Game 2 Takeaways

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
* David Johnson's 108 yard kickoff return TD---a total work of art for a number of reasons: (1) that we have a HC who wants the ball to start the game---if the HC defers, this play never happens; (2) the fact that Johnson decided to return the kick 8 yards deep in the end zone---last time a Cardinals' KO returner did that he fumbled the ball away and turned a close playoff game on the road into a blowout; (3) the fact that Johnson didn't over-run to compensate for catching the ball so deep in the end zone, which is typically a natural thing for a KO returner to do, knowing he is probably going to get chewed out if he doesn't make it at least back to the 20 yard line; (4) most impressively, the Cardinals' blockers had prevented any cover men to penetrate the blocking wall so that Johnson's return path wasn't altered and slowed; (5) the sustaining of the blocks---Alani Fua, for example, still had his man tied up when Johnson was motoring toward the far end zone; (6) that Johnson looked like a Hummer on cruise control, so wide and sturdy on a smooth power churn. It like watching pure speed and power in slow, easy motion.

* Now---as most of you probably feared, it can be a mixed blessing to start the game on a kickoff return TD. It's kind of like a 10 handicapper birdying the first hole in golf---it's such a sweet surprise that gets the adrenaline flowing---but it's pretty challenging to stay grounded and not to have it quicken your swing a little---and it's hard not to start putting too much expectations on yourself. Thus, the worry for BA and the coaches must have been to make sure the team doesn't start to think this was going top be a piece of cake game.

* In a way---it may have been good that the Bears responded well and tied the game because that erased any "easy win" thoughts and got the crowd into the game. The TD play itself was a mental lapse on the Cardinals' secondary---it looked like Patrick Peterson thought he had a switch called on an outside pick or rub maneuver out of the Bears' bunch formation---but Jerraud Powers either didn't know there was a switch or there was and he just stayed with his man anyway, thinking that of course on 3rd down Jay Cutler would try to pass toward the sticks---and thus the underneath route was double teamed and young, unheralded Josh Bellamy, playing in place of sidelined stud Alshon Jeffery, was wide open deep and too far up the sideline to be caught by Rashad Johnson the FS.

* It was great to see Carson Palmer and the offense retake the lead on an 8 play 65 yard drive which was keyed by a clutch 11 yard third and 9 completion to John Brown on a quick slant---then a 42 yard PI penalty when Palmer under-threw a streaking Brown up the right sideline---and finished off by a brilliant call by BA, a "hide" slot WR inside screen to Jaron Brown, who blocked the edge man, slipped inside of Jared Veldheer, caught the quick flip pas and busted ahead for 6 yards and the TD. Second week in a row a timing "hide" play called and executed to perfection by BA, Palmer and the offense.

* On the following Bears' possession, the worry I felt and one that you probably felt too was that the ever-sly John Fox and offensive coordinator Adam Gase were throwing a clever wrinkle at rookie DC James Bettcher and the Cardinals' defense, in having Jay Cutler suddenly run speed options and a myriad of deception plays, which produced some wide open runs and good throws on the run by Cutler---who was 8 for 8 to start the game and looking about as good certainly as I have ever seen the hugely-inconsistent Cutler perform. TE Bennett took a pass right to the 1 yard line and rookie RB Langford pounded it in to make it a 14-14 game.

* In-game adjustments on wrinkle packages like the one the Bears were running are extremely difficult to make, especially for a first-time DC. Those wrinkles can create chaos on the field and on the sidelines in between series.

* Thus I was hoping the Cardinals could just keep a lead going into the locker room for half-time so that Bettcher with the help of his veteran assistants such as LB coach Bob Sanders could make the proper adjustments.

* Therefore, I was especially happy and impressed to see Palmer and the offense respond yet again with a 9 play 80 yard TD drive which featured a diet of 3-4 yard Chris Johnson runs, a 13 yard pass to John Brown on a third and ten, a 7 yard pass to Larry Fitzgerald, yet another 38 yard PI call on a deep pass to John Brown and this time a perfectly executed slant pass TD to Fitz thrown where only Fitz could catch the ball.

* Moreover, worried about what the defense was going to do to try to stop the speed option and play action off of it---Tony Jefferson's interception of a badly thrown Cutler pass to Bennett and TD return which apparently caused Cutler a strained hamstring was astonishing---not only did it put the Cardinals up 28-14, it had to be one of the first times in my 55 years as a fan that I have seen the Cardinals score TDs in all three phases of the game IN ONE HALF!

* To see Cutler walking off the field was kind of surreal---he didn't look hurt and he didn't act like he was hurt. I could be 100% wrong about this---but I wondered if Cutler was not too happy being asked to be an option QB in this game. And perhaps the what i thought was inadvertent helmet to helmet hit from Rashad Johnson who tried to lead with his shoulder might have rattled Cutler some.

*In any event, out goes Cutler (and the speed option wrinkle with him), in comes Jimmy Clausen and he is clearly out of synch...except that J.J. Nelson (Patrick Peterson had been back for the previous punt, why not this one so late in the half?) has the ensuing punt go right through his hands like an NBA swish from long range---good that Clausen continues to struggle because the defense forces a FG---and then Palmer throws the tip interception to Jared Allen, on what BA admitted was a bad call in that situation, and he even warned Palmer not to get the ball tipped after saying the pass would be wide open---the fact that the WR quick screen was to Nelson who has just muffed the punt shows that BA wanted to get Nelson's head back into the game, but even under normal circumstances Nelson may be fast, but he is very likely to get pounded by the LB or FS on that play, and Nelson did have fumble issues in college.

* However, thanks to some stout tackling near the goal-line by Tony Jefferson and company, the defense was able to keep the Bears to another a FG, which was big.

* Equally big and I know this meant a lot to BA, this time the defense came out to start the second half and did what it usually did when Todd Bowles was making half-time adjustments---it got the ball quickly back into the hands of the offense, thanks to a superb zone-type read on an in route by Patrick Peterson, who snatched the interception. BA was very disappointed that the defense gave up a big play to start the second half last week---thus, this turnover was timely and reassuring.

* Enter three cagy veterans (Palmer, Chris Johnson and Fitzgerald) and an immensely talented rookie RB (David "The Red Hummer" Johnson) and a determined offensive line and they took complete command of the game in the second half.

* Yes, Palmer got hit more than anyone would want---once on a horrible low cheap shot that thank goodness was flagged and that Palmer's linemen made a vocal statement on afterward, but didn't incur a flag of their own (good poise there)---but, when BA goes 0 backfields Palmer is going to get hit sometimes---it's just the way it is. But, Palmer is so tough-minded and tough physically that for the success he has in exploiting his mismatches out of the spread, he's eager and undeterred. Just like Warner was.

* The offensive line deserves a great deal of credit for 240 yards rushing in 2 games, 0 sacks and 9 TDs. Mike Iupati and Bobby Massie are due to return this week---but I am certain the coaches are a little reluctant to mess with the current chemistry and it wouldn't surprise me if they wait another week to make changes. Iupati did experience a little swelling after practicing in limited fashion last week, so maybe it would be prudent to gibe him a little more rehab time---and Earl Watford has been playing his tail off at RT which has prompted Steve Keim to say he has "earned the right to be on the field."

* I think BA kept running plays because he had been trying to get the offense reps all day after losing the first possession to the kickoff TD.

* Surreal too to see Fitz twice hugging Antrel Rolle after plays and Rolle hugging Fitz back.

* I hear and understand the reservations about the defense and in particular the lack of pass rush---but I think we have found a legitimate playmaker in Josh Mauro---he and Calais make quite the tall, rangy and aggressive tandem. We did see Rucker finally get some penetration. And our secondary is making plays all over the field. Add Kevin Minter who is now stride for stride in coverage but needs to look back for the ball (which takes time with how fast the play in the NFL is)...but he's making progress.

* Very encouraging too to see the work they did during the week to prepare for the screen passes---Deone showed exactly what an ILB needs to do to blow up the screen before it has a chance and Calais Campbell showed how to shadow the RB when he smells screen. That's significant progress---and what a good job the defense did on Matt Forte, certainly better than what the Packers did.

* And there is no question that the player who is opening up the field on offense for the Cardinals is John Brown. No wonder why Larry Fitzgerald has been touting his 2nd year teammate because John Brown has allowed every other receiver single coverage, and for Larry Fitzgerald, who has been bracketed time and time again the past decade, this is a renaissance!

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not sure "The Red Hummer" is gonna stick.

enjoyed the rest of the write-up!

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
Great write up. David Johnson and John Brown are turning into serious weapons on offense. The DBs are playing really well this year -- arguably the best in the NFL. Mauro has played well and I think it is time for Rucker to take some of Gunter's snaps. I am still worried about the outside pass rush, but really excited at the start of the season.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Great write-up Mitch. It's always fun to re-live the game through your words.

I heard BA say that he wanted PP out there on that punt return, but then 2nd guessed himself & stuck with JJ Nelson & then changed his mind again, but it was too late to get PP into the game.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Very nice workup Mitch. You very obviously had your finger on the pulse of this game all along. So very many of us really look forward to your reports of the Cards games. You have a wonderful way of wording it so that we can all understand what was happening. Thank you so very much.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great write up Mitch, but no mention of the best football player on this team................Honey Badger!!!!!!

He's reminding me of a young Troy Polamalu. He's all over the field & is so disruptive. I think he's only getting better too. He's such a difference maker. With a stronger pass rush, our secondary can be a turnover machine.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
* Thus I was hoping the Cardinals could just keep a lead going into the locker room for half-time so that Bettcher with the help of his veteran assistants such as LB coach Bob Sanders could make the proper adjustments.

* Therefore, I was especially happy and impressed to see Palmer and the offense respond yet again with a 9 play 80 yard TD drive which featured a diet of 3-4 yard Chris Johnson runs, a 13 yard pass to John Brown on a third and ten, a 7 yard pass to Larry Fitzgerald, yet another 38 yard PI call on a deep pass to John Brown and this time a perfectly executed slant pass TD to Fitz thrown where only Fitz could catch the ball.

This was huge at the time and exemplifies the difference of quality QB play vs. the alternative. We do not keep taking leads on sustainable drives. Keep making big 3rd long conversions which is pretty difficult with todays multi-faceted defensive schemes. The speed teams have to deal with this O also creates many mis-matches as D's have to respect the speed and pick their poison, as we witnessed with Fitz this last game. Palmer made them pay.

NEWARKCARD

Reaction score
Mitch great article, but you have to admit you couldn't ask for 2 weaker D's then the Saints and the Bears