NBA Free Agency: Realistic options for the Suns

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see if they go for him over Steven Adams or keep both longer term. Adams is a MUCH better defender, Kanter a much better offensive player. Adams 21, Kanter 23. If they can keep both they should but if they have to get rid of one it'll be interesting to see if they go offense or defense.

If I were the Suns, I would try to get my hands on either center if they become available in a trade. IMO, the Thunder might be better off keeping Kanter. Another player who seems to have lost value is Mason Plumlee. He is another player the Suns should pursue if he hits the market.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I think we should make a play with a sign and trade (for a max. deal) for Jimmy Butler, who I believe will be a major star away from Derrick Rose. I would think something like Bledsoe, Keiff, and a first round pick that we received in one of the trades, for Butler (Max. Deal) and whatever filler they would need. Then you would have Knight (re-signed), Butler, Len, and Warren to build this team around. Plus you would still have this years first round pick. What do you guys think?

I'm on board with that deal.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm on board with that deal.

but Chicago wouldn't be. why would they want to trade a guy who could be a major star, who's incredibly young? They already know they can't depend on Rose, but they're going to get rid of the guy they can depend on... for a tweener G making a ton of money, a guy who's not as good as Taj Gibson and a middling first rounder? Not gonna happen, IMO.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I guess so. :)

Adding Spencer Hawes would have helped the Suns solidify the center position for a reasonable price.

I am a bit suprised he went for so little, I guess teams did not like his long term contract.

I think he should compliment Al well.

Hornets now have Jefferson, Vonleh, Zeller, Biyombo and Hawes.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a bit suprised he went for so little, I guess teams did not like his long term contract.

I think he should compliment Al well.

Hornets now have Jefferson, Vonleh, Zeller, Biyombo and Hawes.

It seems the Hornets value size. I'm not so sure the Suns should not follow the same path with Bledsoe, Knight, Goodwin, Warren and Len in place. Of course the Suns need to add more shooting.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Monroe is a stretch 4? WHAT? Dude can barely shoot at all from even within 8 feet.
Monroe is more of a center than a forward.
Btw nothing screams "stretch 4" more than shooting 38% from 5-9ft, 31% from 10-14ft , 36% from 15-19ft and 0% from 20-24ft
603 of 853 FGA he took were within 5ft.
http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/202328/stats/shooting/

Plus how many times does it have to be said that

a) the Suns are not going to have max caproom as it is
b) due to the cap exploding next year it is very unlikely that teams are going to let go of desirable players unless you massively overpaid even under consideration of the new cap.

So you can basically rule Kanter and Monroe out. Monroe would need the max and Kanter might even approach the max too and would have to have a reason to leave OKC for the Suns.
Millsap will get a max deal somewhere.

There are teams more desperate than the Suns with more capspace available.

I meant to say Millsap is a stretch 4. Honestly, PHX is going to have to overpay at this point to bring in guys, no matter who they target. Currently, Bledsoe is the only player making over $10M a year so PHX could afford another max contract easily. What do you suggest they do stick with the 38 win roster they have now? A major roster overhaul is needed here.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I meant to say Millsap is a stretch 4. Honestly, PHX is going to have to overpay at this point to bring in guys, no matter who they target. Currently, Bledsoe is the only player making over $10M a year so PHX could afford another max contract easily. What do you suggest they do stick with the 38 win roster they have now? A major roster overhaul is needed here.

We don't have max caproom!!! At best we will have maybe close to 15M$ to work with and this assumes that we let go Brandan Wright.

Paul Millsap is one of the top FAs out there, he can choose his team he will get max or near max offers somewhere because MANY teams have a lot of caproom and can freely spend it since next year the cap goes up so much that all teams will have money to spend.

RFA's will be impossible to get because there is no financial downside to matching those contracts when you have so much money available unless you offer a max contract to a RFA that is not even close to worth it.

Realistic targets for the Suns are 2nd tier role players like Thaddeus Young, Jordan Hill or young players with upside like KJ McDaniels or role players like Kostas Koufos.

From the top tier list I think LaMarcus Aldridge would be the only one that the Suns could realistically go after. Rumors are that the Spurs are not interested. Houston has no money, not sure about Dallas.
Aldridge is from Texas, Phoenix is close to home and he would fit really well and if the Suns can make room to offer the full max that for Aldridge should start somewhere around 20M$ I assume than maybe the Suns would be in consideration at least. The Lakers are likely to go after other players like Kevin Love. If they draft Okafor or Porzingis they are probably going after guards.

I can't see us creating max caproom to offer Paul Millsap the max which other teams will do, for Aldridge I could see it maybe. He is a clear upgrade over Markieff. Millsap on the other hand is an upgrade but Markieff can become better than Millsap in the short term his career trajectory has been on par or better than Millsap.

Last edited:

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I wonder how much Draymond Green will cost and if GSW lets him walk.

He's the ideal stretch 4 because he has playmaking ability, some shooting ability, rebounding ability and elite defense.

If the Suns dump the twins in the off season on some other team, they could perhaps go after a guy like Green.

He's also the vocal leader that Hornacek keeps crying about not having on the team.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I wonder how much Draymond Green will cost and if GSW lets him walk.

He's the ideal stretch 4 because he has playmaking ability, some shooting ability, rebounding ability and elite defense.

If the Suns dump the twins in the off season on some other team, they could perhaps go after a guy like Green.

He's also the vocal leader that Hornacek keeps crying about not having on the team.

Golden State will NOT let him walk.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Likely the Suns best chance to get one of the better players in the league is to do a sign and trade with draft pick(s) included.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Lakers do not excercise their 9 million dollar on Jordon Hill, I think if I were the Suns FO I would be all over this. He turns 28 in July.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/238261/Lakers-Unlikely-To-Exercise-$9M-Option-On-Jordan-Hill

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Jordan Hill is a very solid big man.
If Wright leaves, Hill is a good replacement.

I can see one of the contenders go for him, Spurs/Clippers

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jordan Hill is a very solid big man.
If Wright leaves, Hill is a good replacement.

I can see one of the contenders go for him, Spurs/Clippers

Jordan Hill is a solid player, but so is Wright, and he already has a role here. The last thing this Suns team needs is more "solid" players that think they deserve a bigger role.

I have no gripe with Jordan Hill, except that he is NOT what the Suns need. The Suns need stars, not solid players.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Jordan Hill is a solid player, but so is Wright, and he already has a role here. The last thing this Suns team needs is more "solid" players that think they deserve a bigger role.

I have no gripe with Jordan Hill, except that he is NOT what the Suns need. The Suns need stars, not solid players.

Wright? Really? You are OK with Wright being the backup PF/C enought to not go after Hill?

I hate to tell you, but these mythical stars don't sign with teams that don't have solid players, unless we are talking about a big market team.

Suns are terrible on all positions. They can't afford to pass on good players hoping for LeBron or KD to sign with them. Stars want to win, and they won't win with Bledsoe, Len, Knight, Tucker, Wright, Knight, Morris twins, and PJ Tucker.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Wright? Really? You are OK with Wright being the backup PF/C enought to not go after Hill?

I hate to tell you, but these mythical stars don't sign with teams that don't have solid players, unless we are talking about a big market team.

Suns are terrible on all positions. They can't afford to pass on good players hoping for LeBron or KD to sign with them. Stars want to win, and they won't win with Bledsoe, Len, Knight, Tucker, Wright, Knight, Morris twins, and PJ Tucker.
Wright. I mean, right! :)

Not to mention that Brandan Wright is now listed at 210 pounds. That is the same as Gerald Green.

We're talking about the backup C-PF position. Is there any other team in the NBA with a 210 pounder as its backup Center/Power Forward?

And, to boot, backing up a Center who has yet to prove he can stay healthy and out of foul trouble and a Power Forward who can't control his temper and has referred to himself as undersized at the PF position.

It got me to thinking, why are the Suns obsessed with going small at the 2 power positions? Perhaps, it is easier to coach Small Forwards than post players.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did anyone watch how effective wright was at the end of the year?

But perish the thought, the program says he is 210 lbs. forget the fact that he was rebounding blocking shots and the best low post defender on the floor (often for both teams). Bc I cannot for the life of me figure out why you think the Suns are obsessed with going small at center or even pf. Len, Lopez and Gortat. The Suns last three starting centers. Nothing small about any of them. markieff is prototypical in size for a pf. Please get in touch with reality or watch a game now and then.

Again. The Suns need to concentrate on getting a star player. They cannot waste their resources on middling players that THINK they should get star level pt because they are overpaid as free agents.

Signing players like Jordan Hill or even Wright if he commands too much money, will only continue mediocrity.

Last edited:

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Wright is a very skinny guy, if guys like Dwight, Z-Bo, LMA, Griffin would wreck him by barely putting in a sweat.

I do like Wright though, he hustles and does what's needed. I wonder if it's too late in his career for him to gain weight and add some massive strength.

SunsFan89

Reaction score
Gambo said the Suns will get DeMarre Carroll or Danny Green assuming the Suns miss out on Love & Aldridge.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looks like David West is close to becoming a free agent, but he old.
Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_NBA 1m1 minute ago
(That assumes they let West walk/renounce his Bird Rights, which isn't a given).
Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_NBA 3m3 minutes ago
With West opting out, Pacers could approach $12M in cap room -- even if Hibbert opts in, and they keep holds for Stuckey/L. Allen on books.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its all happening. Day of opportunity. We will see what McD is made of.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson