NBA Free Agency: Realistic options for the Suns

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
People still wanted to come here at that time and Jerry was a key player in getting Nash to come here. Yes, they have to go at them hard but man...it's going to be tough just like it has been the last two times we had major cap space to lure in free agents.
It will be interesting to see if the Suns can even get meetings with those players. Reportedly, Aldridge will meet with the Raptors, among others. If the Suns can't even get him to visit, if will not speak well of their chances of signing a top tier free agent in the near future.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see if the Suns can even get meetings with those players. Reportedly, Aldridge will meet with the Raptors, among others. If the Suns can't even get him to visit, if will not speak well of their chances of signing a top tier free agent in the near future.

I think it would be hard to convince Aldridge to jump ship within the conference unless he is going to a stacked team. Its not just a Suns problem but a problem for any West team that isn't already pushing deep into the playoffs, or has the horseshoe up the butt that the Lakers do.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I think it would be hard to convince Aldridge to jump ship within the conference unless he is going to a stacked team. Its not just a Suns problem but a problem for any West team that isn't already pushing deep into the playoffs, or has the horseshoe up the butt that the Lakers do.

I think, if you look at players currently under contract, that the Suns are in a better position than the Mavs or Lakers to make a case as a team on the rise.

San Antonio can probably bring back their veterans (Duncan, Ginobili) on below market deals and try to make another run so that has to be intriguing.

Makes me wonder what LMA is looking for and why he is leaving Portland.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
They better re-sign Wright. He might be the best true UFA out there.

By true I mean a player that might consider the Suns.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I still think Buttler should be our first target, offer him a deal maybe with posion pill.

I would want to get Love or Aldridge, but I don't see that happening either. But Cavs could do sign and trade to include Thompson also.

I would even consider Amare coming back as soon as options start to go away

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still think Buttler should be our first target, offer him a deal maybe with posion pill.

I would want to get Love or Aldridge, but I don't see that happening either. But Cavs could do sign and trade to include Thompson also.

I would even consider Amare coming back as soon as options start to go away

I'm not seeing the Suns get Aldridge or Love in FA. The same with Jimmy Butler. I think Robin Lopez or Jordon Hill would make the Suns a better team. The Suns are rumored to be interested in DeMarre Carroll. Likely the Suns will have to trade for a big man they like.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Anyone else going to be pissed if we spend 12 (or 10 really) per year for Carroll or Green? Paying above average role players that kind of money seems insane - not only will it not really move the needle in terms of making the playoffs, but it will hamstring us from a cap perspective moving forward.

Either get a star, or don't waste the money. As McD himself said, "you win big in this league with elite players". Considering what Green and Carroll are making, I'd rather run Warren or our young wings.

I'll be interested to see what Amare will get. For 6-8 million, I'd take a shot on him. We need help at PF, and he's expressed interest in coming back. It seems worth it to to at least have our medical staff take a look.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Anyone else going to be pissed if we spend 12 (or 10 really) per year for Carroll or Green? Paying above average role players that kind of money seems insane - not only will it not really move the needle in terms of making the playoffs, but it will hamstring us from a cap perspective moving forward.

Either get a star, or don't waste th
e money. As McD himself said, "you win big in this league with elite players". Considering what Green and Carroll are making, I'd rather run Warren or our young wings.

I'll be interested to see what Amare will get. For 6-8 million, I'd take a shot on him. We need help at PF, and he's expressed interest in coming back. It seems worth it to to at least have our medical staff take a look.

I agree with you in principle, but the problem is that you need to have good role-players to get stars to even look at you. Big stars aren't going to want to play with what we have now. Additionally, it's easier to trade for a star if you have role-players.

I think Green would be a good addition if Bledsoe (or Knight) goes bye-bye. If he has to play SF to accomodate Knight and Bledsoe, don't do it.

As far as Amare goes, the Suns' medical folks did take a look at him years ago, and said "No thanks!"

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I agree with you in principle, but the problem is that you need to have good role-players to get stars to even look at you.

Of course, but overpaying role players eats up all of your salary cap and then you can't afford stars.

As far as Amare goes, the Suns' medical folks did take a look at him years ago, and said "No thanks!"

Yeah, they said no dice to a 100+ million dollar extension. Needless to say, Amare won't be signing a giant contract at this point, so the situation is completely different.

For the right price, he could be a nice addition at a position of immediate need.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Either get a star, or don't waste the money. As McD himself said, "you win big in this league with elite players". Considering what Green and Carroll are making, I'd rather run Warren or our young wings.

I like DeMarre Carroll. He is tough as nails and he would bring leadership to the Suns. However, I'm reluctant to throw large money at him because they have Warren and Tucker on the roster. Maybe they look at Carroll as a player that can play both forward positions. I guess my primary concern is the money. Maybe the Suns plan to make a trade later on for a big man before the trade deadline.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Yeah, they said no dice to a 100+ million dollar extension. Needless to say, Amare won't be signing a giant contract at this point, so the situation is completely different.

For the right price, he could be a nice addition at a position of immediate need.

I lean No on Stoudemire. The Suns have to establish a culture of accountability on both ends of the floor. If you bring back a former fan favorite who always considers himself the first option on offense and can't play defense, that plan goes out the window. Stoudemire would probably help the team win some games, and might help the overall level of enthusiasm, but the cost in long-term team identity is too high.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
http://hoopshype.com/team/phoenix-suns/
David Aldridge tweeted that PHO is among the 7 teams LA will be visiting this week starting tomorrow with LAL. Maybe that is why they are trying to trade for Cousins, to pitch to LA that he will not be the only move made to make LAL a contender again.

I could see Randle as a center piece in a deal for Cousins, the question is will LA include Russell or try and pressure SAC into taking Randle and some fillers for Cousins, possible as the LAL have pulled off some heists against teams with no leverage...hello Pau Gasol....hello Dwight Howard.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I lean No on Stoudemire. The Suns have to establish a culture of accountability on both ends of the floor. If you bring back a former fan favorite who always considers himself the first option on offense and can't play defense, that plan goes out the window. Stoudemire would probably help the team win some games, and might help the overall level of enthusiasm, but the cost in long-term team identity is too high.

Considering the current "popularity" of the team, I can't see any move the Suns can make (outside of signing a star) that would create more of a positive impact on the fans. Sure, he doesn't play any defense, but he can still score on his own. (something very few of our players can do) Our alternative is running Kieff's disgruntled ass out there.

For 5 or so million a year on a short team deal, (and the blessing of team doctors) why not? Seems like a better idea than overpaying for 2nd tier players.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
They need a player that is clearly better than Markieff.

Heartening to hear the LMA will at least visit. They will try to sell him on building around him with a young improving roster.

If they get Aldridge to build around the existing core I think they have a real shot at top 4 in the west and contending in the next two years.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They need a player that is clearly better than Markieff.

Heartening to hear the LMA will at least visit. They will try to sell him on building around him with a young improving roster.

If they get Aldridge to build around the existing core I think they have a real shot at top 4 in the west and contending in the next two years.

He had all of that in Portland. Jumping ship to Phoenix just doesn't make sense. IMO, his agent has lined up interviews to stroke his ego before he heads to Texas to be closer to his kids with the off chance he goes to LA to be in the limelight.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
http://hoopshype.com/team/phoenix-suns/
David Aldridge tweeted that PHO is among the 7 teams LA will be visiting this week starting tomorrow with LAL. Maybe that is why they are trying to trade for Cousins, to pitch to LA that he will not be the only move made to make LAL a contender again.

I could see Randle as a center piece in a deal for Cousins, the question is will LA include Russell or try and pressure SAC into taking Randle and some fillers for Cousins, possible as the LAL have pulled off some heists against teams with no leverage...hello Pau Gasol....hello Dwight Howard.

It won't happen. Sacramento has plenty of other partners to deal with who can dramatically outbid Randle. The Gasol trade was bizarre because no one knew he was even on the market, then the Grizz ship him for, what at the time, was a fraction of his worth. With Howard, I wouldn't call that a heist. The Magic got a lot of value in that swap, especially considering the hole they were in.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He had all of that in Portland. Jumping ship to Phoenix just doesn't make sense. IMO, his agent has lined up interviews to stroke his ego before he heads to Texas to be closer to his kids with the off chance he goes to LA to be in the limelight.

I don't think we will get him, but from what I understand he is leaving Portland partly because he feels under appreciated. His relationship with the Blazers went sour. I think even if the Spurs, Lakers and Mavs were not able to get him he would still jump ship, even if it appeared to be a lateral move.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
He left Portland for some reason.

I hope it is because he wanted to be the best player on his team and wasn't going to get that recognition with Lillard around.

Arizona is close to Texas. Closer than Oregon. By distance and climate.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
LaMarcus Aldridge will meet with seven teams in free agency in the following order:

Los Angeles Lakers
Houston Rockets
San Antonio Spurs
Phoenix Suns
Dallas Mavericks
Toronto Raptors
New York Knicks

Aldridge is not currently planning on meeting with the Portland Trail Blazers as they've already offered a full maximum contract.
Sucks that we're after the Spurs who are the favorites to sign him.

Still, I think this is a waste of time. Suns need to focus on guys who are actually realistically attainable not superstar players who are probably only visiting because their agents are dragging them along to add leverage. If i was LMA, I can't think of one good reason to sign with the Suns over all the other teams on that list.

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Earl Watson is one of his closest friends.

Selling points
Best training staff in the league Hill Nash Shaq McDyees

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sucks that we're after the Spurs who are the favorites to sign him.

Still, I think this is a waste of time. Suns need to focus on guys who are actually realistically attainable not superstar players who are probably only visiting because their agents are dragging them along to add leverage. If i was LMA, I can't think of one good reason to sign with the Suns over all the other teams on that list.

The ONLY players the Suns should be worrying about in FA are superstars. "Attainable" players are a waste of resources. If you can't get the superstar, give the young ones on the roster minutes, get the better pick next summer and try again.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The ONLY players the Suns should be worrying about in FA are superstars. "Attainable" players are a waste of resources. If you can't get the superstar, give the young ones on the roster minutes, get the better pick next summer and try again.

Yep. Overpaying mediocre talent under the guise of trade pieces is really dumb - it not only wastes our meager resources, but it moves us further away from an asset that can help us contend.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Earl Watson is one of his closest friends.

Selling points
Best training staff in the league Hill Nash Shaq McDyees

This is true. They are very close. When one of your closest friends is selling you on his team, you listen. i do think this will likely mean that the Suns also don't get played. If they are not in the picture, LMA will let him know early.

Oh, I would love for him to sign here. If not for any other reason that to shut up all the "Suns are not a FA destination talk."

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would love for him to sign here....if anything because it gives this treadmill team some sort of direction.

I wanted LeBron to sign with us last summer for the same reason.