Names to watch at trade deadline

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
All is speculation at this point, however here's some of the names I think could (and in some cases WILL) be moved come July 31. I'll include my own pros and cons to each.

Start first with the pitchers.

Ricky Nolasco

- Reportedly, a half dozen teams have inquired about Nolasco's services. The ones that have been most actively pursuing him are reportedly the Texas Rangers, Los Angeles Dodgers and Colorado Rockies.

Pros: : Despite having a subpar record this season, and not exactly the most eye popping ERA (3.85 at current print), it also should be noted he's allowed three ER or less in 12 out of his 17 starts in 2013. Further breakdown, the Marlins have scored one run or been shut out in nine of those 17. Thus, could his numbers improve with more run support? The outings he's put forth this season while playing on one of the crappiest teams in baseball seem to indicate that a relocation could lead to better numbers than indicated on stat sheets this season.

Cons: First things first, looking at career numbers as a whole, Nolasco has been mediocre at best. In seven and a half seasons as a pro, his ERA has been below 4 just once prior to 2013 (2008) and has been over 5 twice. His career ERA average is at 4.44, you toss out 2008 and this first half, it's closer to 5. Secondly, Nolasco is a free agent at the end of the season, and the Marlins are asking for several top prospects for him. I question whether it's worth giving up multiple top prospects for a pitcher who's career numbers have been iffy and who is going to possibly walk at season's end.

Matt Garza

- A trade from Wrigley is almost guaranteed. Question is, how much will his asking price entail? Could he come cheaper than what Miami is asking for Nolasco or what Milwaukee might for Gallardo? Or even what the Cubs might ask for another of their SP (Jeff Samardzija)?

Pros: Does have a proven track record of respectability and has shown glimpses of being a very good pitcher (led the AL in shutouts in 2008, was the ALCS MVP in 2008, has thrown a no-hitter in his career). He's also got that October experience that might be appealing to a contender, and on the numbers look, he's had a respectable career ERA (3.82) and an equally impressive WHIP (1.28). He's capable of going deep in innings when healthy, which for a team with a questionable bullpen would be a nice plus.

Cons: Like Nolasco, he's a free agent this off-season and is looking at a big payday. Also has battled some injury issues in Chicago, and missed substantial time in each of the last two seasons. Like Miami, the Cubs will be looking for top prospects for him. While he's looking very good since his return from the DL, is the combined injury and departure risk worth the potential half season reward?

Bud Norris

- Other than possibly Jose Altuve, Houston is willing to dump any player on their roster that might bring them value in return.

Pros: He's still young (just turning 28) and only 4 years in to his MLB career. He's shown gradual improvement over the last three seasons, despite playing on a crappy team. Still has some upside and was once considered one of Houston's future building blocks and top prospects. Won't be eligible for free agency until 2016, and is still on a reasonable contract ($3 mil per season). Won't cost whoever acquires him a massive amount of prospects.

Cons: In 2013, his strikeout rate is down and his WHIP is up from his career averages. Even in his best years so far, he still allows too many baserunners and doesn't have the strikeout numbers he's capable of. Had a ton of potential when called up to Houston, but hasn't always lived up to it, and while he's not exactly ancient, the clock is ticking on whether he'll ever live up to his upside. Would he be any more than a solid #4-#5 here? Is he any better than what the team already has?

Jake Peavy

- Kevin Towers familiarity with Peavy could come in to play with any move made. Chicago's looking to move to get younger. Peavy's an intriguing option for a contender.

Pros: Let's get the obvious out of the way immediately. He's familiar with pitching in the NL West Hell, in past he proved he was capable of DOMINATING the NL West. His past history obviously speaks for itself, and Towers knows exactly what he'd be getting with Peavy. He's a 4-time All-Star, won the NL Triple Crown for pitchers and was one of 10 players in MLB history to win a unanimous Cy Young Award. Made the All-Star Game again in 2012, seems to be getting back to old form. Another who I think Arizona could acquire without having to trade Skaggs, Delgado or Bradley. Under contract for another season and a half.

Cons: Had a few seasons where he fell off the map entirely. Also has an injury history. While he's under contract for the remainder of this season and all of next, at $14.5 million dollars per season, are the Diamondbacks going to be able to absorb that kind of salary?

Yiovani Gallardo

- It's been a rough year for the Brewers. With the team currently sitting in last place in the NL Central and their chances of catching St. Louis, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh dwindling more and more each day, the time for the Brewers to dump and rebuild may be now.

Pros: Just turned 27 years old, and still has some upside and growth potential. Signed to an extremely reasonable contract ($2.58 mill this year, $11 mill next and a $13 mill option for 2015), and wouldn't be just a half season rental. Has had a very respectable career so far, finishing among the Top 10 strikeout leaders in the National League during each of the past four seasons, fanning an average of 203.8 batters per season and 9.4 Ks per 9 innings from 2009-2012. Already has over 1,000 strikeouts in his young career. Even in a "down year," he's in the top 30 in strikeouts amongst pitchers in the National League. Has yet to post an ERA above 3.84 in his career. Even if not an ace, at worst when he's on, he'd be a damn strong #2 pitcher.

Cons: Even when on, tends to walk a fair share of batters and has been homer prone. Also, it's been an extremely tough 2013 for Gallardo so far. Was arrested in April, and on field it's been a struggle. His ERA currently sits at around 5, his K-9 rate is down to 7.45, he's allowed 10 hits per 9 innings and his home runs allowed so far are the worst of his career. His fastball velocity is down to around 90 mph, down nearly 3 mph off his average. Also, I can't see the Brewers accepting anything less than a package surrounding one of their big three pitching prospects.

Jeff Samardzija

- The Cubs have put the FOR SALE sign on the doors of the hallowed halls of Wrigley Field. Scott Feldman was the first to go, but it's highly unlikely he'll be the only one. The former Notre Dame WR called this trade "unfortunate." Will he be following Feldman and likely Garza out of Chicago?

Pros: In just three years as a starting pitcher, "The Shark" has shown glimpses of ace potential (average ERA of 3.37, 1.24 WHIP). This year, he's put it all together, with a 1.20 WHIP, a 3.34 ERA and a 9.53 K-9 rate; ranked 8th in baseball at this category and his 120 strikeouts are 7th in all of baseball. To give you an idea, he's ranked higher than Felix Hernandez in K-9 and higher than Justin Verlander in total strikeouts. Suffice to say, he's in pretty elite company there. Also has three years left on his contract. He's wanting a new deal, one wonders if the Diamondbacks acquire him, if they might not just be able to nab him early while his value is moderate.

Cons: Still developing as a starter, not yet safe enough to call a "proven commodity." What's his price tag going to cost to re-sign him and keep him happy? Is he going to cost Arizona one of the big three?

Will get to the hitters later.

OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
Now for some batters who COULD be on the market... On paper, both Josh Willingham and Corey Hart would be on this list. Willingham however is out until August and Hart is gone for the year, so both are out of the picture.

Giancarlo Stanton

- At 23, his best days are clearly ahead of him. Will Miami continue dismantling and go for broke?

Pros: Where do I begin? The kid is already an All-Star and considered an elite power bat. He has absolutely destroyed the baseball at every level, and is doing so in the Majors. He has over 100 homers in his young MLB career and just turned 23. How high is his ceiling from here? Needless to say, barring the complete unforseen, Stanton is just getting started. Could you even begin to IMAGINE a Goldschmidt-Stanton 3-4 in the lineup????

Cons: On field, none. However, make no mistake about it-- if Miami DOES put him on the block, I really can't name a team in baseball who won't inquire. A full blown bidding war is definitely possible. How far down in the farm can the DBacks go to match what Miami wants? Would they have enough to beat a prospective Texas offer of Profar, Olt and others? Also, it should be reiterated that there's NO guarantee Miami trades him.

Mark Trumbow

- Major league power, however with the Angels needs elsewhere, could he be expendable?

Pros: Major power. Hit 29 homers in his first season as a starter for LA, then followed up with a 32 homer 2012; and has 18 homers in 2013. Still young enough (27) and signed to a very team friendly contract for the next three seasons.

Cons: Will the Angels actually follow through and trade him? If they do, would Arizona have the pieces to appease the Angels in to making a move?

Michael Morse

- While the Mariners just re-acquired him up in the off-season; could his second go around Seattle be an abbreviated one? The Mariners are going nowhere, he could be a potentially valuable trade chip.

Pros: Has some moderate pop, decent batting average, OBP and Slugging Percentage. Can play multiple positions (1st, either corner outfield position) and could be had for a reasonable return. When given a full-season of at bats, he produces.

Cons: A bit of a late bloomer (31) and needed six full seasons in the bigs to fully catch his "groove." Has an injury history. Seems more of a short term investment than a long term option. Free agent at the end of the season.

Michael Young

- The long time Texas Ranger changed teams for the first time in his career this off-season. However, could he be on the verge of changing them again just a half season after leaving the Rangers?

Pros: Quietly has had a very productive MLB career (7 time All Star). Can play all of the every-day positions. Solid run producer

Cons: At 36 and under contract for just the remainder of the season, he's only a short term rental. While he puts the ball in play and his RBI totals are indicative of his ability to drive in RISP, his power numbers are beginning to dip. While never a true "elite" power hitter, what power he had seems to be diminishing. After hitting 20+ homers in back to back seasons (2009-2010), he's hit just 24 total since.

Nate Schierholtz

- Has had a nice brief run in Wrigley.. However, will his run be just that? Brief?

Pros: By all accounts, Nate is a hard working hustler who would fit in nicely with the current mentality of Kirk Gibson's club. He's good defensively and wouldn't hurt in a pinch. On pace to hit 20+ homers and seems to be showing signs of a bat.

Cons: 45 percent of his career homers came this season (11). Is this new ability to hit the long ball a sign of things to come when teams give him a chance to start regularly or merely a small mirage in a career year?

Alfonso Soriano

- His seven year run in Wrigley is coming to an end. Assuredly, he'll be going to a team where he'll have his first chance to play in October in a decade.

Pros: His track record of hitting for power is proven. While he's not getting any younger, he also doesn't seem to be slowing down. The last time he had a season with under 20 homers was in 2001.. Last time he hit under 70 RBIs in a season was in 2000. As we speak, he has 10 and 40. He's on pace to continue that streak and for a team in need of power down the stretch, you know what you're getting with Soriano.

Cons: He's 37. While his numbers are still solid and he doesn't seem to be facing issues with his age (he hit 32 homers and 108 RBIs on a garbage Cubs team in 2012), sooner or later time catches up with the best of them. In Soriano's case, I'd bet on the sooner. The Cubs would have to eat a substantial portion of his contract in order to trade him (he's making $17 million this season). He's also a free agent at the end of the season, although it goes without saying that he's not going to command anywhere near his current contract figure. Seems like Chicago has been trying to trade him forever yet can't seem to pull the trigger on a move. Will this be the year they're finally able to?

sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score
I'd trade the house (other than Bradley) for Stanton. I'd happily give Skaggs plus two or three other top prospects

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they can land Stanton, I'd forgive them for Cody Ross. And that's saying a lot.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
If they can land Stanton, I'd forgive them for Cody Ross. And that's saying a lot.
The Marlins are not going to trade Stanton this year. Perhaps next year when his trade value will be up to $80MM.

D'backs fans, we need to stop fantasizing. Or putting Stanton in the same breath with Cody Ross. The Marlins are going to feel sorry for us so we can make up for the Upton trade? Stanton is the best young power hitter in the game. Miami will hold all the cards.

http://www.fishstripes.com/2013/6/2...i-marlins-giancarlo-stanton-not-trading-block

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Marlins are not going to trade Stanton this year. Perhaps next year when his trade value will be up to $80MM.

D'backs fans, we need to stop fantasizing. Or putting Stanton in the same breath with Cody Ross. The Marlins are going to feel sorry for us so we can make up for the Upton trade? Stanton is the best young power hitter in the game. Miami will hold all the cards.

http://www.fishstripes.com/2013/6/2...i-marlins-giancarlo-stanton-not-trading-block

Yes, because the Marlins have never, ever had a fire sale, dumped Vets on the cheap, etc.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score

I agree by and large. I am not expecting him to be traded. Now that being said, if Texas offers Jurickson Profar, Mike Olt, Martin Perez, Rougned Odor, Cody Buckel, Leyonis Martin and Joey Gallo for Stanton, I think Miami would say yes to something like that. And no, I'm not exaggerating when I say it's going to take that much to get Miami to even consider trading him.

For Arizona? It's going to take Bradley AND Skaggs just as a starting point. I'm picturing Bradley, Skaggs, Owings, Davidson, Trahan, Pollock and either Ahmed or Marte to get Miami to blink. I know noone wants to trade both Skaggs and Bradley, however in order to get Stanton, the Marlins are going to take a "you can't have your cake and eat it too" approach. As they should.

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I agree it would take at least Skaggs and Bradley to get Stanton. The question is would it be worth it?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stanton is the only name available that I would consider trading anything for.

Agreed. He fixes a lot of ills. Most of them, really. He's the guy you want hitting behind Goldschmidt. That would make the top of the lineup as formidable as anyone's.

Honestly, even if it costs us Archie Bradley, whom we could probably just trade for in two years and get back, anyway. Even if it costs us Bradley and Skaggs. Giancarlo is an everyday rightfielder coming off a season in which he put up better numbers than what's-his-name we just traded. He's young and he's got a somewhat similar personality to Goldie. He's worth whatever unfulfilled promise Bradley and Skaggs presents.

Pull the trigger. Go get 'em. He makes the D-Backs a legitimate contender RIGHT NOW and he makes them a solid team going into the future.

Last edited:

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Agreed. He fixes a lot of ills. Most of them, really. He's the guy you want hitting behind Goldschmidt. That would make the top of the lineup as formidable as anyones.

Honestly, even if it costs us Archie Bradley, whom we could probably just trade for in two years and get back, anyway.

I like the trade for Stanton but not if it involves Bradley. IMHO

sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score
It would hurt to see Bradley go, but for player like Stanton at 23 years old, I'd consider it. You can't expect to get a talent like Stanton without giving up a star

OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
Some other star.

If you want a brand new hybrid car that gets 45 miles to the gallon, be prepared to pull out the credit card.

The Marlins aren't going to budge in their asking price if they elect to trade him. They're wanting the farm, and frankly they should.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Skaggs is dealing tonight. Towers better not trade him but we know he probably will.

AZ Native

Reaction score
If you want a brand new hybrid car that gets 45 miles to the gallon, be prepared to pull out the credit card.

The Marlins aren't going to budge in their asking price if they elect to trade him. They're wanting the farm, and frankly they should.

Not really. This is the Marlins. As much as I like Stanton, I am not giving them Bradley. We can package a few players for him and keep Bradley. BTW, my 10 year old car gets 43 MPG without the credit card.

OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
Not really. This is the Marlins. As much as I like Stanton, I am not giving them Bradley. We can package a few players for him and keep Bradley. BTW, my 10 year old car gets 43 MPG without the credit card.

Texas contacted Miami about Stanton.. They were promptly told Profar wasn't part of the deal, one wasn't happening. Profar is considered by and far the best prospect in BASEBALL.

Point is, the Diamondbacks can offer every package of prospects known to mankind, if Bradley isn't included, the Marlins aren't talking. In fact, I'll go one step further and say if Bradley and Skaggs aren't, the deal isn't flying.

AZ Native

Reaction score
Texas contacted Miami about Stanton.. They were promptly told Profar wasn't part of the deal, one wasn't happening. Profar is considered by and far the best prospect in BASEBALL.

Point is, the Diamondbacks can offer every package of prospects known to mankind, if Bradley isn't included, the Marlins aren't talking. In fact, I'll go one step further and say if Bradley and Skaggs aren't, the deal isn't flying.

Then I don't do it. Keep the young homegrown pitchers and build around them.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

Even if the Dbacks could get Stanton they can't afford the $100 million + its gonna take to resign him.

Only big market teams need apply and that's a short list.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Ironically, Baseball Tonight analysts recently were saying that TEX overvalued Profar as he has not had the impact they expected with the big league club so far this year. However, the kid is only like 20 years old and the pressure put on him is making it difficult to reach the expectations set for him. I agree with most in that ARZ needs to forget about Stanton as he will be too expensive in terms of prospects and $$$ to re-sign. Other hitters to consider: OF Alex Rios, OF Andre Ethier, 3B Aramis Ramirez. All those guys would cost less in terms of prospects but Ethier and Rios are signed for big money for the next couple of years, so that would be the problem for ARZ.