What the Trade Deadline Showed

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Two things are typically expressed at the deadline. Which teams think they have a shot at the playoffs or more. Also who thinks they could have a better draft and can save some FA cap space by dumping players of value. Those targeting the playoffs include the Eagles, Jags, Niners, Lions, Vikings, Seahawks & Bills.

Those semi-tanking include Giants, Commanders, Packers, Browns & Cards.

The two teams that on the surface don’t seem to fit the typical pattern are the Bears & Falcons. They are semi-tanking despite a few writers putting them in category one. Both of them acquired players at positions that are tricky to draft. Both of the acquired players have pass rush ability, though Sweat is far superior. Street is more of a rotational player who’s struggling somewhat this season. Both acquiring teams have one thing in common. For the most part they have weak QBs and typically can’t score enough points to win. They’ve calculated the acquired players won’t make enough of an impact to alter their draft trajectory. Both players, however, could help in their respective rebuilds.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Both players, however, could help in their respective rebuilds.
I get the idea, but both of these players are going to be free agents in two months.

I think Atlanta is under pressure to win now. I think Ryan Poles is under pressure to save his job -- what does he care about future draft picks if he's not around to use them?

I guess these teams can get some additional intelligence on the players by having them in their building for a little while, but it doesn't make sense to give up assets if you're considering a rebuild.

Street could be a good FA option after this season for the Cards. Just 27, played on a one-year deal, could blossom from a 3-sack/year guy to a 7 or 8 sack guy.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Commanders, ugh

i was out of town for the opener, and ended up listening to the Commanders pre game and radio broadcast

they were sure optimistic and talking about grabbing a wildcard slot

eight weeks later............

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I get the idea, but both of these players are going to be free agents in two months.

I think Atlanta is under pressure to win now. I think Ryan Poles is under pressure to save his job -- what does he care about future draft picks if he's not around to use them?

I guess these teams can get some additional intelligence on the players by having them in their building for a little while, but it doesn't make sense to give up assets if you're considering a rebuild.

Street could be a good FA option after this season for the Cards. Just 27, played on a one-year deal, could blossom from a 3-sack/year guy to a 7 or 8 sack guy.
Bears have already started to negotiate with Sweat. The move says they will pay what it takes. Street is a low end value. His performance this season would make him unattractive to me.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson