No Country for Old Men

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just finished this book a couple of weeks ago. It's pretty good...almost nior in style.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just watched the trailer. Looks like it's VERY true to the book (line for line in some cases). Also, great casting for the part of the Sheriff with TLJ.

I'm very excited for this movie.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No Country for Old Men

Release Date: November 9, 2007 (limited)
Studio: Miramax Films
Director: Ethan Coen, Joel Coen
Screenwriter: Ethan Coen, Joel Coen
Genre: Thriller
MPAA Rating: Not Available

Starring: Tommy Lee Jones, Javier Bardem, Josh Brolin, Woody Harrelson, Kelly Macdonald

Plot Summary: "No Country for Old Men" is a mesmerizing new thriller from Academy Award® winning filmmakers Joel Coen & Ethan Coen, based on the acclaimed novel by Pulitzer Prize winning American master Cormac McCarthy. The time is our own, when rustlers have given way to drug-runners and small towns have become free-fire zones.

The story begins when Llewelyn Moss (Brolin) finds a pickup truck surrounded by a sentry of dead men. A load of heroin and two million dollars in cash are still in the back. When Moss takes the money, he sets off a chain reaction of catastrophic violence that not even the law - in the person of aging, disillusioned Sheriff Bell (Jones) - can contain. As Moss tries to evade his pursuers - in particular a mysterious mastermind who flips coins for human lives (Bardem) - the film simultaneously strips down the American crime drama and broadens its concerns to encompass themes as ancient as the Bible and as bloodily contemporary as this morning's headlines.

You must be registered for see images

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
It figures I was a day late and a dollar short. :D

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my roomate (a notorious movie snob, but a HUGE fan of the Coens, like me (while shunning their last three movies, like me) saw this and said he'd see it another three times in the theaters... at the least. I'm excited. Probably a little too excited but these guys, along with the Zucker Brothers, were my heroes growing up watching movies. I'd love to see a return to Blood Simple form and that's the vibe I get from the trailer.

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I loved Blood Simple, Raising Arizona, O Brother Where Art Thou?, the Big Lobowski....I think those were all Coen Bros movies. Barton Fink was pretty good, too.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I loved Blood Simple, Raising Arizona, O Brother Where Art Thou?, the Big Lobowski....I think those were all Coen Bros movies. Barton Fink was pretty good, too.
O Brother Where Art Thou? is bonafide.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Coen's are DEFINITELY in Blood Simple mode in this one. YOWZA this movie is DARK. Completely washes away the crap-ass taste left in my mouth from Intolerable Cruelty and Ladykillers. I need to see this again, but for folks who haven't seen it yet, don't go in expecting Lebowski/Raising Arizona type humor - this is as dark as the Coen's get.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Coen's are DEFINITELY in Blood Simple mode in this one. YOWZA this movie is DARK. Completely washes away the crap-ass taste left in my mouth from Intolerable Cruelty and Ladykillers. I need to see this again, but for folks who haven't seen it yet, don't go in expecting Lebowski/Raising Arizona type humor - this is as dark as the Coen's get.

so, this movie has just stuck with me for the last day and after catching the last 20 minutes of it again today (piggybacking after seeing Gone Baby Gone - which was decent) I'm ready to say it's one of the Coen's best - and that's coming from a HUGE Coen fan/critic, who's very hard to please. That being said, it's not for everyone. I think a lot of critics will say it harkens to a film like Fargo, but it's really at the opposite end of the spectrum. Sure it looks like a crime story, and it's got elements of dark humor, but it's ultimately nothing like Fargo. Again, think of Blood Simple... then imagine Blood Simple as if the Sun didn't exist.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
saw this again tonight - it's the must see (multiple times) movie of the year, especially for Coen Bros. fans.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
saw this again tonight - it's the must see (multiple times) movie of the year, especially for Coen Bros. fans.

Cheese I went and saw this last night. All I can say is WOWZA! What a damn good freaking movie. Dark as can be yet entertaining as hell. GREAT GREAT GREAT performances all the way around. I don't wanna give away to much but man I was shocked with what happened to Brolin at the end. Completely unexpected.

If any of you havent seen this do yourselves a favor and go see it in the theatre.

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, this movie was utterly fantastic, but I really disliked the ending. Bardem needs to get an oscar for his performance...captivating. So many scenes had my stomach in knots...just great tension.

Coens can flat out write movies, man.

The ending just didn't work for me though...it felt like something was left hanging out there...and I'm not a guy who wants bows and neat little packages in an ending. Heck, I loved the Sopranos ending but I felt I was set up for it. This one, not so much.

Save the last minute, this is one of the best movies I've seen in a long, long, long time.