NBA Free Agency: Realistic options for the Suns

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would still LOVE David West here even with his old age. He's the perfect mentor for the extremely immature and young players on this team. Plus him and Warren already have a special relationship so he could mentor him going forward on the same team.

We need an enforcer, no nonsense type guy like David West on this team.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Nugget have reportedly put Danilo Gallinari on the trade block. Maybe the Suns should kick the tires if the medical staff think they can keep him healthy. He would provide a lot of versatility.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we can forget about Aldridge. The word is the real reason he wants to play for San Antonio because he has kids in both San Antonio and Dallas and wants to be close to his kids.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I realize that it isn't very likely or probably realistic but LaMarcus Aldridge could absolutely transform this team if he wants to lead a team and be "the man".
If Dallas/SA/LAL he is over shadowed somewhat but here is the leader and best player on the team.

Markieff may be inconsistent with his effort at times but as a super sub he could provide some valuable scoring off the bench.
I also like the idea of Archie as a backup attacking/scoring PG to Bledsoe.

Bledsoe/Goodwin/McNeal
(Knight)/Bullock/Booker/(Thornton)<Bogdanovich_16-17>
Warren/Tucker/Granger(Green)
(Aldridge)/Markieff/Marcus/Leuer
Len/(Wright)/(Barron)/<Brown>

(FA)
<rights but unsigned>

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have always liked Patric Young. He is VERY strong and plays with energy and abandon. He is a bigger version of PJ Tucker.

We might not win more with him, but he is one those guys I would pay to watch.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have always liked Patric Young. He is VERY strong and plays with energy and abandon. He is a bigger version of PJ Tucker.

I've always thought if Tucker were a center he would be unstoppable. I like what you say about Patric Young.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've always thought if Tucker were a center he would be unstoppable. I like what you say about Patric Young.

He is just as likely to hurt you as score on you. He is a wrecking ball on the court. If we aren't going to make the playoffs, at least give us some players to make watching interesting.

Guys that throw themselves all over the court, compete, young and can shoot. That is all interesting. Whiny cry babies that constantly get T's for complaining to the refs, well that is just annoying.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is just as likely to hurt you as score on you. He is a wrecking ball on the court. If we aren't going to make the playoffs, at least give us some players to make watching interesting.

Guys that throw themselves all over the court, compete, young and can shoot. That is all interesting. Whiny cry babies that constantly get T's for complaining to the refs, well that is just annoying.

It's about time the Suns bring in King Kong.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
6-10 250. That's not undersized, even for BC.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Patric-Young-5746/

problem is he has dinosaur arms. He's tall and he has a nice wingspan simply because he is as big as a tank. His standing reach at the combine was I think something like 8'7.5". I know when I looked earlier today it was just 1 inch over Booker's. I think Harrellson's was only 1 inch higher than Young's

That said, while I prefer long players, there is something to be said for centers and power forwards who are big enough, strong enough, and athletic enough to push opponents out of the paint on defense, cover the pick and roll, and body people out on the boards. It's kind of why I think Brandan Wright needs to defend power forwards most of the time. He's plenty long, but he gets shoved around by opposing centers because he probably only weighs 220 pounds at most.

Joe

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Okay so reading articles in the AZ Republic, McD is looking at a big FA, shooting and a back up C. So realistically they are not going to land Aldridge or Love but they could lure Millsap with enough. PHX is going to need to make a couple of moves to free up some more cap space and roster spots as they only have a couple not including Knight.

Prime trade candidates are Morris twins and Tucker. Morris twins still have legal issues they need to get resolved so Tucker would seem like the logical choice.

My 3 FA signings:
PF Paul Millsap - Capable of being a stretch 4 with shooting ability, plays defense, always had a knack for rebounding.

SF Danny Green - 3&D guy, DeMarre Carroll would be my alternate if Green is too expensive.

C Tyson Chandler - 33 years old but provides leadership, rebounding & defense. Len has had difficulties staying healthy so Chandler could step in and start if necessary. Probably won't break the bank, if necessary Jordan Hill or Ed Davis would be my alternates.

These 3 guys would provide not only glaring needs for shooting, rebounding and defense but also leadership this team is sorely lacking. Some may say these 3 won't make this team a playoff team but they can't go through another 38 win season or worse and risk getting shafted in the lottery, the only time having a bad year pays off is when a generational talent is available (SA-Duncan, CLE-James), PHI hasn't gotten any better, there's no guarantee Towns turns MIN around even with Wiggins. LA is going to need some big FA pieces along with Russell having a ROY season to make some noise in the West.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
problem is he has dinosaur arms. He's tall and he has a nice wingspan simply because he is as big as a tank. His standing reach at the combine was I think something like 8'7.5". I know when I looked earlier today it was just 1 inch over Booker's. I think Harrellson's was only 1 inch higher than Young's

That said, while I prefer long players, there is something to be said for centers and power forwards who are big enough, strong enough, and athletic enough to push opponents out of the paint on defense, cover the pick and roll, and body people out on the boards. It's kind of why I think Brandan Wright needs to defend power forwards most of the time. He's plenty long, but he gets shoved around by opposing centers because he probably only weighs 220 pounds at most.

Joe

That's right! I remember there was a reason he didn't get drafted, but couldn't remember exactly what the reason was.

I agree with your second paragraph as well.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Okay so reading articles in the AZ Republic, McD is looking at a big FA, shooting and a back up C. So realistically they are not going to land Aldridge or Love but they could lure Millsap with enough. PHX is going to need to make a couple of moves to free up some more cap space and roster spots as they only have a couple not including Knight.

Prime trade candidates are Morris twins and Tucker. Morris twins still have legal issues they need to get resolved so Tucker would seem like the logical choice.

My 3 FA signings:
PF Paul Millsap - Capable of being a stretch 4 with shooting ability, plays defense, always had a knack for rebounding.

SF Danny Green - 3&D guy, DeMarre Carroll would be my alternate if Green is too expensive.

C Tyson Chandler - 33 years old but provides leadership, rebounding & defense. Len has had difficulties staying healthy so Chandler could step in and start if necessary. Probably won't break the bank, if necessary Jordan Hill or Ed Davis would be my alternates.

These 3 guys would provide not only glaring needs for shooting, rebounding and defense but also leadership this team is sorely lacking. Some may say these 3 won't make this team a playoff team but they can't go through another 38 win season or worse and risk getting shafted in the lottery, the only time having a bad year pays off is when a generational talent is available (SA-Duncan, CLE-James), PHI hasn't gotten any better, there's no guarantee Towns turns MIN around even with Wiggins. LA is going to need some big FA pieces along with Russell having a ROY season to make some noise in the West.

I like Green, but only as a shooting guard. Unless Bledsoe or Knight go bye-bye, that's not going to happen. I'd rather give Warren some SF minutes to see what he is capable off.

I wouldn't touch Milsap with a ten-foot pole. I forget who it was, but someone on this board said years ago that Milsap has been underrated for so long that he became overrated. In my opinion, that is spot-on! I'd rather take a chance on Jordan Hill and see what he can do. (Mind you, I am not arguing he is a better player, but he should be cheaper, and he has a chance to get better. Milsap is what he is- he's not getting better.

Chandler is too old. He looked half-retired last year. I'd rather let someone else get a chance.

asuhoopsnut

Registered
Reaction score

Click on the link and watch the first video of his workout. I'd pay to see him workout.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/patric-young

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paul Coro has an excellent article at azcentral dated 6-28-15 which covers just about everything in regards to the Suns strategy in free agency. It is well worth the read.

At 9 p.m. Tuesday night, the Suns can start negotiations with free agents and again approach it with a wide-eyed vision to land a much-needed star.

The Suns are expected to start with pursuits of All-Star power forwards Kevin Love and LaMarcus Aldridge, who are unrestricted free agents, and have another priority to quickly reach contract terms with their restricted free agent, guard Brandon Knight. Signings will start July 10.

The Suns have about $12 million of salary cap space, although they will be allowed to exceed the cap in re-signing Knight. Love and Aldridge would demand maximum-level contracts, which would entail the Suns trading players to create the space.

"We're going to be aggressive and target the best players," McDonough said. "I think you'll see us go after the top guys. We hope to get meetings with some of the top free agents and sell them on all Phoenix has to offer.

"We'll ask them to be honest with us about our chances," McDonough said. "Some of it is a gut feel and a gut call about how much of a chance you have and how realistic it is to be picked by a player."

After Aldridge or Love, the Suns' next wave of big spending could be on a "3-and-D" free agent like Atlanta's DeMarre Carroll or San Antonio's Danny Green, outstanding defensive wing players who hit about 40 percent of their 3-point shots. Both are 28, prime NBA age, and unrestricted free agents. They also play with high effort, character and IQ, which the Suns need. Swingman Khris Middleton was Knight's best Milwaukee friend but he is a restricted free agent that the Bucks plan to re-sign.

The Suns will need to add more affordable size and shooting, sometimes in one player. Amar'e Stoudemire would be interested in returning to Phoenix but has averaged 50 games over the past four seasons and made $21.9 million last season.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...uns-go-big-stature-size-free-agency/29410783/

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Joe

If he was perfect, he wouldnt be playing on our summer league team.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I hope he sticks - I like having some brute strength on the team. It would be nice if he gathered in more defensive rebounds but maybe our other guys with get more when he's out there...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been watching Patric Young video. He has the ability to play defense and he is very mobile. Also he knows how to finish. He should be able to make a 15 man roster based on size and the ability to be a role player. I would feel better just having a chiseled big man on the roster. The Suns need some beef.

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Free agency starts on Wednesday.

McD is going to be aggressive in getting the top free agents.

If the Suns really want one of them they need to pursue them.

Suns sent close to 11 people for Steve Nash.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Free agency starts on Wednesday.

McD is going to be aggressive in getting the top free agents.

If the Suns really want one of them they need to pursue them.

Suns sent close to 11 people for Steve Nash.

People still wanted to come here at that time and Jerry was a key player in getting Nash to come here. Yes, they have to go at them hard but man...it's going to be tough just like it has been the last two times we had major cap space to lure in free agents.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson