Nash Might be Traded?

Roca Dolla

BIRD CITY!
Reaction score
Steve Nash is one of the many desirable names on the long, intoxicating list of 2010 free agents.

Yet it's looking increasingly probable that this summer will be the offseason that brings clarity to Nash's future, via one of two outcomes:

1. He will ultimately sign the multiyear contract extension that the Suns have been preparing for him.

2. The Suns will get a trade offer for Nash too good to resist.

Phoenix is expected to make Amare Stoudemire and Shaquille O'Neal available in trades this offseason, just as it did before the February trading deadline, but NBA front-office sources say that the Suns will soon be getting trade pitches for Nash, ready or not.

Portland, Golden State, Toronto, New York and Houston are five teams we know of that are either readying or contemplating bids for Nash, with the Blazers listed first not only because of their interest in a push-the-pace veteran leader but because they could furnish Phoenix will multiple youngsters -- Jerryd Bayless and Travis Outlaw, just to name two for starters -- if the Suns decide they want to start over.

Let's be clear, though: Phoenix has no such desire at present. Rebuilding without Nash is not something Suns president Steve Kerr is prepared to contemplate.

"I have no interest in trading him," Kerr said Monday. "I've said many times that our interest is re-signing him. Steve is the face of our franchise. I think everybody knows that we would love to be able to extend his contract so that he retires a Sun."

Before he left for an overseas soccer-watching trip to hang out with pals Alessandro Del Piero, Kaka and Thierry Henry, Nash expressed the same hope, reiterating what he's also been saying for weeks about how he hopes he "can still make it work in Phoenix."

Yet it's likewise believed that Nash -- after missing the playoffs for the first time since the 2000-01 season with Dallas -- wants to see what sort of roster maneuvering the Suns can do before he commits to signing an extension ... since Phoenix can't expect a whole lot from Tuesday's lottery with a mere 0.5 percent chance of landing the No. 1 overall pick and the right to draft Blake Griffin after going 46-36.

The urgency, though, isn't solely felt by Kerr and Suns managing partner Robert Sarver. If Phoenix can't do a lot to change its on-the-floor look before next season, Nash would be taking an undeniable risk, at 35, to pass on a two- or three-year extension.

Nash's only other alternatives, if the sides reach the fall without a deal, are to play out the final season of his contract at $13.2 million -- something neither side would want because of all the uncertainties attached -- or take the uncomfortable step of requesting a trade. (Don't forget that the Suns have already made one change largely for Nash's benefit by firing Terry Porter in the first year of a three-year coaching contract and replacing Porter with Alvin Gentry.)

"I'd imagine the odds are that I'll be back," Nash told The Arizona Republic's Paul Coro in April. "That's what I'm hoping for. I think that's what the front office is hoping for. If I had a bet on it, that would be the best odds."

The odds are good that we'll know a lot about the remaining three seasons Nash still wants to play by the time training camp hits.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&page=Chatter-090518

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
you don't name gentry your coach and then trade nash

if you do, then you immediately fire your GM

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm. I wonder why anyone would want to trade for Nash. According to a few posters on this board, Nash is the problem not the answer. I guess some other teams feel otherwise.

The article fails to mention the Suns could buy out Nash for 8M as an option... not that the Suns would want to go this way. It will be interesting to watch as the draft lottery and the draft unfolds. I wouldn't be surprised if the Suns draft a PG unless they get lucky in the lotto. This could effect Nash staying with the Suns.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
This is absurd. No one else values Nash as much as the Suns do, so there's no chance that they'll get an offer "too good to pass up."

Let me guess -- Insider?

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hmm. I wonder why anyone would want to trade for Nash. According to a few posters on this board, Nash is the problem not the answer. I guess some other teams feel otherwise.

Nash isnt the problem nor is he the answer. I just don't know the point in keeping him around anymore.

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
I don't think any other point guard can come in here and run this offense better.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is absurd. No one else values Nash as much as the Suns do, so there's no chance that they'll get an offer "too good to pass up."

Let me guess -- Insider?

The only thing absurd is your valuation of Nash. The Suns could easily get a offer too good to pass up. PG is a hard slot to fill for many teams....Not only could Nash fill it but also fill up a lot of seats in the process.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
if only these teams are interested:
Portland, Golden State, Toronto, New York and Houston

portland and houston are play-off bound.

and houston seems very happy with brooks.

portland seems to need a veteran pg that can lead them this year.
portland, lets make it happen.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Bayless isn't a pure PG, more like an Arenas clone imo. Dragic hasn't really shown he can lead playing heavy minutes either. Who would run the team in such a trade? It'd need to be Blake, Bayless, + a first. And I'd only do it if we were really blowing up the team (i.e. Shaq or Amare gets shipped out for youngsters + picks).

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If we manage to win the NBA lottery and get the top pick, I would consider moving Nash..

Thats a HUGE IF, and not sure even then, but if we add Griffen with the top pick, then you either trade Nash AND Shaq, and rebuild your team, or neither...

The ONLY way a trade with the Blazers would work financially is Nash for Blake/Outlaw/Bayless....(still only comes to 10 million in salaries, but they have a 2.5 million dollar TE, so the trade works)....

Then the suns trade Shaq for J. Howard/Eric Dampier (His contract sucks, but so does Shaq's and we get Howard, who has fallen out of favor in Dallas)...

Then we have a rotation next year of

PG: BLake/Bayless
SG: Richardson/Barbosa/Bayless
SF: Howard/Hill/Outlaw
PF: Griffen/Sideshow
C: Amare/Dampier

IMO, we would be built for now and in the future...

Or if we landed a top 3 pick, and add rubio, we could potentially play outlaw/hill at the 4 and just run the daylights out of everyone...

I don't know, this was my realistic bext guess as to what could happend with Nash, and even now I am not thrilled with any scerenio....

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only thing absurd is your valuation of Nash. The Suns could easily get a offer too good to pass up. PG is a hard slot to fill for many teams....Not only could Nash fill it but also fill up a lot of seats in the process.

Isn't the above post contradictory to your previous post. See below.

Nash isnt the problem nor is he the answer. I just don't know the point in keeping him around anymore.

Indeed PG is a hard slot to fill including for the Suns. This is why one keeps him around.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Isn't the above post contradictory to your previous post. See below.

Indeed PG is a hard slot to fill including for the Suns. This is why one keeps him around.

Nash is more valuable to a team on the cusp of moving up or on the verge of winning a title...not to our team who has been stagnet (actually regressing now).

What does keeping Nash around do for the Suns at this point? Win a few more games and nothing more?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I think Nash could be the key for a team loaded with athletic players that can play defense and compensate for his shortcomings. He is still one of the best at running an offense.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Nash,Shaq and Amare aren't going anywhere. It's virtually inconceivable to trade these guys. Nothings going to happen to this aging roster over the summer because the SUNS are unable to move these guys without getting some crappy young players and old fat contracts in return....the SUNS have zero leverage and these guys have negative trade value. Nobody is interested in Nash...... and holding onto these old guys and their contracts is the best way to rebuild the team.
How do I know this?.....*Elindholm said so.
You must be registered for see images

We can all go home now, nothing to see here, move along.:D

* forgive me, i couldn't resist. No hard feelings.

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
It really all depends on what happens tomorrow evening. If the Suns land a top 5 pick I'm guessing they end up with James Harden and they'll probably dump Nash and whoever else they can. If they land in the teens we're going to see the same mediocre geriatric squad next year.

HooverDam

Reaction score
It really all depends on what happens tomorrow evening. If the Suns land a top 5 pick I'm guessing they end up with James Harden and they'll probably dump Nash and whoever else they can. If they land in the teens we're going to see the same mediocre geriatric squad next year.

Well its a top 3 pick or nothing. If the Suns get 1 or 2 they'll take either Rubio as their future PG or Griffin and try to pair him next to Amare. Or I could see them trying to trade down a few slots but that rarely happens. I can't see them taking James Harden with the #3, no matter how much the home town connection would sell jersies. The off guard is the one area they don't need help at. With the #3 I could see them taking Thabeet though to pair with Amare for potentially years to come, his defense may make up for Amares poor defense. On the other hand he'd clog the lane just as bad as Shaq.

Earl Clark or Johnny Flynn at #15 would be a-ok by me, though they'd still be very mediocre next year.

EDIT: err 14 not 15

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I believe the Suns can only move up from #14 unless the lottery gives them a pick 1-3.

I'm an ASU fan, but I think Harden has average written all over him. Maybe it's why I'm not a scout. :)

I would at best place him at the end of the first round but more likely the second round. He's just not very athletic to be a SG and does not appear able to create his own shot. He certainly did not impress me in the NCAA tournament.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nash is more valuable to a team on the cusp of moving up or on the verge of winning a title...not to our team who has been stagnet (actually regressing now).

What does keeping Nash around do for the Suns at this point? Win a few more games and nothing more?

I think there is one other thing that hasn't been discussed much. I don't think Kerr wants to hear about giving a lottery pick to The Thunder in the KT giveaway. IMO, this is one of the primary reasons the Suns want to make the playoffs next season. One can only imagine if Kerr potentially gave The Thunder the first pick (or a 2-3 pick) in the NBA draft next season. There would be so much criticism from Suns fans Kerr would be driven out of town. I want the Suns to get at least an 8th seed in the playoffs next year for this reason alone.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort