My JJ history/thoughts

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
This kid has an eminence amount of talent, but we also have to remember everyone wasn't even sure if he could play a starting role at the beginning of last year. This is the same kid that couldn't take the pressure in Boston being a high pick. This is also the kid that was a trow in on the deal. JJ could not take the pressure of having a rundown broken SG playing behind him. This is also the same player that has not scored over 18pg. If he doesn't want to be part of this team, then let him go. Lets see how he handles the pressure of being the go to guy and face of a franchise. I am sure it could turn out to be a TMac situation but Atlanta doesn't even have close to the talent as Houston or Orlando.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do I hear a chorus:

Nah Nah, Nah Nah Nah Nah, Hey Hey Hey, Goodbye

:biglaugh:

Reaction score
JJ was being mentioned as a ROY candidate (along with tinsley) during the first part of his rookie year. He did worse and worse as O'Brien gave him less and less minutes leading up to his trade to the Suns.

I've always felt JJ was a rythym shooter and needed minutes (and the ball, often) to be effective. People point to the fact that Nash made him better while ignoring the fact that for most of his career he played with the Anti-Nash (Marbury). If Nash made him better (he did), why not accept the possibilty that Marbury made him worse?

He seems to be the type of player that, giving the ball early enough in the shot clock, will make something happen. I don't see the need to talk so much trash about him as I've seen on this board. He'll be an All-Star next year in ATL. I have little doubt about it. He sees an opportunity to play his game and he's taking it. Goodbye Joe.

Having said that, we don't need him. We don't need someone who needs the ball in his hands early and often to be an All-Star player. We need another shooter that can create his own shot when the game slows down. Finley would be perfect.

We needed JJ's games several times last year, but we didn't need it all the time. I'm ok with someone else getting all of Joe's game as long as we get someone to replace the part we used. I honestly think Finley and Bell will fit just fine here.

I think we will be in the WCF next year as well. And I think Joe will be a stud in Atlanta. He's a good guy and I'm happy for him. No need for the unwarranted animosity that has been posted by several people here about him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obviously, I have mixed feelings towards JJ because I have always been an avid supporter of him even when his play was erratic. If he would have just been more open to talking to the Suns early on, I would have felt better about his decision.

I think the Suns invested heavily in his evolvement as a player both with playing time and confidence building.

I guess it's hard to accept that JJ chose to play hardball with the Suns. This isn't the JJ I thought I knew.

Yes I know Sarver bungled the situation with JJ both last year and this year. However, I believe JJ could have at least given the Suns the courtesy of talking to Suns Management early on before the FA signing date. I still hope some of the comments attributed to JJ about playing with certain Suns players is untrue.

I think JJ must share in the blame of the botched negotiations as well as Sarver and JJ's agent.

It's a bitter pill to swallow as a Suns fan to invest emotionally in the growth and maturity of JJ as a player and then for him to say, he doesn't want to play in Phoenix anymore.

Perhaps the essence is, JJ was so quiet, maybe I didn't know the real JJ.

I really thought he enjoyed the fans and his teammates here in Phoenix and would want to stay here if the money was equal or better. I guess I'm still confused. :confused:

Perhaps it's best for all parties to move forward.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
Yes I know Sarver bungled the situation with JJ both last year and this year.

Not challenging you and I realize most people here seem to feel this way, but how so?

Do you think JJ earned more than was offered last summer, how?

Do you think JJ is a max player and has proven he deserves a max contract, how?

Is Sarver, a business owner obligated to lose millions just to please some Suns fans, even if it 'might' mean a championship?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KloD said:
Not challenging you and I realize most people here seem to feel this way, but how so?

Do you think JJ earned more than was offered last summer, how?

Do you think JJ is a max player and has proven he deserves a max contract, how?

Is Sarver, a business owner obligated to lose millions just to please some Suns fans, even if it 'might' mean a championship?

Mr. Sarver is a new owner and has invested countless millions in purchasing the Suns and acquiring Steve Nash and Q so I give him every benefit of the doubt (including this sign and trade).

However, it was obvious to me last year (and I said so... I believe on this Board) that if JJ's contract was not extended last year that the result would be a sign and trade of JJ or Marion this year. Just simple mathmatics involving the luxury tax.

Mr. Sarver should have wrapped up JJ then for 55 million, but it's hard to fault him as a new owner who had already so heaviliy invested in the Suns.

Second, Mr. Sarver, if true, should never have given a take it or leave it offer to JJ. This creates a hostile business environment.

Yes, in this year's market JJ is a max player. I think locking up JJ last year for 55 million would have been a steal based on how I and at least some Suns management projected his development as a player. I'm sure you have your opinion as well.

And I do think I am a pretty good judge of talent since I have been watching the Suns team since their inception and watching as many rookie camps as possible. Yes, I remember Cedric Ceballos, Negele Knight, Jeff Hornacek and many others pass through. Do you remember or even know that Jeff Hornacek actually taped some of his middle fingers together on his shooting hand to straighten his shot (and what a shooter he became)? I do.

And if Mr. Sarver isn't concerned about pleasing the fans in an entertainment industry he shouldn't own a team. Also I thought sporting teams were supposed to have winning a Championship as their goal?

Last edited:

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
...Also I thought sporting teams were supposed to have winning a Championship as their goal?

Not to mention, winning a championship is not just for pride. A team that wins a title or even is expected to win a title is likely to sell more tickets and merchandise. So, if a team cuts a few million in salary and becomes a lottery team, the owner may or may not save money.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard