My take on 2011-----

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Well, here we are at the precipice of another season. I guess that now would be an appropriate time to list my feelings about how I think things might go for the Cards, and how I feel about this roster.

Front Office-----finally has joined the 21st Century after wallowing in the l9th for so very long. Great job by a smallish FO during the first four days of Free Agency. Good job during the draft. Big addition, moving Steve Keim out here into the valley so that he has a good handle on what is needed, (and so that he can actually present possible fixes to the HC on personnel matters that he spots just by being here everyday).

Coaching staff-----one of the best moves by the team this off season, straightening out the coordinator positions on both sides of the ball, (having a pass coordinator, and a run coordinator, just plain sucked), and adding Ray Horton to the 'D' side of the ball looks to prove a winner.

Offense-----my oh my, where to start. The tight end situation is light years ahead of anything we have had since (almost ever). Heap is in a class with the better ones we have ever had, and now having King, Housler, and Dray in the fold is going to provide depth that we couldn't have dreamed of before. Not only do we have a TE receiving corps to throw to, but we have blockers downfield. In addition, (and this is BIG), we no longer have to tip our hands by the personnel groups we put onto the field. We have the luxory of being able to include them in a passing game, or use them to help block in a running game, or even to chip and help out with an edge rusher who is giving a lineman trouble.

The WR position is set with Fitz being locked up long term, (and that distraction no longer a matter). In addition, the maturation process of Andre Roberts, Stephen Williams, DeMarco Sampson, and Chansi Stukey have made the loss of Steve Breaston (and his bad knees), more bearable and probably not something that will be sorely missed. A healthy Early Doucet, who once again had a good pre-season, might become trade bait for one of those people we have not yet found for our defense, (especially in light of the fact that he more than likely will not be retained next year). Isiah Williams might be slid onto the practice squad, where his services will be valued, and his talent given a chance to develop further.

Running Back looked to be a dead lock before Ryan Williams went down. It can still be solid, (especially if we can snare a complimentary back to Beanie when the cuts are announced). LSH is a perfect go-to guy out of the backfield, and Alphonso Smith has shown the ability to make the first guy miss, and if he can stay healthy will contribute. The position looks to be adequately staffed, provided Beanie continues to run like he did his initial year. As I said, a back-up to Beanie will probably be available after today.

Offensive Line-----this unit has gone from poor performance, to looking like a solid unit during this preseason. Although Skelton did suffer a high ankle sprain, NONE of our QB's were beaten up in pre-season. The best part of this unit is that there is some real quality depth there, at each position, and there is beginning to be an attitude among the linemen that has been missing. That should continue to develop so long as we continue to run the ball with enough frequency to make the run be a factor that defenses must consider. This line has had very little opportunity to take their frustrations out on someone across the line from them, as they have almost exclusively been a pass blocking unit. Nothing gets older quicker than continually having to stop the other guy's charge, snap after snap after snap. It is healthy for the biggies to get a chance to bust somebody in the chops occasionally, and be able to move them against their will. We have the people who can do that, AND we should have the running backs to pack the mail.

Quarter Back was my biggest concern this off season. The seizing of Kolb, and the acceptance of him by Fitzgerald, has gone far to reduce that concern. The maturation of Bartel and his assymillation into the offense has been astounding, and one of the bigger surprises of the off season. The fact that there will be genuine competition between Skelton and Bartel for the #2 slot is a big plus, and I no longer feel that we are weak anywhere at QB, although Kolb needs to continue to mature into a pocket passer and rely less on moving back or sideways. I feel that ALL the players have responded well to all 3 quarterbacks, and that everyone is ready and willing to go into battle with whomever is the healthiest of the three on any given weekend, because all three have shown the ability to take charge of the huddle and make things work.

Defense-----I am particularly pleased with the development of our D-line. Williams, Dockett, and Campbell have all shown the ability to get a push to the QB. Having Eason and Holliday backing up the DE's is great depth, and especially having David Carter jump up and sieze the back-up NT slot has been HUGE in the middle. As Carter learns, and Williams plays himself into better shape, this unit has a big upside, and it is already starting pretty high.

With the linebackers, there are still questions. I hope to see Schoefield continue to respond to the tounge lashing he received from Whizenhunt after the Raiders game. He has been somewhat up and down since then, but does have some sacks and hurries. There is not much from any of the other OLB's, with only Acho having much upside aside from OBEScho. At the inside positions, the sooner Stewart Bradley replaces Lenon, the better off we will be. Lenon provides good depth, but not so much as a starter. Daryl Washington needs to continue to improve also. Depth inside is weak unless Sturdivant is a hit, or we find depth in the cuts.

The Secondary-----that we had been touting for its strength, has become suspect through injury and trade. Jefferson has been stellar but at this point, Peterson is an unknown at the other starting spot. Marshall and (when he returns), Michael Adams will be the depth until we find better. Kerry Rhodes is solid at the FS position, and when he returns, Adrian Wilson should do well again at SS. Rashad Johnson is still the only help on the horizon unless we sign a player cut by someone else.

All in all, I feel good about our prospects for a decent season. The schedule is favorable, and we have enough offensive talent to put lots of points on the board. The defensive line is solid and deep, and although we are somewhat thin at LB, we do have some talent, and should be adequate. The secondary will determine how, (or if) we can manage to get off the field after third down. That will determine how much we have the clock, and how much we allow opposing offenses to score on us. As of right now, I am feeling far better about our chances of having a positive outcome in the regular season than I did even a month ago. This coaching staff has done some remarkable things in a very short time, and provided they don't try to pile too much onto the players by way of new playbook and scheme, we should be OK. I like our chances to be competitive in the NFC West, and I especially like the way the schedule closes out this year, with 4 home games in the last 5. If we can win our division, (and that seems to be a real possibility), then who knows where we can go with a season of experience under our belts.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The Secondary-----that we had been touting for its strength, has become suspect through injury and trade. Jefferson has been stellar but at this point, Peterson is an unknown at the other starting spot. Marshall and (when he returns), Michael Adams will be the depth until we find better. Kerry Rhodes is solid at the FS position, and when he returns, Adrian Wilson should do well again at SS. Rashad Johnson is still the only help on the horizon unless we sign a player cut by someone else.

Well I hope you're wrong about the secondary once again. :D

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Nice writeup Catfish, I dont agree with everything but you know, thats life. I agree whole heartedly about the TE corps. I think everyone is worrying a little too much about the WR situation because as Cardinal fans, we have forgotten what it's like to actually have a dangerous TE. I will constantly be praying for Heaps health because he can be a game changer all year.

My main feeling about this season is simple. I honestly feel that this team is 250% better than last season. Especially on offense. Preseason last year was so pitiful that I had no hope, it was just clear that that team didn't have the talent or the confidence to do anything, I still cant believe we won 5 games. We couldn't throw the ball downfield, we couldn't execute a screen, we couldn't get a stinking first down.

This team, while still coming together, is miles ahead of where we were last year. I'm not sure what our record is going to be, but I can guarantee with certainty that we are going to play BETTER football than we did last year.

GO CARDINALS!

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice job, Fish.

I've gotten the warm fuzzies about two things: 4 to 11 and Coach Horton up in the booth.

Can't wait for September 11th. Go Cardinals!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my take on the season?

Offensive fireworks.

Legendarily Bad defense.

Solid ST.

7-9

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my take on the season?

Offensive fireworks.

Legendarily Bad defense.

Solid ST.

7-9

Hmmm. Mildly disagree on 4 of 4. Mediocre offense, weak but improving defense and well above average special teams. I'm sure it's the koolaid drinker in me but I think we split our schedule.

Steve

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. Mildly disagree on 4 of 4. Mediocre offense, weak but improving defense and well above average special teams. I'm sure it's the koolaid drinker in me but I think we split our schedule.

Steve

yeah... it probably should have read "Offensive fireworks... both good and bad".

and ST will probably be pretty damn good.

but yeah... can't go anywhere near close on weak but improving D. They'll be the most atrocious lot we've seen in a long time i fear.

regardless of all that... I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE 11TH!!!!!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah... it probably should have read "Offensive fireworks... both good and bad".

but yeah... can't go anywhere near close on weak but improving D. They'll be the most atrocious lot we've seen in a long time i fear.

My biggest concern with our D centers around the safety position. If we can get even slightly below average performance out of Adrian or his replacement, I think this defense will be just what I said (weak but improving). I shudder to think what will happen if we go into the season with Wilson manning the position if he's even more ineffective than last year. On the plus side though, I really believe we're going to be pleasantly surprised by our linebacking group. But ditto on the anticipation!!!

Steve

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score

This is where I am at also. The D will depend on if Campbell comes to play and Big Dan holds up physically. The backups are better than Robinson and Branch so we may be better at getting to the Qb but I think we give up lots of points and don't score as many as we think we will.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison