NBA Free Agency: Realistic options for the Suns

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I know he's a little old but Al Jefferson is an UFA. If he stays in Charlotte maybe we inquire about Vonleh.

Another, rebounder / scorer PF option minus defense would be Enes Kanter. Don't think OKC can afford to match a large contract offer with 3 max deals already on the roster.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you know what really sucks? I think someone earlier said this is a terrible FA class, but it's actually a VERY good one, chalk full of young/in their prime big men. Aldridge, Gasol, Love, Jordan... All-Stars every one of them and the Suns won't even be a smidge of a contender for ANY of them. That speaks volumes as to where this franchise is.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
you know what really sucks? I think someone earlier said this is a terrible FA class, but it's actually a VERY good one, chalk full of young/in their prime big men. Aldridge, Gasol, Love, Jordan... All-Stars every one of them and the Suns won't even be a smidge of a contender for ANY of them. That speaks volumes as to where this franchise is.
+1. I think this is why the title of this thread is "Realistic FA options". The problem is that leaves building through the draft but you can't get an impact player if you're picking #13 - #15 every year. McD needs to figure out something quick or he's going to be out of a job. How did BOS go from a terrible team to a championship team with the pieces they had to get Garnett & Allen without giving up Pierce? McD was in the organization at organization at that time....didn't he learn anything from Ainge?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1. I think this is why the title of this thread is "Realistic FA options". The problem is that leaves building through the draft but you can't get an impact player if you're picking #13 - #15 every year. McD needs to figure out something quick or he's going to be out of a job. How did BOS go from a terrible team to a championship team with the pieces they had to get Garnett & Allen without giving up Pierce? McD was in the organization at organization at that time....didn't he learn anything from Ainge?

they had a high lotto pick in a loaded draft (2007) and had hit on a nice big man high school prospect years earlier with Jefferson who could be a centerpiece for Garnett.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Phoenix Suns rank 65th of 333 international teams surveyed in an ESPN/SportingIntelligence report revealing the sports franchises that spend the most on their players. That ranks 27th among 30 NBA teams.

The Suns average annual player salary is $3.9 million. The franchise’s total player payroll of $58.1 million ranks 150th.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nba/post/_/id/3628/phoenix-suns-salary-by-the-numbers

Not sure if that means that Sarver is cheap, or if the big money guys just don't want to come here, or a bit of both

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Not sure if that means that Sarver is cheap, or if the big money guys just don't want to come here, or a bit of both

It means that the Suns have curbed their habit of giving big money to guys who don't deserve it and won't move the needle. There are still some exceptions, but they've gotten better. There's no one on the roster who's really worth paying for.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It means that the Suns have curbed their habit of giving big money to guys who don't deserve it and won't move the needle. There are still some exceptions, but they've gotten better. There's no one on the roster who's really worth paying for.

and they should do the same thing this summer. Develop the young players. Keep gathering good players with reasonable contracts. Don't waste salary space overpaying for mediocre talent. Keep getting into some of these trades. I haven't agreed with every free-agent signing, trade, definitely not every draft pick, but I do believe the strategy is correct. Right now they aren't a big free-agent destination.

It's going to be really tough to get free agents here. We don't have a Jason Kidd or a Steve Nash to attract them. Possibly even more of a deterrent is the Western Conference's strength. If I was a free-agent wanting to go somewhere and make the playoffs and contend for a championship I would definitely be looking east. I would say those things weigh far more heavily than the ownership on free-agent's minds.

Joe

High Stakes

Registered
Reaction score
Trade our first rounder….. sign and trade Deal that should be made.

Suns Trade-
1st rounder 2015
Both Morris brothers
Knight

Blazers Trade
Aldridge
Fillers

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Trade our first rounder….. sign and trade Deal that should be made.

Suns Trade-
1st rounder 2015
Both Morris brothers
Knight

Blazers Trade
Aldridge
Fillers

Crappy pick, two thugs, and a mediocre PG for an All Star PF? Yeah, Portland will be all over that. Aldridge wouldn't agree to it either.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Also the Spurs will be hot after Aldridge.

So will DAL where he is from, that's where I think he ends up.

My 3 FA targets would be:

PF Paul Millsap - Will be 31 next year but PHX could use some veterans like him. Could stretch defenses with his shooting ability, great rebounder & solid defender.

SF Draymond Green - Jack of all trades player. I know PHX has Warren but Green would be a great addition because he is a skilled 2 way player.

SG Danny Green - Nice size for a SG. Can shoot and defend.

These 3 guys should should be reasonably affordable. ATL may decide to try and get a younger replacement for Millsap, GS may not be able to match a large offer for Green with Curry & Thompson max deals looming in addition to Bogut's & Iggy's salaries & Green may bolt if the price is right especially if the Big 3 don't return next season for SA.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

PF Paul Millsap - Will be 31 next year but PHX could use some veterans like him. Could stretch defenses with his shooting ability, great rebounder & solid defender.

SF Draymond Green - Jack of all trades player. I know PHX has Warren but Green would be a great addition because he is a skilled 2 way player.

These 3 guys should should be reasonably affordable. ATL may decide to try and get a younger replacement for Millsap, GS may not be able to match a large offer for Green with Curry & Thompson max deals looming in addition to Bogut's & Iggy's salaries & Green may bolt if the price is right especially if the Big 3 don't return next season for SA.

I think Millsap is the biggest name the Suns could possibly get and they should go all out to get him also. He's a veteran who has been around who could be a leader to all the youngsters. He should be able to produce for the next 3-4 years at his current level and he can rebound, stretch the floor, and play defense. With the cap jumping up next year overpaying him this offseason might not be a bad move. Also it should put Kieff on the bench, where he belongs.

Draymond Green scares me because of the idea he'd play PF here with Kieff at Center, making us smaller. It worked with Stoudemire playing center and Marion playing PF because Stat had the size if not the bulk to play C plus he was plus he was explosive enough of an athlete that he could exploit opposing on offense. Marion was a freak athlete, like Green, but playing him alongside a tiny backcourt and undersized Center isn't appealing at all.

Danny Green would be nice a signing as that would allow for a more traditional backcourt but I doubt he leaves SA for Phoenix unless he is guaranteed a starting spot and that only happens if the team ships out Bledsoe or fails to resign Knight.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

Milsap - too old, too expensive. Someone will pay him 10+

Green - good with stars around him, he wouldn't have them here. Another guy making 10 + million

Danny Green - decent player, but again, attractive as a low cost role player, much less attractive as a higher paid top 3 player.

None of these guys move the needle, or bring us closer to being a top 5 seed.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Good, decent NBA players are expensive, even the solid role players. Either you draft them or you pay for them. You've just got to know what kind of team you're building and stay laser focused.

The Suns need better players all around, and they have players under contract that need to go away...so if a strong rebounder who can defend comes along(for example) and he fits into what you envision in the long run you PAY HIM.

What you don't do is pay players that will make your team look better in the short term.

I still see no plan or clear direction.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Milsap - too old, too expensive. Someone will pay him 10+

Green - good with stars around him, he wouldn't have them here. Another guy making 10 + million

Danny Green - decent player, but again, attractive as a low cost role player, much less attractive as a higher paid top 3 player.

None of these guys move the needle, or bring us closer to being a top 5 seed.

PHX needs to do something. Ownership cannot just continue to wait for opportunities and not do anything, they will lose the fan base. These guys alone won't bring a title but it's better than nothing. How is Millsap too old when people on the board are clamoring for Aldridge who is the same age? He'll be cheaper than Aldridge. Signing these three would be dependent on other deals being made for the Morris Twins as it would create a log jam if they are still on the roster. PHX would also have to figure out what they want to do with Knight and Bledsoe.

A roster with Millsap, Green x 2 plus Bledsoe and/or Knight would be a drastic improvement compared to last season.

Use picks to get a big man to develop and eventually replace Millsap and either a playmaking PG (McConnell, Pangos) or SG who can shoot (Vaughn ) in Round 2. It would be a start.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A roster with Millsap, Green x 2 plus Bledsoe and/or Knight would be a drastic improvement compared to last season.

Use picks to get a big man to develop and eventually replace Millsap and either a playmaking PG (McConnell, Pangos) or SG who can shoot (Vaughn ) in Round 2. It would be a start.

You are definitely on the right track.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
We don't have max caproom unless we make moves or let Knight go.

So why are people even bringing up players that will obviously look for max money? Aldridge, Millsap, Draymond Green..

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We don't have max caproom unless we make moves or let Knight go.

So why are people even bringing up players that will obviously look for max money? Aldridge, Millsap, Draymond Green..

Knight is a restricted free agent so they can go over the cap re-signing him after signing another free agent, like they planned to do with Bledsoe last year. I believe his cap hold will be about 7.5 million which should give the Suns about $10-12 million in cap space to sign someone before locking Knight up. It all depends on where the cap is set at though.

Millsap won't get a max deal at his age and his level of production, that would be starting close to 20 million a year given his age and years in the league. The Hawks aren't paying that to keep him and I doubt anyone else will to lure him away since they'd just be driving the price up on themselves.

Golden State can't afford to give Draymond Green a max deal but he's not worth max money either. I doubt anyone offers him max money regardless, just like no one offered Bledsoe max money last year. If GSW wins the title this year they will probably be able to re-sign him for a fair price. Why would he leave a team he fits perfectly on and just won a title with? I seriously doubt he leaves, regardless of the money being offered to him.

Aldridge is the only player that has been mentioned that will get max money but even then he's not getting it from Phoenix. Teams like Dallas and San Antonio will be throwing max money at him to lure him away from Portland.