New DC info and rumors

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ESPN has pegged 6 potential replacements:

It sounds like Fangio is not a choice of Arians and Caldwell is going to NYJ so we can cross those two off already.

Rappone and Betcher are in house and I remember Arians sounded like his candidate was out of house HOWEVER, with the possibility of Dick in a Moore role, he could go with a young assistant to pair with him.

The only outside person on the list would be wade phillips who I dont know a ton about but I know he WAS a respected DC and still could be.

Memo to ESPN

Mike Caldwell is under contract and can't simply pick up and leave.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
doubtful.... he is under contract.

its already been reported many times by multiple outlets.

Plus a new DC doesnt want to just keep all the old coaches, he will have his own guys.

Avatar bet that he signs with the jets by friday?

Last edited:

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
The #Jets D-Line may be getting stronger. Coach Todd Bowles is expected to hire #Dolphins DL coach Kacy Rodgers as defensive coordinator

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
He’ll be on the staff, but not as DC RT @PReilly_BSN: @RapSheet I thought it was already reported as Mike Caldwell as Dc?

Looks like no promotion for Caldwell.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If Caldwell is under contract the only way he can leave is if the Cards let him leave. They probably won't do that until they have decided on who will be their new DC.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Have to think it's a young guy with LeBeau as a mentor?

Can we at least hire guy who can:

Cover TE's

Not leave receivers wide open

Put constant pressure on the QB

Not let QB's like Wilson run free all over the place

So you want a DC who can play the field as well? It's all about personnel as much as it's about scheme. Bowles is a freaking genius how he was able to pull it off this season. To be in the bottom 10 or so in giving up yards but not giving up points was sheer genius(something he did in Philly as well). But we need better personnel. If we had a legit edge rusher and if D-Weed didn't decide his own personal wants were more important than the team this team would have been a top 5 defense all season in all categories.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Caldwell is under contract the only way he can leave is if the Cards let him leave. They probably won't do that until they have decided on who will be their new DC.

doubtful.... he is under contract.

Mike Jurecki ‏@mikejurecki 1m1 minute ago
Update: Hearing Cardinals LB Mike Caldwell will join Todd Bowles staff as the Asst. HC. #Jets

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hearing Dick LeBeau will be joining the Cardinals coaching staff at some point in a similar role as Tom Moore. He won't be the coordinator.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't understand the criticism of our defense...yes we gave up some big plays, but with an even average QB all season, we were probably a 14 win team lol.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
RE: athletic LB comment. We had Washington and we still had TE problems. This year we had a lot less TE problems than last year...it's was night and day.

I want Dick Lebeau as our DC. He will bring respect and solidarity to the position. Players will follow him...there won't be a drop off.

on another subject I'm really wondering how the Cards are going to deal with their cap issues.

OP
OP
BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hearing Dick LeBeau will be joining the Cardinals coaching staff at some point in a similar role as Tom Moore. He won't be the coordinator.
Great news. His influence on the D will be huge.

BA has the respect of a lot of coaches.

Now who do we get to work with LeBeau?

OP
OP
BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying the Defense was not good. It was good.

But there are areas that need improving.

Too many times WR's and TE's were wide open and nobody within 10 yards of them. Scheme issue or blown coverage?

We let QB's run all over the place at times it became ridiculous. Did we need to put a spy on them? Keep a DT based in the middle to cut off the lane up the middle?

The pressure issue is it all players and talent or coaching?

So is it all players, injuries, coaching or all of it?

Seems like LeBeau was able to keep his defenses playing well consistently over the years and I'm sure Pitt had injuries and other issues to boot.

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I thought we had more problems covering TEs last year. That said, Foote could not cover anybody. How many times did we see him chasing the TE?

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Update: Hearing Cardinals LB Mike Caldwell will join Todd Bowles staff as the Asst. HC. #Jets

Doesn't change the rules about him being under contract, just means the Cards have given permission for him to go.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't change the rules about him being under contract, just means the Cards have given permission for him to go.

No one said it changes rules, just letting you know that he is going with Bowles. The way things work, some assistants will always go with the DC/OC. Unless the HC is a punk.

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
ESPN has pegged 6 potential replacements:

It sounds like Fangio is not a choice of Arians and Caldwell is going to NYJ so we can cross those two off already.

Rappone and Betcher are in house and I remember Arians sounded like his candidate was out of house HOWEVER, with the possibility of Dick in a Moore role, he could go with a young assistant to pair with him.

The only outside person on the list would be wade phillips who I dont know a ton about but I know he WAS a respected DC and still could be.

Why not promote Caldwell so TB can't take him and use Lebeau like we use Tom Moore on offense?

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
Maybe we ask Mike Singletary to come in as DC, working with Lebeau I suspect we have a shot at keeping DWash together and playing at a high level

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The DC isnt the one covering TEs or rushing the QB. That has been a problem through our last 2 coordinators who were both lauded for their coaching during their tenure. It is a personnel problem.

Disagree.... kinda. I think it is a coaching problem too. It is almost like they are ignoring the TE problem that we have in order to cover up other areas/excel in other areas. We just drafted a safety that plays in the box in the first round. Who else do you expect them draft/acquire in order to cover the TE?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe we ask Mike Singletary to come in as DC, working with Lebeau I suspect we have a shot at keeping DWash together and playing at a high level

please god no.

Disagree.... kinda. I think it is a coaching problem too. It is almost like they are ignoring the TE problem that we have in order to cover up other areas/excel in other areas. We just drafted a safety that plays in the box in the first round. Who else do you expect them draft/acquire in order to cover the TE?

I think Cannon was drafted to play S and cover TEs and then we ended up with no linebackers and had to improvise. To me that is just fueling my claim that it is a personnel problem, not a scheme problem.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard