs and you are the supreme being of "story telling 101", I have but a line from Stripes for you: Lighten Up Francis! ;)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and Chris, you hated Fargo and thought that the Big Lebowski looked like a stupid bowling movie right? Me thinks you shouldn't waste your time watching any Coen Brother's movie ever again because they sure don't seem to cater to your taste in film (note: not saying your taste is good or bad, just that it sure as hell ain't the Coen's Brothers).

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and Chris, you hated Fargo and thought that the Big Lebowski looked like a stupid bowling movie right? Me thinks you shouldn't waste your time watching any Coen Brother's movie ever again because they sure don't seem to cater to your taste in film (note: not saying your taste is good or bad, just that it sure as hell ain't the Coen's Brothers).

Big Lebowski did look like a stupid bowling movie. I still have never seen it nor do I have any desire to.

Fargo was alright. I thought the accents were overdone to the point of distraction but outside of that it was okay.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris, how can I have a discussion with you about the bigger picture when you don't even know what's going on with the small details. It was wife's mother! Not her mother-in-law! :)

And now that you've proven that everyone here who liked this movie are just lemmings or movie snobs and you are the supreme being of "story telling 101", I have but a line from Stripes for you: Lighten Up Francis! ;)

Sorry I meant the main protagonist's mother in law. Could she have been more stereotypical? I can't imagine how. It would be darkly comical (almost genius really) that Llewelyn's mother in law was literally the death of him if his death actually seemed to matter at all in the scope of the film.

I should lighten up about the movie. You are right there. It just irritates me when I waste time and money on something that I ultimately detested. I felt the same way after watching the Departed.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arent you the stickler for realism?

I have a lot of friends from that area of the country. They don't talk like that to that level.

It would be like watching a movie shot in Mexico where everyone talked like speedy gonzales.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big Lebowski did look like a stupid bowling movie.

it's not.

I still have never seen it nor do I have any desire to.

yeah, I'd say that's a good move on your part. Big L's not for everyone either.

Fargo was alright. I thought the accents were overdone to the point of distraction but outside of that it was okay.

ever seen Raising Arizona? I'm not sure why, but I think that's one Coen Brother's movie you'd like.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And to clarify, I am not so much of a stickler for realism if the movie does not define itself by trying to be realistic.

If I am watching Lord of the Rings or the Matrix or whatever, I don't care about realism per say as long as it fits within the confine of the world.

If I am watching a gritty crime movie, then I don't want the holes in the film to distract me from the story.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry I meant the main protagonist's mother in law. Could she have been more stereotypical? I can't imagine how. It would be darkly comical (almost genius really) that Llewelyn's mother in law was literally the death of him if his death actually seemed to matter at all in the scope of the film.

I should lighten up about the movie. You are right there. It just irritates me when I waste time and money on something that I ultimately detested. I felt the same way after watching the Departed.

I'm with you on The Departed. Scorcese's right up there with the Coen's as far as my favorite directors and I REALLY wanted to like it when I saw it and even thought it was okay the first time I saw it, but then, good god did that movie deteriorate upon future viewings. The fact that Marty won an Oscar for that piece of drek was a joke to me. I mean Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Goodfellas... and his best director oscar is for The Departed? That whole thing wreaked of a lifetime achievement/we're sorry for screwing you Oscar that year. I mean, they even brought out "The Legends" of Spielberg, Lucas and Coppola (all the "raging bull" pioneers from the 70's) to announce who was going to win. Like they were going to open up the envelope and hand it to Clint for some movie about the Japanese soldiers' story at Iwo Jima (which should have won).

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to watch Juno next and hope it suits me better.

I watched Little Miss Sunshine after the Departed and it seemed like a masterpiece. lol.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I just watched the end of it finally. It took 2 1/2 weeks to watch this movie and I love films. I love art films. The ending was freaking pointless. The entire movie is pointless.

Fading out after some ramble about a pointless dream? Really?

The worst part is that it took so long to watch this hunk of crap I now own it by virtue of "If you keep this movie too long you own it"

Yeah, I guess it was wrapped up for me, but then I took the ending completely different than anyone else. On Internet Movie Data Base, one critic that reviewed it said it was left vague on purpose to allow different interpretations. I guess there's no one right ending. :(

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I am going to watch Juno next and hope it suits me better.

I watched Little Miss Sunshine after the Departed and it seemed like a masterpiece. lol.

For a "fluff" movie, Little Miss Sunshine had a lot of stuff going down in it. I had to watch it twice because of my kids, and it was amazingly layered for a "fluff" movie.

PS: I drove down a street here in Minden, Nevada, and they have an office for Little Miss Douglas County! I almost drove the car off the road laughing.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Just re-watched it. I liked it even more the 2nd time. Probably moves into my top 10. The tension created throughout the entire film is unbelievable. It just never lets up, not for one second.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are one strange bird.
I thought the movie was seriously overrated. I don't think I would say it was stupid, but I think the violence was gratuitous and the story was just kinda run of the mill, crime novel Ed McBain type stuff.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I thought the movie was seriously overrated. I don't think I would say it was stupid, but I think the violence was gratuitous and the story was just kinda run of the mill, crime novel Ed McBain type stuff.

I disagree about the gratuitous violence. Chigurh was a stone-cold killer, pure evil. I thought the detail of the violent scenes was completely necessary and fit the character.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree about the gratuitous violence. Chigurh was a stone-cold killer, pure evil. I thought the detail of the violent scenes was completely necessary and fit the character.
Agreed. The violence was matter-of-fact rather than gratuitous, IMO.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. The violence was matter-of-fact rather than gratuitous, IMO.
Here is the thing, the violence was probably fitting for the movie, but I asked everyone I knew who saw it before I did if it was violent/bloody. They all said no, not really. Then I went to see it with my dainty 65 year old auntie.

Guess what, it was bloody and violent. and the scenes of him operating in himself were extra bloody. So I guess my problem is really with the people I asked about it.

I also didn;t really care for the Woody Harrelson character. What was the point of that? Waste of time to me.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also didn;t really care for the Woody Harrelson character. What was the point of that? Waste of time to me.
No--he was central to the movie. He taught the ragtag bunch of players --especially Coffee Black-- to play the game as it's meant to be played: unselfishly. He advanced the whole movie.

er, I mean, he took what he thought was an Amish-bowling-phenom-turned-out-to-be-slightly-above-average bowler and made him a champion.

Oh, wait....nevermind.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No--he was central to the movie. He taught the ragtag bunch of players --especially Coffee Black-- to play the game as it's meant to be played: unselfishly. He advanced the whole movie.

er, I mean, he took what he thought was an Amish-bowling-phenom-turned-out-to-be-slightly-above-average bowler and made him a champion.

Oh, wait....nevermind.

:lmao:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard